Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 572103 times)

Offline cnr6400

Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #3480 on: March 20, 2019, 07:25:53 PM »
Great progress Chris!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #3481 on: March 20, 2019, 11:44:34 PM »
Great progress Chris......a few general questions..

1. do you blue the bushes prior to commencement of lapping?
2. do you use a piece of on size true straight bar as the lapping mandrel, or the actual bigend journals?
3. will you dowel the caps when on position, or just leave it to the bolts to align the caps when tightening down?

Derek   :DrinkPint:
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3482 on: March 20, 2019, 11:52:59 PM »
Great progress Chris......a few general questions..

1. do you blue the bushes prior to commencement of lapping?
2. do you use a piece of on size true straight bar as the lapping mandrel, or the actual bigend journals?
3. will you dowel the caps when on position, or just leave it to the bolts to align the caps when tightening down?

Derek   :DrinkPint:
Hi Derek,

I didn't blue them, I had bored the bearings intentionally slightly undersized, so they would lap to the actual size of the crank pins. Since the were soldered to the conrod halves, no need for pins. The bearings are so thin and narrow a pin would be tough anyway. The conrods are only .125 thick, the bearings half that thick at most. I used the actual conrods to lap since they all varied just a bit in diameter, so am being careful to keep them all paired together.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3483 on: March 21, 2019, 02:54:48 PM »
Making up the crossheads, from some bearing bronze round bar. Started by turning the OD to be a slide fit in the guides, turning the boss on the end, and drilling/tapping the hole for the piston rod. Then moved the chuck over to the rotary table in its vertical mount, and milled off the sides...

and turned it another 90 degrees to drill the con rod pivot hole:

Now, the milling could have been down with the rod held in a collet, but these bronze bars are extruded out oversize and a bit rough, so it was better to chuck it in the 3 jaw once and do everything in one go to ensure alignment.
Here are the first couple after parting off, doing the same on the rest:

Thats only half the shaping - still need to take out the arc at the conrod end, and slot it for the con rod. Starting out with the mini vise up vertical in the mill vise, to do the first cut at the back end on each part:

Next will be to angle the sides of that arc out to the edges, once all are done to this point.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3484 on: March 21, 2019, 04:47:39 PM »
More on the crossheads, angled the parts to the side to mill in the straight section out to the corner:

and up on end to mill the slot in the back, the mill leaves a rounded corner so those were finished off with the rotary tool and a tapered bur.

One installed, moves freely, so on to the rest...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #3485 on: March 21, 2019, 07:01:22 PM »
I think reciprocating motion is going to happen soon...... :ThumbsUp:

(And not just by the elves swinging on the chandelier and flailing their arms!)  :ROFL:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3486 on: March 21, 2019, 07:44:41 PM »
I think reciprocating motion is going to happen soon...... :ThumbsUp:

(And not just by the elves swinging on the chandelier and flailing their arms!)  :ROFL:
The chandelier action has been going for years....   :rant:

Right now, there is one crosshead guide moving in one of the engines!  8)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqlfGdg2QQM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqlfGdg2QQM</a>

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #3487 on: March 21, 2019, 09:11:59 PM »
The crosshead and the rod seem to clear a certain broached squared area in the crosshead guide without any trouble..... :thinking:  :naughty:

Nicely done! Always amazed at your fast rate of work.  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3488 on: March 22, 2019, 12:15:30 AM »
The crosshead and the rod seem to clear a certain broached squared area in the crosshead guide without any trouble..... :thinking: :naughty:

Nicely done! Always amazed at your fast rate of work.  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:
Yeah, wonder who taught me to make the broach tool...  :embarassed:
Most needed was two that had a bur sticking out.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #3489 on: March 22, 2019, 12:25:40 AM »
Chris,
Looking good, seems you have several more parts done when I check in. Dangerous thing having Guinness anywhere near the shop elves you know how they are when they've had to much to drink, chucking things everywhere regardless of what project it's from. :mischief:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3490 on: March 22, 2019, 01:05:31 AM »
Chris,
Looking good, seems you have several more parts done when I check in. Dangerous thing having Guinness anywhere near the shop elves you know how they are when they've had to much to drink, chucking things everywhere regardless of what project it's from. :mischief:
Art
Hmmm, that would explain the snow tires on the Shay loco...   :ROFL:

Offline Mike R

• Ottawa, ON
« Reply #3491 on: March 22, 2019, 01:18:49 AM »
Please don't talk about snow - we're getting more of that tomorrow despite the calendar telling me its spring...
Great progress - your work craft inspires me to keep w**king so I can retire one day and play in my workshop.
Mike

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3492 on: March 22, 2019, 02:28:03 AM »
Please don't talk about snow - we're getting more of that tomorrow despite the calendar telling me its spring...
Great progress - your work craft inspires me to keep w**king so I can retire one day and play in my workshop.
Mike
Correction, they are racing slicks on the locomotive!!   :Lol:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 04:46:50 PM by crueby »

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #3493 on: March 22, 2019, 04:45:46 PM »
Racing slicks on the locomotive would be perfectly acceptable.  As long as they also added the go fast stripes to the paint job.

Don

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #3494 on: March 22, 2019, 05:04:08 PM »
From the Elves Rumer Line I hear that they started out as Snow Tires but ended up as Racing Slicks. Chris you had better check your carving tools some of them may need sharpening.
Gerald. 
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal