Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 611573 times)

Offline cnr6400

Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #3210 on: February 19, 2019, 11:03:07 PM »
Great progress Chris.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:  Good luck to to you and the shop elves on the crankcase sides Hog-O-Rama. Might be time to start up the auxiliary 235 HP diesel outside the shop, and engage that C size V belt to the Sherline spindle...  :noidea:.....I can almost hear the turbo spooling up as I type..... :atcomputer:  :naughty:

"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3211 on: February 19, 2019, 11:10:43 PM »
Great progress Chris.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:  Good luck to to you and the shop elves on the crankcase sides Hog-O-Rama. Might be time to start up the auxiliary 235 HP diesel outside the shop, and engage that C size V belt to the Sherline spindle...  :noidea: .....I can almost hear the turbo spooling up as I type..... :atcomputer: :naughty:
And it rrrrips the chuck right off the spindle!!   :lolb:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3212 on: February 19, 2019, 11:15:00 PM »
The first section of the sides has been chain drilled on both sides of all three blocks...

And the first section of the first side of all three has been milled away:

So, tomorrow will likely get the second side up to the same point, and start on the other sections.

That is the deepest of the sections, the rest get shallower. This first section comes very close to the bore in the center, and most of it gets milled through to form the 'windows' in the side of the crosshead guides.

So far so good, but its time for archery league tonight....   :cartwheel:

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #3213 on: February 20, 2019, 02:17:33 AM »
I must continually remind myself that those parts are.....TINY! Well, maybe not GB tiny....

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
 :popcorn: :popcorn:

Pete

But somewhat tiny, non the less.  Nice job Chris
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3214 on: February 20, 2019, 04:09:49 PM »
I must continually remind myself that those parts are.....TINY! Well, maybe not GB tiny....

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
 :popcorn: :popcorn:

Pete
But somewhat tiny, non the less.  Nice job Chris
Thanks Craig!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3215 on: February 20, 2019, 04:15:24 PM »
Okay, here is something I did not expect, bit of a shortcut on cleaning out the chain-drilled areas. Here is what it looked like as drilled, using #26 drill on .150 centers:

The web of metal left was quite thin, and I found as I was milling away the area in shallow layers, sometimes the cutter would snag one of the 'posts' and snap it off. So, this morning before continuing the next piece, I took some needle nose pliers, stuck it down between the posts, and gave it a twist, like a dentist yanking a tooth (ouch). The posts would snap off at the bases with a good twist, leaving the empty cavity:

That made cleaning up the space with the mill much quicker, just had to go around the outsides in a few passes, and then take the bottom down to final depth.

So, in short order the sections next to the crosshead tubes are all milled down, ready to start the sections behind them...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3216 on: February 20, 2019, 05:59:11 PM »
And on to drilling out the shallower areas in the middle:

Same trick worked here, snapping out the web bits:

Another set to do on the opposite sides, then start milling....

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #3217 on: February 20, 2019, 06:37:24 PM »
Hello Chris,

Man that is a lot of work on these engines, I am plum tuckered out just from following along. However, your work is fantastic as usual.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3218 on: February 20, 2019, 06:53:10 PM »
Hello Chris,

Man that is a lot of work on these engines, I am plum tuckered out just from following along. However, your work is fantastic as usual.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Glad you are getting enough rest so that I can keep working....

Um....

Err...
 :ROFL:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #3219 on: February 20, 2019, 07:57:47 PM »
Hi Chris, the mental image of the Sherline chuck breaking free and hitting the wall with a solid THUNK per your post pretty much evaporated my 235 HP aux diesel daydream....

Your progress is terrific on the drillage / millage on the cylinder frames. Are you thinking of hanging out a shingle for "LOW COST TOOTH EXTRACTIONS DONE HERE"? Demand may be high given the high cost of dental insurance!  :insane:

Likely fewer complaints or yelling from your cylinder frames though..... no anaesthesia needed on them. :naughty: Wait a minute - The elves may have left some of the Navy rum for human patients..... NAH! :mischief:

How did your archery session go? Tell, William Chris.                      (sorry re bad pun,  without warning marquee)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3220 on: February 20, 2019, 09:13:48 PM »
Hi Chris, the mental image of the Sherline chuck breaking free and hitting the wall with a solid THUNK per your post pretty much evaporated my 235 HP aux diesel daydream....

Your progress is terrific on the drillage / millage on the cylinder frames. Are you thinking of hanging out a shingle for "LOW COST TOOTH EXTRACTIONS DONE HERE"? Demand may be high given the high cost of dental insurance!  :insane:

Likely fewer complaints or yelling from your cylinder frames though..... no anaesthesia needed on them. :naughty: Wait a minute - The elves may have left some of the Navy rum for human patients..... NAH! :mischief:

How did your archery session go? Tell, William Chris.                      (sorry re bad pun,  without warning marquee)
:Lol: (to all that!)
Fortunately I've seen enough episodes of Tool Time to know not to hook a Binford 6100 TurboGenerator with 4.3million volts up to my mill...  (I don't think so, Tim)

I had a tooth extraction (well, the outer half of a molar) this past year, so while I do have a air powered high speed rotary tool that sounds like a dental drill, past experience and flashbacks would keep me out of that business (except for telemarketers, who would get free work done. And done. And redone...).

And I am still looking for where those pesky elves hid the rum!

Archery this week went so-so, my aim and concentration were not at peak form, so had a few off shots. This is with a bare recurve, no sights or release, so any lapse in focus means a bad shot. I also shoot a compound with full sights and release, but it is almost too easy, no where near as much fun as the traditional class. The local shop does a weekly winter 3D league, with foam animal targets of all types out to 30 yards, plus trees, fences, etc in the way. One of the animals is always a mover, on a wheeled trolley that moves across the range. There are 5 stations, sitting, standing, kneeling, tree stand, and ground blind, shoot all targets from all positions during the session. Lots of fun, great group up there.

Oh - and on the William (Tell) front - that reminds me of the running gag at our pistol league - any time the range officer gives the Fire At Will command, someone always asks 'wheres Will?'. Its interesting that we have 3 Mikes, couple of Tims, couple Toms, but we have never had anyone named Will join the group!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 09:19:09 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3221 on: February 20, 2019, 09:22:44 PM »
After all the drilling was done, the milling started up again on the last two sections, it steps down from the back to the middle, then up to a small rib.

The majority was taken out with a 3/8" mill, then switched to a 1/8" mill to get into the corners better. The large square section at the back (right end in that picture) will remain till the rest of the work is done on the front end, then it gets taken down at a 45 degree angle for the crankshaft bearings.
Two more parts to get to this point, then can do the rounding of the area behind the end cap...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #3222 on: February 20, 2019, 09:45:14 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3223 on: February 20, 2019, 09:53:58 PM »
I say dog gone boy you just chewing up that metal..... starting to look the part Dog and .........I.........like........... :Love:

:popcorn:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3224 on: February 20, 2019, 10:02:25 PM »
Chewed quite a bit of metal so far, the starting bar for each crosshead block was 4.2 pounds, the sawn off slabs weigh 1.8 of that (those are partly usable stock). The blocks right now are down to .8 pounds!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal