Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 597630 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #4020 on: June 08, 2019, 11:24:14 PM »
No, I didn't bother with pictures. After your tenth "Antique Engine XXX show", all of the stuff begins to look the same. Today was more of a "Bonding with Grampa" day. Nobody else in the entire family is interested in this mechanical stuff, but Bren shows promise. It was a good show, as far as that kind of thing goes. The granddaddy of all steam shows happens on the long weekend in August in Cookstown, about fifteen miles south of here.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4021 on: June 09, 2019, 12:28:07 AM »
No, I didn't bother with pictures. After your tenth "Antique Engine XXX show", all of the stuff begins to look the same. Today was more of a "Bonding with Grampa" day. Nobody else in the entire family is interested in this mechanical stuff, but Bren shows promise. It was a good show, as far as that kind of thing goes. The granddaddy of all steam shows happens on the long weekend in August in Cookstown, about fifteen miles south of here.
Whats the name of the show there?

EDIT: think I found it, it is first weekend in August. Wish I could make it there, but I will be at the Finger Lakes Liver Steamers 50th anniversary event that weekend, should be showing the Lombard model there by invite from the Live Steam editor. Here is the link to the show in Cookstown:
https://www.steamshow.ca/
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 12:53:57 AM by crueby »

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4022 on: June 09, 2019, 12:51:11 AM »
The owners of the campground posted a bunch of pictures from the submarine/boat run today, here is a album with copies of them for any who are interested:
https://postimg.cc/gallery/1i7mhpcxw/

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #4023 on: June 09, 2019, 12:55:03 AM »
Here's a link. I'm going to miss it this year. I have eye surgery scheduled for the 15 and 29 of July. Got Cadillacs on my eyes.
https://www.steamshow.ca/events.htm

Online crueby

• Rochester NY

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #4025 on: June 09, 2019, 01:46:34 AM »
The owners of the campground posted a bunch of pictures from the submarine/boat run today, here is a album with copies of them for any who are interested:
https://postimg.cc/gallery/1i7mhpcxw/

Hello Chris,

Boy that black hull Motor Sailer is gorgeous. Looks like a big turnout.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #4026 on: June 09, 2019, 01:48:49 AM »
I like the red! really pops!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: Great work Chris.

When operating it in public eventually don't be surprised if firemen and dalmatian dogs want to hang around it though - You may need to physically restrain the firemen from compulsively polishing any copper or brass they see, to a mirror finish!  :Lol:  (I descend from three generations of firemen and fire engineers - no dull brass is safe with those guys)  :ShakeHead:

I think that is one of the reasons Chris paints so many brass parts, If the Elves went on a polishing jag it would bankrupt Chris in Basso costs, They can't help it, it comes from all that toy making early in there lives.
Gerald.
PS Just watch out for the odd one who turns to weathering, I have had to ban mine from watching Adam Savage and any prop making videos.
If they watched Adam Savage your bigger worry would be C4 and flamethrowers!!

C4 I keep locked up off premises, Flamethrowers come under  burner development and by my wife's demands must be done out side (No one argues with her).

Gerald.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 01:57:08 AM by steamboatmodel »
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4027 on: June 09, 2019, 08:46:53 PM »
Couple more short sessions in the shop today between time outside now that summer finally made it here. Got the faux rivets on the front roof panel (actually real rivets, but they only go through the one panel, the panel under it at the front of the main roof is free to move so it can come around the backstay).

Also made the little cupola that comes out of the roof to give ventilation for the steam dome/safety valve/whistle assembly. It is bent out of a small piece of copper, with tabs to lock it onto the opening in the roof. The tabs are short at one end to allow it to be slipped in at one end extra far, dropping in the other end, then sliding back to final position (it comes in from underneath, which keeps from having to overbend the cupola arch). You can also see some of the magnets glued to the panels on the inside, which hold the roof in place against the steel roof crossbeams. They are placed on the sides of where the lengthwise beams are, which keeps the roof from slipping to the side. Held in place with some gel superglue, also put a layer over the top/sides to keep them from popping off if the roof is flexed.

Here it is from the top:

A few rivets along the tab will lock it all into place and draw up the edges. Then I think all that is left on the roof is to trim the edges of the panels and start painting. The roof will be painted grey to match the insides of the walls.
Close to being done on the cab - after the roof I need to make the hoist and steering engine throttle linkages up to the operators station. The control levers were made when the lower levers were, so just need to make the pivots and control rods. After that, all that is left is the boiler and the steering engine. I think I will do the boiler first - have some copper tube coming for that, should be here tomorrow. Still have the thick copper sheet for the endcaps and plenty of bronze rod, as well as some safety valves and sight glass fittings.

The end of the build is in sight - still small in the distance, but in sight!
 :cheers:

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #4028 on: June 10, 2019, 04:45:46 AM »
Chris......polished brass or copper tubes to the engines & valving inside of the cabin may be on the plan set, but are you going to let the copper roof sheeting panels age naturally & discolor :embarassed: to that tarnished green tinge ?.....

That aged patina would be very attractive  :P ....& a liberal smear with Bakers Soldering Flux would speed up the process

Derek  :wine1:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 04:57:01 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #4029 on: June 10, 2019, 10:07:30 AM »
Hi Chris,
 Have the elves gone on strike? I’ve been away for 2 weeks and ONLY 7 pages to catch up on, what’s going on!  :lolb: :lolb:
Right back to reading the 7 pages to find out what’s been going on! Now we’re the  :popcorn:?

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #4030 on: June 10, 2019, 12:05:14 PM »
Tell you a little known fact about copper roofing. The parliament buildings in Ottawa, Canada all have beautiful green copper roofs. When the copper roofing was first installed many years ago, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police were asked to save all of the horse piss from their stables. The horse piss was carried to the top of the roofs and poured over them to give the lovely green colour. When left to itself, copper takes a long, long time to reach that green colour on its own. Some chemical agent in horse pee makes it turn green almost immediately.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4031 on: June 10, 2019, 02:24:05 PM »
Chris......polished brass or copper tubes to the engines & valving inside of the cabin may be on the plan set, but are you going to let the copper roof sheeting panels age naturally & discolor :embarassed: to that tarnished green tinge ?.....

That aged patina would be very attractive  :P ....& a liberal smear with Bakers Soldering Flux would speed up the process

Derek  :wine1:
Sorry Derek, I am going for the look of the original machine, boring as that may be!
Yesterday the roof panels were painted grey, here is how they look back on the model:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4032 on: June 10, 2019, 02:27:25 PM »
Hi Chris,
 Have the elves gone on strike? I’ve been away for 2 weeks and ONLY 7 pages to catch up on, what’s going on!  :lolb: :lolb:
Right back to reading the 7 pages to find out what’s been going on! Now we’re the  :popcorn: ?

Cheers Kerrin
Welcome back Kerrin! At least you wont be bored back at home again...  :Lol:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4033 on: June 10, 2019, 02:30:26 PM »
Tell you a little known fact about copper roofing. The parliament buildings in Ottawa, Canada all have beautiful green copper roofs. When the copper roofing was first installed many years ago, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police were asked to save all of the horse piss from their stables. The horse piss was carried to the top of the roofs and poured over them to give the lovely green colour. When left to itself, copper takes a long, long time to reach that green colour on its own. Some chemical agent in horse pee makes it turn green almost immediately.
Sure that wasn't a scheme by the builders to say they could pee on the cops?   :o   Guess this way was easier than getting the horses to go up the ladders and doing it directly. Glad I was not the one who had to reach under the horse with the bucket!

I knew it was collected and used early on for other uses like leather tanning, didn't know about the patina use.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #4034 on: June 10, 2019, 02:48:09 PM »
Chris

Just google saltpetre men , they used to collect human urine long ago to get the ingredient for gun powder

Model looks great ,it give a good idea of its finished size now

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal