Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 572082 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #3915 on: May 21, 2019, 07:49:28 PM »
Continuing on with the cab framing, cut a pile of the bottom gussets out of thin sheet stock, notched the outside of the frames for them, and soft soldered them in place. These would have been welded to the floor sill on the real machine, but since I want the frames to be removeable (screwed in place) they are just attached to the frames. The will rest on the sill, and help keep the frames from canting to the side.

Started in drilling the ends of the ceiling ribs so they can be screwed to the tops of the wall frames. Using the bending jig as a holder in the mill, cut a slot for a clamp and added a block on the side so they can be inserted consistantly along the edge for aligning the drill in the center.

Online cnr6400

« Reply #3916 on: May 22, 2019, 12:10:26 AM »
As always Chris you are making great progress. The jig for drilling the roof arch ribs will save you a pile of trouble getting it all lined up later!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3917 on: May 22, 2019, 03:39:41 PM »
Yup, jig worked out well for bending and drilling - will get more use when drilling the holes for the long ceiling beams too.

Got the holes at the top of the wall frames drilled/tapped 1-72,

and have started test assembling them - some minor filing needed on a couple for a good fit.

Next will be drilling the holes in the floor sill to attach the frames to, then start notching/drilling the ceiling beams.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #3918 on: May 22, 2019, 04:31:43 PM »
Hello Chris,

Frames look real good and will look good when installed on the main frame. A "skeleton look" with the Roof and Frames and no side panels would show off all the interior work.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3919 on: May 22, 2019, 04:35:35 PM »
Hello Chris,

Frames look real good and will look good when installed on the main frame. A "skeleton look" with the Roof and Frames and no side panels would show off all the interior work.

Have a great day,
Thomas
The panels will have magnets to hold them on, so can display in any combination.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #3920 on: May 22, 2019, 04:42:00 PM »
Hello Chris,

Have a great day,
Thomas
The panels will have magnets to hold them on, so can display in any combination.

Hey again Chris,

Now I remember you stating that earlier, that will be cool.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3921 on: May 23, 2019, 01:27:45 AM »
Still with you Dog and still impressive work coming from your stable........ :praise2:

:popcornsmall:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3922 on: May 23, 2019, 01:34:23 AM »
Thanks guys!

I have the frame 'hoops' all assembled this morning - no shop time this afternoon, was out to lunch with friends then we got the canoes out for a trip on one of the local creeks. Ready to drill the holes in the floor sill angle stock tomorrow... 

:cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3923 on: May 23, 2019, 07:32:06 PM »
Got the screw holes drilled in the floor sill angle strips, and milled the half-lap in the wall frames that will have door headers in them. Used a 3-2-1 block as a stop to get all the notches in the same place...

Using the ceiling beam bending jig to drill the holes for the lengthwise beams, which will notch over the cross beams. There are six long beams, so am setting up to drill the holes a pair at a time in the cross beams, drilling one then turning the beam around to do the matching one at the other end, then will reset the position for the next pair farther in.

Online cnr6400

« Reply #3924 on: May 23, 2019, 08:34:15 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3925 on: May 23, 2019, 09:41:18 PM »
Flashing back to playing with my old Erector set (Meccano in other countries) as a kid - started putting together the frames on the model. The sill plate is screwed down using the existing screws holding the floor plates to the main frames, and the wall/ceiling frames are bolting to that. Doing them one at a time as I get the ceiling frames tapped for the lengthwise beams.

Going to start looking like a cab pretty quickly!   :wine1:

Online cnr6400

« Reply #3926 on: May 24, 2019, 12:36:20 AM »
Take your time and easy on the  :wine1: or you may get hoop-nosis...... :facepalm:

Sorry, I'll get my coat.... :Lol:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3927 on: May 24, 2019, 01:37:53 AM »
Oh hell Dog thats a great start love the frame works. Where will the magnets be place?

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3928 on: May 24, 2019, 02:16:11 AM »
Oh hell Dog thats a great start love the frame works. Where will the magnets be place?

Don
I have a box full of small thin disc magnets that I want to use with it. Have not decided exactly where they will be, need to get a little farther in and have some panels made to experiment with to see how many it takes on a long panel with the doors on it - probably have a couple locator pins on each panel too. Will need to put on some small steel patches or something to have them attract too, the brass is not too good for that! The ceiling beams are tool steel, so they can work directly. Its exciting to see the framework start up, its like building a house, every wall section changes everything!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3929 on: May 24, 2019, 05:57:18 PM »
Wow, this is really changing the appearance of the model, making it look even longer than before. Got the rest of the wall/ceiling hoops up, ready to notch and install the ceiling beams (two set in place in the photos, there will be six of them altogether).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal