Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 572117 times)

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #3900 on: May 20, 2019, 03:39:10 AM »
Chris,
Sounds like you had a fun day at the lake. The Seaview and the flying saucer are a blast from the past. By the way I have some old RC airplane stuff that is 72Mhz let me know if you know someone interested. I got it at a garage sale and intended to use it in a boat. I think it has been sitting around 5 years & could use a good home. PM me if you know someone interested.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3901 on: May 20, 2019, 04:18:01 AM »
Chris,
Sounds like you had a fun day at the lake. The Seaview and the flying saucer are a blast from the past. By the way I have some old RC airplane stuff that is 72Mhz let me know if you know someone interested. I got it at a garage sale and intended to use it in a boat. I think it has been sitting around 5 years & could use a good home. PM me if you know someone interested.
Art
Hi Art, the 72 mhz band in the US is now only legal for airplane use, surface craft need to be up on 75 mhz. That change happened some years ago. There are places that will rework them from 72 to 75 for a fee, you cannot change bands with just a crystal change unfortunately. There is still some demand for 72, but its shrinking. If you dont need it anymore, could try putting it up on ebay. Thanks for the offer though!
Chris

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #3902 on: May 20, 2019, 05:01:34 AM »
Chris,
Was just a thought, so... what would have happened had I inappropriately used it for a boat?
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3903 on: May 20, 2019, 01:50:02 PM »
Chris,
Was just a thought, so... what would have happened had I inappropriately used it for a boat?
Art
If there was someone nearby with a plane on that channel, a big thump...   :o

Technically its not legal for boats, but in practice no enforcement outside of a formal event where they track channels to make sure of no conflicts.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #3904 on: May 20, 2019, 04:20:31 PM »
What, no Frequency Enforcement Swat Team, with Crystal Gale leading it?  :Lol:

I guess the big thump could happen if the RC plane user was within a kilometre or two of the boat RC user, the range of RC transmitter would not likely be much more than that, would it Chris?  :thinking:  (you know a LOT more about RC than I do, but that's a sub-topic....  :naughty: sorry bad pun without pun alert)
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3905 on: May 20, 2019, 04:30:00 PM »
What, no Frequency Enforcement Swat Team, with Crystal Gale leading it?  :Lol:

I guess the big thump could happen if the RC plane user was within a kilometre or two of the boat RC user, the range of RC transmitter would not likely be much more than that, would it Chris?  :thinking:  (you know a LOT more about RC than I do, but that's a sub-topic....  :naughty: sorry bad pun without pun alert)
Sub topic.   :facepalm2:   

Better dive deeper into that topic... No pressure...   :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3906 on: May 20, 2019, 06:14:32 PM »
Back in the shop again today, starting trimming the lower ends of the roof beams to fit into the tops of the wall frames...

Just a nibble of the sides and it fits into the C channel. One down, 10 more to go...

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #3907 on: May 20, 2019, 06:59:23 PM »
Crueby:

It's a little  late now that you've already got the supplies you need for chemical etching, but did you think about electro-etching using salt water, something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAvdEGZTSdQ

I've seen it used on steel and stainless steel before, both for etching a pattern as you did and also for through etching pulse-jet reed valves out of sheet stainless. I wasn't sure if it would work with non-ferrous metals but from the Google hits that I got when searching electro-etching copper - apparently it does.

No nasty chemicals required, just salt water and a little low voltage angry pixie wrangling.

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3908 on: May 20, 2019, 07:44:13 PM »
Crueby:

It's a little  late now that you've already got the supplies you need for chemical etching, but did you think about electro-etching using salt water, something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAvdEGZTSdQ

I've seen it used on steel and stainless steel before, both for etching a pattern as you did and also for through etching pulse-jet reed valves out of sheet stainless. I wasn't sure if it would work with non-ferrous metals but from the Google hits that I got when searching electro-etching copper - apparently it does.

No nasty chemicals required, just salt water and a little low voltage angry pixie wrangling.

Don
Hi Don - I had not seen that technique before. I have extra pieces of the design on the transfer paper sheet, going to give it a try - already have a salt, distilled water, container, power supply, so should be good to go. Will report back later!
Chris

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3909 on: May 20, 2019, 08:13:38 PM »
Forgot to post the pic I turned on the PC for...  :facepalm:
More on the wall frames, notching in the bottom end to fit over the flange on the angle iron sill....

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3910 on: May 21, 2019, 12:13:40 AM »
Crueby:

Don
Hi Don - I had not seen that technique before. I have extra pieces of the design on the transfer paper sheet, going to give it a try - already have a salt, distilled water, container, power supply, so should be good to go. Will report back later!
Chris
That was a very interseting experiment - I set up just like she did in the video using a brass blank with the same PNP-blue stencil that I used with the acid the other day (this time brass instead of copper, had a piece the right size to use). Rather than a battery like the video, I used an adjustable lab power supply, which let me set power and monitor current as well. With the brass, I think I had to run the voltage higher to get the same speed, just as with the acid it seemed to go slower with the brass than copper. The first try did not do a lot, pretty sure I went too light on the salt, so I started over with a higher concentration of the salt in the distilled water. That went much quicker, though I did have to brush off the surfaces every fifteen minutes to keep the 'dust' from clogging them up and stopping the reaction (evident when the bubbles stopped).
All in all, a very good result with less dangerous materials. Still wind up with a copper solution to dispose of, but at least it would not burn through the table if spilled!
Here is the plate after the etching, took a couple of hours at 4 volts:

The ridges around the edge are where the tape I wrapped around the back ended. The hole was there to twist on the wire leading to the plus side of the power supply. Another brass plate was used on the negative side, facing it in the container of salt water. The second plate would build up a black coating of the dusty residue, had to wipe that off to keep things going a couple of times. Not sure how much of that was due to using brass vs just copper for both, the extra metals in the brass probably effected things.

Don, Thanks for the tip!!   :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Have to try it with steel as well sometime - I assume you use the same metals for both sides?

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #3911 on: May 21, 2019, 07:23:55 AM »
Chris

Not to be a wet blanket but take care

When I was at the iron works they had a chemical  they used salt cells to produce chlorine gas , this was then burnt in a hydrogen flame the vapours were condensed into hydrochloric acid

That said please google passing a electric current though a salt solution

You would have been fascinated with the gas engines ( waste gas from the blast furnaces ) to stand at the valve end with a 9 foot stroke

I will try to find some pics
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #3912 on: May 21, 2019, 07:30:14 AM »
Here you go look at the images I have posted the search

as there is a large number of pics

Search for “staveley gas engines “
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3913 on: May 21, 2019, 01:58:53 PM »
Chris

Not to be a wet blanket but take care

When I was at the iron works they had a chemical  they used salt cells to produce chlorine gas , this was then burnt in a hydrogen flame the vapours were condensed into hydrochloric acid

That said please google passing a electric current though a salt solution

You would have been fascinated with the gas engines ( waste gas from the blast furnaces ) to stand at the valve end with a 9 foot stroke

I will try to find some pics
Hi Stuart,  yes, any of the etching methods require good ventilation and care in handling! Nice thingabout better weather moving in is being able to work outside.

:cheers:

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #3914 on: May 21, 2019, 07:26:35 PM »
Hi Chris

I like that  :thinking:

:popcorn:

Cheers

Rich

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal