Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573773 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #3810 on: May 05, 2019, 12:29:32 AM »
More on the elbows - lathe work is done on all of them, started rounding off the corners on the mill...

First one side

then the other

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3811 on: May 05, 2019, 09:46:32 PM »
Elbows and valves are finished up, ready to start installing them...

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #3812 on: May 06, 2019, 10:58:44 AM »
Splendid, I'm still following along  :praise2:  :praise2:  :wine1: (I can't find an emoticon for cider  ;) )
Best regards

Roger

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #3813 on: May 06, 2019, 06:12:29 PM »
Hey Chris

Interesting..! Another way to make elbows :)  I usually make them on the lathe - just as a long version of a straight fitting - then cut them into 2 parts at an angle of 45° and silver solder them together again. The last step is then filing the edge of the elbow to a more or less round shape.

Oh and you build is of course excellent! I always like the more complicated stuff because its more interesting to watch  ;D

Florian

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3814 on: May 06, 2019, 07:47:03 PM »
Splendid, I'm still following along  :praise2: :praise2: :wine1: (I can't find an emoticon for cider  ;) )
Cider emoticon, with donuts!! We need one of those!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3815 on: May 06, 2019, 07:48:06 PM »
Hey Chris

Interesting..! Another way to make elbows :)  I usually make them on the lathe - just as a long version of a straight fitting - then cut them into 2 parts at an angle of 45° and silver solder them together again. The last step is then filing the edge of the elbow to a more or less round shape.

Oh and you build is of course excellent! I always like the more complicated stuff because its more interesting to watch  ;D

Florian
I thought about that way, but not sure how to hold them for soldering. Do you have a jig?

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3816 on: May 07, 2019, 12:28:59 AM »
Great weather today so most of it outside, did get a bit of shop time this evening and got the slew engine and hoist clutch steam lines plumbed into the main steam line:

Amazing how quickly the elbows get used up!  And yes, it looks like a bit of a three-stooges plumbing job, but this is how the original is too, with both steam and exhaust pipes running together. The exhaust pipes from the hoist engines, the tall ones ending in elbows at the top, will run back to the smokestack on the boiler when that is made. The dead-end one aimed to the right at the top will run forward to the crowd engine, first going up through the roof and then out to the A-frame, where it goes through a pivoting fitting on the centerline of the turntable, and up to the crowd engine, jogging around the hoist chain on the way - lots of elbows needed on that one.

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #3817 on: May 07, 2019, 12:46:26 AM »
I do love plumbing  :Jester:......

55 years ago, an apprentice was tasked with plumbing up a small pneumatic machine with 1/2" copper tube & Yourkshire fittings

I was so proud, all the tube lines were square & neat....valves & elbows & unions all nicely soft soldered in :ThumbsUp:

All was fine until the air was turned on & of all places, a leak  :stickpoke: at the pressure port...........

Shock horror  :facepalm: I couldn't rotate the pressure supply tube from the port as there was no union installed........

Derek

« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 12:54:48 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3818 on: May 07, 2019, 12:59:26 AM »
I do love plumbing  :Jester: ......

55 years ago, an apprentice was tasked with plumbing up a small pneumatic machine with 1/2" copper tube & Yourkshire fittings

I was so proud, all the tube lines were square & neat....valves & elbows & unions all nicely soft soldered in :ThumbsUp:

All was fine until the air was turned on & of all places, a leak  :stickpoke: at the pressure port...........

Shock horror  :facepalm: I couldn't rotate the pressure supply tube from the port as there was no union installed........

Derek
Reminds me of a couple I worked with years ago. They remodeled their bathroom, did all the work themselves. Came out looking great. All done, they turned on the water supply. Filled the toilet. All good. Gave it a flush, no leaks  then they noticed the steam rising from the bowl.   :toilet_claw:   Yup, swapped hot and cold lines in the floor...

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3819 on: May 07, 2019, 01:18:10 AM »
Still with you Dog plumbing looks great.... :ThumbsUp:. I made a few elbow but not like yours might I need to give it a try......always great looking work Chris......  :praise2:

:popcornsmall:
Don

Offline Mike R

• Ottawa, ON
« Reply #3820 on: May 07, 2019, 01:51:40 AM »
I go without internet for a few days and I'm pages behind!

Nice work on the engines, to answer a question about why the cranks are 90 degrees out of phase, its likely to give the engine a positive way of starting, if they were 180 degrees opposed you could get stuck at TDC / BDC and the engines wouldn't self start.  Operator comfort (from vibration) wasn't a big concern I'm guessing - based on the other details you've shown to date!

Mike

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3821 on: May 07, 2019, 02:24:06 AM »
I go without internet for a few days and I'm pages behind!

Nice work on the engines, to answer a question about why the cranks are 90 degrees out of phase, its likely to give the engine a positive way of starting, if they were 180 degrees opposed you could get stuck at TDC / BDC and the engines wouldn't self start.  Operator comfort (from vibration) wasn't a big concern I'm guessing - based on the other details you've shown to date!

Mike

Welcome back Mike! Steam shovels wait for no one!   :Lol:

On the crank, the question was not why the pins are 90 degrees out, but why they directly connected them with the diagonal bar, which makes the part more unbalanced. Having ng a double acting twin engine 90 out makes it self start. That makes ddle connector is an odd way to do it, but it does work.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3822 on: May 07, 2019, 04:25:06 PM »
Well, I rarely do this, but they forced me into it:

In the past I have gotten wonderful photo-etched nameplates for the models (like the boiler front plate on the Lombard) from Narrow Planet in the UK. Great items.

A couple of months ago I ordered a set of plates for the Marion project, and as usual it takes them a month or so to get the item through the queue (knew that going in). A month ago they told me they were preparing the final artwork from what I submitted, and would get it to me for approval in a couple of days. Great.

Weeks go by.   :killcomputer:

I try contacting them several times, never any answer.   :cussing:

Just sent them one last request to find out the status of the order. Mentioned that if I did not hear back soon I would have to contact Paypal (reasonable I think, they can have my money as long as they are going to deliver, but cant keep the money and never produce).

15 minutes later they cancel the order, no explanation, and refund the money in Paypal!  So, they obviously read their emails, but dont bother replying without a good reason. Finally got a statement from them saying they were too busy for custom work - but that is all they DO!!! Everything is a custom order there!  :zap:

Two months wasted, now I need to find a new supplier.   :Mad:

So, rant over.

Anyone know a good place to get custom photo-etched plates made, the type with raised letters on a lowered background?

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #3823 on: May 07, 2019, 04:33:09 PM »
I do love plumbing  :Jester: ......

Derek
Reminds me of a couple I worked with years ago. They remodeled their bathroom, did all the work themselves. Came out looking great. All done, they turned on the water supply. Filled the toilet. All good. Gave it a flush, no leaks  then they noticed the steam rising from the bowl.   :toilet_claw:   Yup, swapped hot and cold lines in the floor...

Centuries back I worked at a Gas Station that had a Car Wash. When they plumbed up the employees washroom the toilet got hocked up to the Hot water line. This was not too bad during the day when you had to go and sit down you had a nice warm seat, but if you were working the midnight shift it could be dangerous. The hot water line was the one that was used for washing cars and had a high energy heater to generate lots of very hot water. During the night the hat water tank sat there absorbing all that heat (the water in the morning was hotter then the fresh brewed coffee at the restaurant), this meant that if you had to sit to use the toilet at night you made sure you did not splash! or the results could be painful!
 We had to get the Dept. of Labour involved to get them to switch the lines, if cost them $5000. to have it done plus $1000 fine. It also cost most of use our job there (They didn't say it was because we had complained, but within six months we were all replaced).
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #3824 on: May 07, 2019, 04:55:25 PM »
Re builder and number plates - just an idea - if you could accept the backing being 1/32" thick fibreglass and the letters being .010" high copper, you could have the plates made by any printed circuit mail order supplier, and in the USA, and for not much money. pad2pad and expresspcb are two examples. When ordering you specify 1/32" FR4 and maximum thickness copper pour PCB material. Just food for thought.

Another approach - have someone with a superfine resolution 3D printer make some full size models of the plates in PLA resin, embed them in investment plaster, burn out the PLA, and cast the plates in brass or aluminum in your shop. If you search for Myfordboy in Youtube he recently posted some excellent videos on making tiny leaf spring models and some gorgeous tiny handwheels by this method.

The engines and plumbing are looking good!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Re - three stooges plumbing job - I remember one show where the stooges plumbed a house and had running water coming out of the light switches, and lights coming on when they turned on the sink faucets! Now those guys were real plumbers!
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal