Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573561 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #3945 on: May 26, 2019, 12:53:41 AM »
Just weighed the Marion model again, now it is at 80.2 pounds, and climbing....  Ran the numbers, and for the scale it is definitely going to outweigh the real one (when scaled), mainly due to the brass/copper contents, plus on the real one the larger castings were hollow while mine are pieced up solid. Looks like it is heading for that 100 pound region when complete. Going to need to build a model crane, and truck/trailer!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3946 on: May 26, 2019, 05:26:35 PM »
Perfect sunny day to take the cab out for some paint, so I unbolted it from the floor, and disconnected the A-frame backstay to remove it and take it outside. Like  on the frame/engines, am using the Duplicolor Engine Enamel With Ceramic spray paint - very tough, goes on thin, covers well with a couple light coats, and dries quick.

Couple coats and some dry time, and it is set back on the model ready to bolt back down...

The cab walls will be red with white Marion lettering like the originals, the roof will be the grey.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #3947 on: May 26, 2019, 08:31:26 PM »
Hey Chris,

Wow, that cage sure looks EXTRA large now. Nice work.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3948 on: May 26, 2019, 10:00:49 PM »
Got the cab frame bolted back on the model,

and starting to cut the card stock template for the front wall - will use that to cut the sheet metal to shape. Most likely will be three parts, top section shown, plus two lower parts to get the sides down to the floor, since one piece would be very hard to get into the space around all the machinery.

Online cnr6400

« Reply #3949 on: May 26, 2019, 11:44:43 PM »
Hi Chris, the house support structure looks very strong. Great progress!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3950 on: May 27, 2019, 12:18:59 AM »
Hi Chris, the house support structure looks very strong. Great progress!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Thanks! I am quite pleased with how rigid the frame is, even off the model, was concerned that it would be too flexible but it is not. Don't want to pick up the model by it,  :o   but it should be fine for general handling. I have a stack of aluminum sheets to use for the walls, and some thin brass for the roof sheets, which will need to be formed to the arc of the roof.

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #3951 on: May 27, 2019, 06:51:48 AM »
Chris....going back to October 2017  :happyreader: .....was the roof sheeting flat, or what we call in Australia Custom Corrugated Zinc plated sheeting?

[light & strong and can be rolled in both directions....the original  :old: World Patient was awarded to your Bethlehem Steel Pittsburgh]

Your image could have a distorted horizontal edge, or it also appears as corrugated  :shrug:

[Some of our Gauge 1 builders cut up aluminium cans & roll there own sheeting as this material featured everywhere in OZ]

Derek
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 07:03:34 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #3952 on: May 27, 2019, 11:34:34 AM »
Wow, Wow and Double Wow! Chris I don't know what else to say.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3953 on: May 27, 2019, 01:05:02 PM »
Chris....going back to October 2017  :happyreader: .....was the roof sheeting flat, or what we call in Australia Custom Corrugated Zinc plated sheeting?

[light & strong and can be rolled in both directions....the original  :old: World Patient was awarded to your Bethlehem Steel Pittsburgh]

Your image could have a distorted horizontal edge, or it also appears as corrugated  :shrug:

[Some of our Gauge 1 builders cut up aluminium cans & roll there own sheeting as this material featured everywhere in OZ]

Derek
Hi Derek,

The original roofing Marion used was the wavy corrugated kind, but the quarry replaced it with flat plate when they changed the walls from wood to metal. The flat roof is what is there now, has the arch in the center but is made from flat plate that is. The picture posted is low resolution, so hard to tell.

This picture shows it better:

« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 01:20:50 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3954 on: May 27, 2019, 01:22:10 PM »
Wow, Wow and Double Wow! Chris I don't know what else to say.
gbritnell
Wow works!
 :cheers:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3955 on: May 27, 2019, 10:14:30 PM »
Dog you just don’t slow down do you and the quality of work is great. That is some more impressive work Chris still with you Dog....... did I say ...........I............like............. :Love:

:drinking-41:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3956 on: May 28, 2019, 12:06:55 AM »
Thanks Don, the cab is really changing the looks quickly. Getting the front and back wall panels shaped from aluminum sheet stock, a carbide tipped blade in the mini table saw is working great. Pics tomorrow...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3957 on: May 28, 2019, 03:56:08 PM »
Got the panels for the rear wall cut out and drilled for mounting screws...

The middle panel is hinged along the top - need to make up a handful of hinges for all the doors soon.
Also got a start on the side panels. I was going to add some alignment pins along the top to keep them in place with the magnets, then realized  :wallbang: that the screws holding the tops of the frames together are in the perfect place. So, pulled out the short ones and put longer ones in (they need to be trimmed back) and drilled the top edge of the panel to fit on them. Couple of nuts on those, and a couple screws at the bottom would hold it all on well, and still make it easy to remove as desired for display. May not use the magnets on the side walls - undecided as yet.

One more panel at the back, surrounding the two narrow doors there, then same shapes on the other side still to do...

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #3958 on: May 28, 2019, 04:54:22 PM »
Hello Chris,

Looking good and what a change in overall appearance.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3959 on: May 28, 2019, 05:53:31 PM »
Cut the panel for the right rear side, also used a sharp punch from the inside (over a wood block) to form some faux rivets down the panels. The screws top and bottom are working out well for attaching the panels, and make it quick to remove one for display of the inside, think I'll go that route rather than the magnets on the walls.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal