Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 587923 times)

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #3570 on: April 02, 2019, 03:51:55 PM »
Hi Chris

We have just got back from a 2 week holiday.

Took me a while to catch up, great progress  :ThumbsUp:

Cheers

Rich

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #3571 on: April 02, 2019, 04:54:23 PM »
I see George loaned you his giant penny, or did the elves just borrow it without permission?

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3572 on: April 02, 2019, 06:21:49 PM »
I see George loaned you his giant penny, or did the elves just borrow it without permission?

Don
I had MichaelElfalo carve one and cast it in copper....   :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3573 on: April 02, 2019, 06:27:37 PM »
Since I am waiting on the 1-72 die to show up tomorrow, skipped ahead to the valve rod glands in the steam chests. Drilled a through hole for the rod, slightly oversize, then counterbored for the gland thread.

There is not enough room on the chest wall for the packing, glands, flange, and screws like I did on the piston rods, so I changed these to be a screw-in style gland, turned out of brass.

Got three made up for each engine, and milled away the outside of the wall to final shape around the glands.

Here is how they look:

Next will make the inlet/exhaust pipe flanges for the other side of the steam chests...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #3574 on: April 02, 2019, 06:48:58 PM »
Those three cannons on the turret / steam chest look like they could open fire on the hoist drum any moment!  :Lol:

More great progress Chris!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3575 on: April 02, 2019, 07:11:33 PM »
Those three cannons on the turret / steam chest look like they could open fire on the hoist drum any moment!  :Lol:

More great progress Chris!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Does kinda look like a sci-fi laser turret!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3576 on: April 02, 2019, 09:52:29 PM »
Have gotten the holes for the steam/exhaust pipes and flanges drilled, also made and silver soldered the inlet pipe flanges. The pipes are left long till I know exactly where the elbows will go. Made it up as a set of three for easy handling, will cut them apart next.

And before CNR can say it, yes they look like race car headers for a V-6. Or a spitball gatling gun...

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #3577 on: April 03, 2019, 04:54:59 AM »
Nice looking pipes, Chris!
Did you silver solder all three of them at the same time?  I've not had much luck with that. I have had better luck soldering things like that one at a time.  But maybe its smaller than I'm thinking so they're really close together?

Nice results, regardless!

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3578 on: April 03, 2019, 01:29:48 PM »
Nice looking pipes, Chris!
Did you silver solder all three of them at the same time?  I've not had much luck with that. I have had better luck soldering things like that one at a time.  But maybe its smaller than I'm thinking so they're really close together?

Nice results, regardless!

Kim
The pipes are 3/16" diameter, the base 1/2" x 1-3/8", so they are fairly close together. With a small torch, I heated from under the base with the assembly angled back against the brick so the flames partly went up the tubes, the solder wire was wrapped around the base of each. It melted on them one at a time as the torch was moved across - went pretty easily. I buy the silver solder in the thin wire form, and wrap it on the joints under the flux, which works well.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3579 on: April 03, 2019, 07:11:38 PM »
Got the 1-72 die in today, so got to work making up a batch of shoulder bolts for the valve levers:

Got the ones for the lower levers all made and installed:

While I have the setup all dialed in, think I'll make up the ones for the upper levers too...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #3580 on: April 03, 2019, 07:33:30 PM »
Re 3 pipes photo: NASA called and said they want their triplex nano photon wave guide back. They said they paid $1,200,000.00 to have it made. I told them you would likely do a second one for them for $1,199,990.00 if they asked nice.  :Lol:

Re: shoulder screws - I like doing screws in batch mode too. Even if you make a few extra and you don't use them on the current project they always seem to come in handy for other projects, and for those, you've saved the setup time. (especially when you have the thread dia. just so and the die's running sweet!)  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #3581 on: April 03, 2019, 07:43:55 PM »
Up until my last build, I’ve always made my own bolts, studs, nuts, and washers. Well, I decided I would splurge and order a bag of 100 of bolts, nuts, and washers from 0-80 through 5-40 from AME . Awesome service, great looking products, but the $416 that showed up on the Amex bill, OMG, will definitely have me making them again when and if, I ever run out  :facepalm:

Cletus

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3582 on: April 03, 2019, 07:57:55 PM »
Re 3 pipes photo: NASA called and said they want their triplex nano photon wave guide back. They said they paid $1,200,000.00 to have it made. I told them you would likely do a second one for them for $1,199,990.00 if they asked nice.  :Lol:

Re: shoulder screws - I like doing screws in batch mode too. Even if you make a few extra and you don't use them on the current project they always seem to come in handy for other projects, and for those, you've saved the setup time. (especially when you have the thread dia. just so and the die's running sweet!)  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Well, nuts - already sawed it apart into the three simplex photo wave guides. Sigh. As soon as the cash arrived from Nasa I'll make another. Tell them its half price! 

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3583 on: April 03, 2019, 08:00:11 PM »
Up until my last build, I’ve always made my own bolts, studs, nuts, and washers. Well, I decided I would splurge and order a bag of 100 of bolts, nuts, and washers from 0-80 through 5-40 from AME . Awesome service, great looking products, but the $416 that showed up on the Amex bill, OMG, will definitely have me making them again when and if, I ever run out  :facepalm:

Cletus
Yup - great products, but the prices are a bit high for large quantities. I've been searching around the last week or so for more 2-56 hex head stainless screws, but other than 1/4" long I cannot find any in less than 10,000 carton quantities. All the usual suppliers dont carry them anymore in steel, brass is easy to find. I have no problem making them now and then, but doing large quantities gets tedious very fast!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3584 on: April 03, 2019, 09:22:04 PM »

[/quote]
Yup - great products, but the prices are a bit high for large quantities. I've been searching around the last week or so for more 2-56 hex head stainless screws, but other than 1/4" long I cannot find any in less than 10,000 carton quantities. All the usual suppliers dont carry them anymore in steel, brass is easy to find. I have no problem making them now and then, but doing large quantities gets tedious very fast!

[/quote]
Maybe your not looking in the right place check amazon...https://www.amazon.com/Socket-Screws-Stainless-Thread-Knuled/dp/B073WPX6T2/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1BK6NQ7E9GLC6&keywords=2%2F56+hex+head&qid=1554322759&s=gateway&sprefix=2%2F56+%2Caps%2C178&sr=8-4

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal