Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 588420 times)

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #2985 on: January 22, 2019, 08:11:57 AM »
 :whoohoo: :whoohoo:

There be a  :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant: in the shop tonight!!

Well done Chris!
Get excited and make something!

Online sco

« Reply #2986 on: January 22, 2019, 08:13:35 AM »
Just brilliant Chris!

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline kvom

« Reply #2987 on: January 22, 2019, 01:43:44 PM »
Engines reverse in quick order!!  :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2988 on: January 22, 2019, 01:54:33 PM »
Engines reverse in quick order!!  :cheers:

The engine is running at constant forward speed throughout this test, I was moving the clutch lever to control the raising and lowering of the bucket. The engine throttle valve has not been made yet so it was just turned on to around 15 psi at the compressor.

I did test it last night with the tracks, could only move 6 inches on the table but it had plenty of power to move, the gear reduction to the track is 20 to 1. Very happy with the runs, now a bunch of little cleanups, paint touchups, and reassembly. Need to make the last gear guards too, then on to the slew engine.

Thanks all!!   :cheers:

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #2989 on: January 22, 2019, 07:03:50 PM »
Ohhhh yeeeeesssss  :ThumbsUp:

Cheers

Rich

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #2990 on: January 22, 2019, 07:24:29 PM »
Wonderful progress Chris :ThumbsUp:  Thanks too for the Lombard info...makes sense doesn't it.      Terry

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2991 on: January 22, 2019, 09:43:06 PM »
Dog, Dog, awwww man that is just to slick and happier than squirrel on a bag of nuts. That is one bad ass machine Chris and I am waiting to see the slew engine construction work.......did I say ........I ..........like......... :Love:

:cheers:
Don

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #2992 on: January 22, 2019, 10:22:47 PM »
Too cool for words. So... :pinkelephant: :whoohoo: :pinkelephant: :whoohoo: :cartwheel:

:cheers:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2993 on: January 22, 2019, 10:43:04 PM »
Thanks very much everyone! Its great to see the engine, gearing, clutch, chains, everything all moving as they should after so much time getting to this point. The engine has plenty of power even at 15 psi. Going to be grinning for a while with this one.

:cheers: :cheers:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #2994 on: January 23, 2019, 12:05:37 AM »
Chris , that's lovely  really cool  11/10.... was wondering about safety devices if you are a bit slow on the controls ?? are there slipping clutches or disengagement pauls or something ?? I may have missed something over the last 200 posts ?!!! Looking forward to the completion >>>

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2995 on: January 23, 2019, 02:24:54 AM »
Chris , that's lovely  really cool  11/10.... was wondering about safety devices if you are a bit slow on the controls ?? are there slipping clutches or disengagement pauls or something ?? I may have missed something over the last 200 posts ?!!! Looking forward to the completion >>>

Willy

Safety devices in early 1900s US?   NOT!

Well, the dipper boom has a stop ramp at the end so it can't fall out, and it runs out of rack at the middle so you can't go too far in. Marion states in thier catalog that they sized thier engines to stall before breaking anything else or lifting too heavy a load. I doubt a person in the way would stop anything though! The real one shows plenty of gouges on the front corners of the frame were they clipped it with the bucket.

For the model, it is a concern, not sure where the failure points would be, have to be careful. The shop elves have to take a breathalyzer test before operating it!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2996 on: January 23, 2019, 05:42:29 PM »
This morning I got a bunch of the parts re-assembled (still need to put the slew gear and gear guards back on), and did some more timing tweaking on the hoist engine. I put in a couple of shutoff valves, one on each input hose, so I could isolate the cylinders, and also disconnected the con-rods from the crank. That let me put on low pressure, and hand-turn the crank to see when the valve tripped over in fine detail. That got everything balanced out, and now it will run decently in both directions. Here is proof (you can see the shutoff valves on the left side of the picture) :
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8xxtSdIlmY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8xxtSdIlmY</a>
So, will get the gear/guards back on, and have to make a couple more guards for the hoist gears/crankshaft, then can start in on the hoist throttle and its piping.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2997 on: January 23, 2019, 06:39:56 PM »
And it works!  That's pretty exciting Chris!  Both forward and reverse.  And self starting in both directions.  You must be feeling pretty good about that!
Kim

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #2998 on: January 23, 2019, 09:23:34 PM »
Congratulations for another important "milestone" in this great build Chris :cheers:

Can some of the other "Peanuts" please pass the  :popcorn: and pour a refill  :DrinkPint:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2999 on: January 23, 2019, 11:31:01 PM »
Thanks guys!
This afternoon I got all the bits and pieces that I had taken off to get at the engine back in place, made the last couple of gear guards, and did a little touch up painting on all the nicks and dings in the floor plates. So, figured it was time for a couple new family shots:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal