Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573493 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #4275 on: July 16, 2019, 11:00:05 PM »
Really nice work Chris. Thanks for taking us along on the “ pre-published “ edition.

Whiskey

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4276 on: July 17, 2019, 12:11:26 AM »
Really nice work Chris. Thanks for taking us along on the “ pre-published “ edition.

Whiskey

Wonderful to have you all along, I could not have done it without you folks all helping me!  Just the last couple of chapters to write, and wait for the Lombard series to finish up next spring.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #4277 on: July 17, 2019, 08:27:34 AM »
Hi Chris,
 This sucker just keeps getting bigger & bigger!

Have you been checking the elves mail lately? Wondering if there subscription to Charles Atlas Body Building for all arrived yet?    :lolb:

Just a suggestion....... on the hold down strap thru the cab, can I suggest a block under the cab so when you pull up on the strap it pulls down on to it. Helps to prevent thing bouncing around..... the last thing you won’t in 100 pounds of carefully crafted metal getting lose in a confined space with you present!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4278 on: July 17, 2019, 01:12:08 PM »
Hi Chris,
 This sucker just keeps getting bigger & bigger!

Have you been checking the elves mail lately? Wondering if there subscription to Charles Atlas Body Building for all arrived yet?    :lolb:

Just a suggestion....... on the hold down strap thru the cab, can I suggest a block under the cab so when you pull up on the strap it pulls down on to it. Helps to prevent thing bouncing around..... the last thing you won’t in 100 pounds of carefully crafted metal getting lose in a confined space with you present!

Cheers Kerrin

Hi Kerrin,

Not sure where you mean, a block between the base and the frame under the floor? Or between the strap and the cab floor?  The way it is now, the strap runs across the cab floor and down to the base on either side.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4279 on: July 17, 2019, 03:08:17 PM »
Getting to work on the valve and throttle bearing blocks this morning, started with fitting the blocks for the caps and drilling the cross holes for the valves and throttle, also the holes in the lifting rings behind the bearing blocks:

Next will shape the tops of the caps down to size...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4280 on: July 17, 2019, 08:13:54 PM »
Caps trimmed down and bearings made/installed, these are simple tube bearings so quick to bore/turn/trim to size.

Next I think will be pistons and crossheads...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #4281 on: July 17, 2019, 08:54:09 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Great work as always Chris!

I didn't realize Lincoln pennies were so big! (wait a minute.....)  :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #4282 on: July 17, 2019, 09:08:32 PM »
Dog that is one bad ass little engine and a lot of metal carving. Great job all around Chris all respect due...... :praise2:

:drinking-41:
Don

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #4283 on: July 17, 2019, 10:30:05 PM »
Chris:

I know that Velcro is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but are you sure those straps are going to hold?  I've no doubt that they'll hold under normal conditions and keep the model from sliding around.  But I've got a what-if for you, what if you get into a situation where you are braking hard, are those Velcro straps gong to be enough to protect you from the model?

Just playing Devil's advocate here,
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4284 on: July 17, 2019, 11:08:29 PM »
Chris:

I know that Velcro is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but are you sure those straps are going to hold?  I've no doubt that they'll hold under normal conditions and keep the model from sliding around.  But I've got a what-if for you, what if you get into a situation where you are braking hard, are those Velcro straps gong to be enough to protect you from the model?

Just playing Devil's advocate here,
Don
I think so, the blocks around the tracks take most of the load, the straps hold them down into them. There is 6 inches of overlap per strap, and the straps are bolted down. There will also be rope around the boom and the handles, and the base will be tied with rope to rings in the cargo deck.

:cheers:

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #4285 on: July 18, 2019, 02:17:28 AM »

You can't fool us, that's one of those George Britnell coins  :lolb:

Nice work Chris, I've been following along steadily.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4286 on: July 18, 2019, 02:38:25 AM »

You can't fool us, that's one of those George Britnell coins  :lolb:

Nice work Chris, I've been following along steadily.

Yeah, you got me, its a giant coin. And the Sherline is really a big Bridgeport with a Sherline skin on it....   :Jester:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4287 on: July 18, 2019, 02:44:30 PM »
Changed my mind on which parts to make next, going to do the stand which holds the steering engine up vertical on the cab floor. This is made from some sheet stock, rough cut then trimmed down on the mill, clamped to the wood block I used when making the booms many moons ago.

Here are the parts shaped to outline, next will cut the openings in the vertical plate and the base plate, then can drill for some temp screws to hold it all together for silver soldering the joints. I assume that the openings are there for access to the big end caps and to allow the rods/eccentrics to slide in from underneath during assembly, maybe also to reduce the amount of metal needed in the castings, the openings are there in the original.

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #4288 on: July 18, 2019, 03:42:15 PM »
Chris, this is the first time I have seen the hold down clamps used with a block of wood, now the choice becomes what wood to choose? Hmmmm would save me from removing the big vice and then having to square it all up again.

Mike
If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #4289 on: July 18, 2019, 04:13:48 PM »
Good morning Chris,

Boy that penny in the photo really brings to scale the small size of that engine. Beautiful job :ThumbsUp:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal