Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 572121 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #3495 on: March 22, 2019, 05:07:05 PM »
From the Elves Rumer Line I hear that they started out as Snow Tires but ended up as Racing Slicks. Chris you had better check your carving tools some of them may need sharpening.
Gerald.
They are plenty sharp now, the elves were using the spinning tires as buffing wheels during the burnouts...!
We have one more snowstorm coming tonight, hopefully the good weather comes to stay soon...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3496 on: March 22, 2019, 05:07:53 PM »
Shop update - got the rest of the crossheads made just like the first one I showed, about to start on making the shoulder bolts to hold them to the con rods...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3497 on: March 23, 2019, 04:55:04 PM »
Some time in the shop this afternoon, got a start on the crosshead pivot bolts. Turning them out of some 303 hex bar, center turned to a nice fit in the parts and the end threaded 4-40.

First two made, four more to go. After I took this picture I noticed that the thread is sticking a bit far out of the nut, so I trimmed that back - cannot leave much excess since the eccentric arm will come up right next to it when they are made.

The nuts are some 'small pattern' ones I found a while back, so I did not have to make them up too, they are thin enough as is. I've noticed that the usual suppliers of 2-56 and 1-72 steel hex head screws hardly ever have them in stock anymore, must be the suppliers they get them from are going all socket head. AME still has them, but not in fully-threaded form, and their prices are quite a bit higher, but that may be the only source soon. They have always been the only place I could find 3-48 hex in steel rather than brass.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3498 on: March 23, 2019, 11:48:41 PM »
The rest of the crosshead pins are done and installed. Next up... Ummm... Coin flip... The eccentric followers!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 01:41:57 AM by crueby »

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #3499 on: March 24, 2019, 02:16:32 AM »
Hi Chris, seems to me your build already has a few eccentric followers - me being one!  :lolb: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3500 on: March 24, 2019, 12:38:40 PM »
Hi Chris, seems to me your build already has a few eccentric followers - me being one!  :lolb: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
:lolb: :lolb:   and I thought you were just a crank!   :ROFL:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3501 on: March 24, 2019, 02:58:53 PM »
Moving on to the more twisted bits...  :Lol:

Started on the eccentric followers this morning, cutting them from some 1/8"x3/4" brass stock. To keep the bolt holes perfectly aligned, decided to drill them before cutting off the cap. Ran the tap drill for 1-72 thread in the full depth, then the clearance drill in the height of the cap in the same setup.

Sawed the cap off from the main blank, tapped the holes, and it is ready for boring the center hole:

The line you can see in the photo is the joint to the cap, the band saw, cutting across the wide dimension, left a smooth enough edge that I did not need to mill it clean again. Will get the rest to this stage, then start drilling...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3502 on: March 24, 2019, 06:32:03 PM »
All the blanks are drilled/cut/tapped, so on to boring the holes. Centered up the first one, drilled a starter hole and bored the center out to match the bottom of the slots in the eccentric (the eccentrics have a slot in the center of the bearing surface to keep the followers from sliding off to the side). Then bored one side out to match the top of the slots. So far so good.

Then turned the part around, and had to re-center the hole to do the cut on the other side, since it never tightens up quite the same. I think I will set up an expanding mandrel for the second side cuts, otherwise this will take quite a while. Did get the first one fit to the eccentric well though:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3503 on: March 24, 2019, 08:35:06 PM »
I dug out the expanding arbor that I made for the followers on the hoist engine, and again it works great. Just had to turn a new diameter onto the step to fit these parts, and tried it out. Now I can drill/bore the hole to fit the bottom of the slots in the cams using the 4-jaw chuck, then use this arbor to counterbore in the steps to fit the lips on the slots - self centers, and allows removal and re-holding to test and tweak the fit onto the cams.

This will speed up the work a lot - still slow going with having to remove the crankshafts to test fit with, and keeping all the parts matched up. Still, gotta love tools that work!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #3504 on: March 24, 2019, 11:05:44 PM »
More great progress Chris.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:The elves' Guinness tab is going to be mighty hefty this month.....hope the wheelbarrow is at hand to transport them out of the shop to sober up.
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #3505 on: March 25, 2019, 12:35:09 AM »
I think the elves are drinking a bit much, now they're even changing tires on the loco when you leave the shop. Have you thought of rehab for them before they cease being productive members of society. :ROFL:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3506 on: March 25, 2019, 01:49:04 AM »
More great progress Chris.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:The elves' Guinness tab is going to be mighty hefty this month.....hope the wheelbarrow is at hand to transport them out of the shop to sober up.
I may need a front end loader for the whole crew!   :Lol:

I think the elves are drinking a bit much, now they're even changing tires on the loco when you leave the shop. Have you thought of rehab for them before they cease being productive members of society. :ROFL:
Art
I'll try and find a good high school shop class for them to dry out in!

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #3507 on: March 25, 2019, 06:57:02 AM »
Great progress!

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #3508 on: March 25, 2019, 07:03:46 PM »
A "High School Shop class", what is this strange thing of which you speak???  Can't let the little darlings near sharp objects or power tools, they might hurt somebody.  You'd have better luck finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3509 on: March 25, 2019, 07:42:45 PM »
A "High School Shop class", what is this strange thing of which you speak???  Can't let the little darlings near sharp objects or power tools, they might hurt somebody.  You'd have better luck finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Don
Too true. I was thinking of how they were 40 years ago...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal