Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573616 times)

Offline cnr6400

Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #3855 on: May 13, 2019, 05:09:39 PM »
Great to see the crowd engine working Chris! well done.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

What are your plans about the boiler and water tanks? Having built a few things with "houses" around machinery it always seems there is some conflict between cab/ tanks/  machinery / framework no matter how carefully you measure. Might be a good idea to rough the boiler and tanks in (even with wooden block placeholders) and leave them in place during cab framing. One important thing on these wood blocks - I make "fins" or blocks representing the real space envelope of every pipe run and valve. I find this reduces the chance of pipe or valves interfering with things and you can also study finger access for operation, or access to service things if need be. Just food for thought.
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #3856 on: May 13, 2019, 05:12:46 PM »
Hi Chris,
 Congrates on the engine run! Very Cool!

Think you are forgetting the other side track...…… sure Zee will pitch in here!

I'll have to remember your steam line pivot, can see that it may come in handy down the track.

Keep up the great work

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3857 on: May 13, 2019, 05:16:05 PM »
Hi Chris,
 Congrates on the engine run! Very Cool!

Think you are forgetting the other side track...…… sure Zee will pitch in here!

I'll have to remember your steam line pivot, can see that it may come in handy down the track.

Keep up the great work

Cheers Kerrin
There are alreadty tracks on both sides....  :Jester:
You must mean the one named Stanley?   :Lol:

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #3858 on: May 13, 2019, 05:17:14 PM »
Chris--That is really great. You are doing a marvelous job there. I tune in every day for my "Crueby fix"!!!!--Brian

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3859 on: May 13, 2019, 05:18:56 PM »
Great to see the crowd engine working Chris! well done.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

What are your plans about the boiler and water tanks? Having built a few things with "houses" around machinery it always seems there is some conflict between cab/ tanks/  machinery / framework no matter how carefully you measure. Might be a good idea to rough the boiler and tanks in (even with wooden block placeholders) and leave them in place during cab framing. One important thing on these wood blocks - I make "fins" or blocks representing the real space envelope of every pipe run and valve. I find this reduces the chance of pipe or valves interfering with things and you can also study finger access for operation, or access to service things if need be. Just food for thought.
The water tanks are simple rectangular boxes, so they are easy - the boiler will be scale size and butane fired with single firetube. The cab walls and roof are going to be attached with small magnets/pins, so they can be removed for access inside, just leaving the framing. The framing will be bolted down, if possible that will be removeable with tools, hopefully - fortunately the spacing of the frames is large enough to get hands through, but as you say there is always one in just the wrong place!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3860 on: May 13, 2019, 05:19:51 PM »
Chris--That is really great. You are doing a marvelous job there. I tune in every day for my "Crueby fix"!!!!--Brian
Thanks Brian! This is one of those milestones that makes me grin for quite a while!

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #3861 on: May 13, 2019, 06:04:49 PM »
Hello Chris,

To build just one of those steam engines is quite the challenge, but multiple units and have them work in such a complex space is fantastic. I am really enjoying following along on this build.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3862 on: May 13, 2019, 07:01:26 PM »
Hello Chris,

To build just one of those steam engines is quite the challenge, but multiple units and have them work in such a complex space is fantastic. I am really enjoying following along on this build.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thanks Thomas - I may just need to have someone with a 1898 automobile swing by this summer to drive it out to the quarry for a photo shoot with the real one!   ^-^

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #3863 on: May 13, 2019, 08:28:35 PM »
Hello Chris,

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thanks Thomas - I may just need to have someone with a 1898 automobile swing by this summer to drive it out to the quarry for a photo shoot with the real one!   ^-^

Hello Chris,

Boy you just don't know how much I would love to be able to do that. That would really make for some great shots with the "big" machine in the background and my Buggy for reference to show size / scale and with your "little" machine in various positions. You could make a calendar with the right shots, that would be cool. A Lombard calendar would also be cool. :Director:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #3864 on: May 13, 2019, 08:33:13 PM »
That's really great, Chris!  Love to see the crowd engine doing its thing.  :popcorn: :popcorn:

Thanks for sharing the video.
Kim

Offline john mills

« Reply #3865 on: May 14, 2019, 12:24:56 AM »
Hi Chris
great to see the engines working .
last weekend watching a full size bucyus  a similar type of machine in steam working it is not hard to imagine your machine digging in the dirt pile too.It is not easy to see the individual engines as there  is a lot in a small space
the opperactors must have developed great skill .
  John

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3866 on: May 14, 2019, 12:44:13 AM »
Hi Chris
great to see the engines working .
last weekend watching a full size bucyus  a similar type of machine in steam working it is not hard to imagine your machine digging in the dirt pile too.It is not easy to see the individual engines as there  is a lot in a small space
the opperactors must have developed great skill .
  John
Hi John,

Where did you see the Bucyrus operating? Not many out there, someday I will get to see one in person. Did you take any pictures or video?

Chris
 :cheers:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3867 on: May 14, 2019, 01:09:33 AM »
Just another cog in the Game Dog and some more of your outstanding craftsmanship ...... :praise2:
And you know I..........like........ :Love:

:popcorn:
Don

Offline john mills

« Reply #3868 on: May 14, 2019, 08:35:44 AM »

Hi Chris
Lake Goldsmith may rally  in Victoria Australia .
I will see if i can post some pictures .
    John

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3869 on: May 14, 2019, 11:19:21 PM »

Hi Chris
Lake Goldsmith may rally  in Victoria Australia .
I will see if i can post some pictures .
    John
Love to see them! Back when I was looking around for a shovel to build, that one was one that I saw a short video of, which showed just enough of the inner workings that I could figure out how things worked. Wonderful machine, fantastic that it was saved and is still running.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal