Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 572844 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #3930 on: May 24, 2019, 06:42:46 PM »
Hello Chris,

That is looking really good. :ThumbsUp:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #3931 on: May 24, 2019, 08:06:05 PM »
I can only agree - it do change the look dramatically ..... getting the roof and sides on the "skeleton" you're making right now, will even hide that fact that you haven't got to the boiler etc.   :Lol:

Hey who's hogging the popcorn ?     :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3932 on: May 24, 2019, 09:12:52 PM »
I can only agree - it do change the look dramatically ..... getting the roof and sides on the "skeleton" you're making right now, will even hide that fact that you haven't got to the boiler etc.   :Lol:

Hey who's hogging the popcorn ?     :cheers:
munch munch.... oops, sorry, it went by here and I grabbed the bowl.... um, sorry for the swarf in it...   :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3933 on: May 24, 2019, 09:18:32 PM »
This afternoon I marked out the locations of the cross beams on the lengthwise beams for the ceiling, and milled the notches in - fortunately I had a mill that matched the width of the beams so just one pass per notch. The beams were all done at once to make sure they matched - had a clamp across the set so that I could move them together and keep the alignment.

And drilled the holes for the screws in each notch...

Here they are screwed in place on the hoops, looking like a cab!

Next will make the door headers and then the front and back walls will be framed in. The back wall is just a few cross bars, the front is just behind the operator and has a doorway on the left side and a tool bin on the right side.

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #3934 on: May 24, 2019, 09:40:19 PM »
You got the tracks done, or at least mostly done, you've got the business end mostly done, and you've got the cab skeleton mostly done.  Now all you've got to do is fill up that big honkin' hole in the back and you're done-done.

You're gonna have it finished by the end of next week, right?

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3935 on: May 24, 2019, 10:17:17 PM »
You got the tracks done, or at least mostly done, you've got the business end mostly done, and you've got the cab skeleton mostly done.  Now all you've got to do is fill up that big honkin' hole in the back and you're done-done.

You're gonna have it finished by the end of next week, right?

Don

With the holiday weekend, give it a week and a half!   O:-)

The tracks are all done, as are three of four engines. High level to do list:

- cab
- steering engine
- boiler and water tanks

Short list, probably a few months left, be close to my original guesstimate of two years.

:cheers:

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #3936 on: May 24, 2019, 10:57:09 PM »
Well Chris, I think I know the answer :Doh: ...but have you thought of only partial cladding for the roof & sides of the cabin?.......

Something like a scattered 10% here or there......Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3937 on: May 25, 2019, 12:14:40 AM »
Well Chris, I think I know the answer :Doh: ...but have you thought of only partial cladding for the roof & sides of the cabin?.......

Something like a scattered 10% here or there......Derek
Hi Derek,

I have done that on ship models to show the framing and interior, but on this one I think I would prefer to be able to have it clad fully at times, but with the magnets and pins will be able to remove large sections to show the interior, especially towards the viewer with the far side in place. Even fully clad, there are large doors by the machinery space and smaller ones at the back that can be hinged open, sure that helped with heat control in the summer and air flow.

:cheers:

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #3938 on: May 25, 2019, 02:04:25 AM »
Wow!:  This is really starting to look like the full size!

I'd say you're nearly done but I believe you still have a boiler to tackle. 

Great work Chris.

PS  :Director: I'd have the Frisco done by now if I wasn't continually side tracked with all this progress    :lolb:  (hey- I'll use any excuse I can).
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3939 on: May 25, 2019, 02:13:23 AM »
Wow!:  This is really starting to look like the full size!

I'd say you're nearly done but I believe you still have a boiler to tackle. 

Great work Chris.

PS  :Director: I'd have the Frisco done by now if I wasn't continually side tracked with all this progress    :lolb:  (hey- I'll use any excuse I can).
Thanks Craig! Yup, boiler and the smaller version of the slew/crowd engines for steering the rear tracks. Lotsa fun so far!

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #3940 on: May 25, 2019, 03:51:24 PM »
Chris,
Do you have to saw all the lumber for the cab, or is it covered by metal? Looking good!
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3941 on: May 25, 2019, 06:27:38 PM »
Chris,
Do you have to saw all the lumber for the cab, or is it covered by metal? Looking good!
Art
Hi Art,

The cab was originally wood sided with a corrugated metal roof. I don't know if the frame was wood or metal when built. At some point the quarry replaced the cab with all metal plate siding and a smooth metal roof. Since I don't know the details of the original, I am making the model to match how it is now. The catalogs I have don't show enough detail either.

Chris

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3942 on: May 26, 2019, 12:16:47 AM »
More on the cab frameing - the door headers (half-lapped onto the verticals) and center cross beam are in...

Also the rear wall cros beams and diagonals, plus the angle brackets along the ceiling that will hold the top of the back wall. The area between the two cross beams is hinged at the top to allow them to raise up the flap to let them pour in coal onto the rear deck. The whole rear deck was added by the quarry, as manufactured the area was one large fold-out set of panels, which kept the machine shorter for rail travel. The quarry made a larger fixed deck at some point, letting them store more coal inside.

Last on today were the vertical frames for the front wall on either side of the gear train:

Should be ready to make the steering and hoist throttle linkages that hang from the front left ceiling beam and run back to their engines. Then can start making panels for the walls/doors....

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #3943 on: May 26, 2019, 12:42:06 AM »
Chris,
At some point the quarry replaced the cab with all metal plate siding and a smooth metal roof.
Actually I am glad to hear that cause I can see in my minds eye you sawing all these boards 1/16 X 1/4 inch for the board covers. :ROFL:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3944 on: May 26, 2019, 12:48:46 AM »
Chris,
At some point the quarry replaced the cab with all metal plate siding and a smooth metal roof.
Actually I am glad to hear that cause I can see in my minds eye you sawing all these boards 1/16 X 1/4 inch for the board covers. :ROFL:
Art
Nothing new about that work here - done lots of that for ship models, and the cab for the Lombard! I have a mini MicroMark table saw for that work. I was building in wood long before I got the machinist bug!

8)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal