Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573356 times)

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #4260 on: July 13, 2019, 04:02:11 AM »

Jerry
Thanks Jerry! Others could make smaller engines, but this is about as small as I want to go, and this engine has to swivel the rear tracks with a fair bit of weight on them.

Why English'mum' though? Never heard that version.

Because simple rhymes that don't are a plague on the order of things.  I suppose the giant could have said "Fee fi fo fun" and I would have been as comfortable with it. Bur maybe it is the offence to the ear that makes it memorable.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4261 on: July 13, 2019, 07:45:44 PM »
The other side of the cylinder block has been milled to form the flanges, like the first side was. Here is a shot of the parts after a little handwork cleanup, test fitting the screws to hold the parts together. It is next to the crowd engine on the main boom for comparison, the crankshaft is just resting near where it will be, next up will be to make the bearing caps and drill all the holes for the rods.

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #4262 on: July 13, 2019, 08:31:26 PM »
Beautiful work Chris! Cute little bugger it is...

:popcorn: :cheers:

John

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #4263 on: July 13, 2019, 10:14:56 PM »
Damn Dog you make that look to freaking easy...but can I say .......I.........like........ :Love:

:popcornsmall:
Don

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #4264 on: July 13, 2019, 11:08:04 PM »
Chris--Still watching, impressed all to pieces. ---Brian

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4265 on: July 14, 2019, 03:38:27 AM »
Thanks guys, great to have you following along!    :cheers:

Offline kvom

« Reply #4266 on: July 14, 2019, 03:03:00 PM »
Getting close!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4267 on: July 16, 2019, 12:13:29 AM »
Not much done on the steering engine this weekend, all I got cut was one pair of notches, for the center of the bearing caps on the crankshaft - the center of the shaft is recessed down and the caps have projections to match, which help lock it all in place.

One thing that has come together is the work on the display/transport base, which has been going in the background up in the wood shop the last couple weeks. It is a 2' x 5' piece of 1/2" thick birch plywood with a poplar wood rim notched to fit it. The base is tapered in the back half to make it a little smaller behind the tracks, and the top was coated (roughly) in Bondo to smooth over the joints and to make it look more like a quarry floor. I want to get some small scale boots, make some footprints and maybe have one stuck in the mud off to one side...

On the underside of the plywood are some reinforcing chunks of plywood with blind T-nuts that take the screws that hold the handles and track holders in place. Those all unscrew easily and can be removed for display, but make it possible for two people to lift this beast and carry it. I also have a large-wheeled hand truck (like for moving boxes and appliances) for trundling it out the house. Next up will be to add some velcro straps to the blocks around the tracks to keep it from shifting in the car, also a strap to keep the bucket from swinging.

Closer view of the block locking in the rear tracks, straps will go over the tracks to keep them from bouncing up.

All those blocks, around the tracks and the ones for the handles, bolt through to the t-nuts underneath so they are quite strong. When removed, all that shows are small holes, that are, um, drill holes for dynamite, yeah!
Closeup of the surface - I found some rattle-can spray paint from Rustoleum that comes in several shades, and it comes out in multiple colors and with grit to give a faux-stone look. That saved a lot of time with airbrushing and dry-stippling on paint, looks pretty good. All those dark bits are from the paint - it comes in different shades, from light sandy to darker grey and black. It does not go as far as a normal can of spray paint, since it is a thicker mix with a larger bore nozzle, and it takes several hours to cure up, but it does a nice job for this purpose.

So, will start attaching straps to the top blocks, and continue work on the steering engine. This base needs to be done for its trip out to the quarry in a couple weeks for its big photo shoot. With the handles at each end, it is now possible to pick up the model and move it safely, with two people. The handles will be, um, 'handy' for lashing it to the tie-down rings in the back of the car so the whole thing doesnt slide around.

As Kvom said, getting close!!

:cheers: :cheers:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #4268 on: July 16, 2019, 04:05:27 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: oh, and here's some for you Chris... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Before you swipe borrow the elve's boots for footprints / stuck boot detail, better sweep up the chips on the shop floor, or there could be an elf strike.

(especially since that RC sub surfaced in the birdbath while they were waterskiing last week and scared the c^@p out of them....)  :Lol:  :cheers:

Maybe the base holes could be said to be for the elves' beer empties (in addition to dynamite holes). I see you cleared out the stack under the ash chute..... :naughty:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 04:08:51 AM by cnr6400 »
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4269 on: July 16, 2019, 04:18:32 AM »
 :lolb: :ROFL:

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #4270 on: July 16, 2019, 03:29:31 PM »
Somehow I had not realized how big this model is, and it hit home when you mentioned two people to move it.  Looks fantastic.

Mike
If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4271 on: July 16, 2019, 04:45:04 PM »
Somehow I had not realized how big this model is, and it hit home when you mentioned two people to move it.  Looks fantastic.

Mike
Thanks Mike. The engine parts are small, but the model overall is the biggest I have ever done. 4-1/2 feet long, just under 100 pounds. The original machine is about 75 feet long, 128 tons, we are very lucky to have it survive all these years sitting outside the quarry.

:cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4272 on: July 16, 2019, 08:05:02 PM »
Today I am splitting time between the bearing caps on the steering engine, milled to fit recess and drilled/tapped into the block:

They are ready for drilling for the crankshaft then rounding over the tops.
Also got the tiedown straps on the base. These are double-sided velcro strap, great for this use since they have hooks all the way down one side and loops all the way on the other, comes in rolls. A length at each end with 4 or 5 inches of overlap works great, very strong.

and a loop through the rear of the cabin to hold that end down, easier than getting under the cab to get around the rear tracks, and if the set screw loosened up on the rear track pivot it would just lift off the tracks, so this is more secure.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #4273 on: July 16, 2019, 09:48:08 PM »
BAD PUN ALERT          BAD PUN ALERT                BAD PUN ALERT        BAD PUN ALERT             BAD PUN ALERT
looks like the shovel had a visit from Mr I Mobile-Ize.

(sorry)    :Lol:    :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4274 on: July 16, 2019, 10:17:49 PM »
BAD PUN ALERT          BAD PUN ALERT                BAD PUN ALERT        BAD PUN ALERT             BAD PUN ALERT
looks like the shovel had a visit from Mr I Mobile-Ize.

(sorry)    :Lol:    :cheers:

:facepalm:

Was just in the woodshop making up the brackets to hold the base to the handcart, to ReMobilize it!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal