Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 592898 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #2685 on: December 18, 2018, 01:10:17 AM »

Sorry, I meant the hollow face that sits against the outside of the cylinder, where it got soldered together. I am not sure the best way to mill that curved surface on the top of my base piece to mate against the bottom of my crosshead tube.
Chris I did the arc on the mill with the boring head! I will see if I can find the photo and post it for you.

Don
Thanks!!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2686 on: December 18, 2018, 01:10:59 AM »
Here you go Chris!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2687 on: December 18, 2018, 01:22:57 AM »
Here you go Chris!
Gotcha, that helps a lot!  The boring head can be set to the same diameter as the OD of the tube, then do vert passes, moving the part into the cutter a little more for each pass. Excellent!  Happier than a shop gnome in a box of Starrett tools!   :D
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: 

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2688 on: December 18, 2018, 02:53:06 AM »
That setup should help when I get to the Stanley engine project, it has two cylinders connected by a bridge piece like this base, this will let me shape that block too. Which will make Zee happy as well...

:ThumbsUp:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2689 on: December 18, 2018, 03:17:29 PM »
Moving along on the con rods, got the cross bolts in, and drilled/bored the holes for the bearings:

Cut the caps apart, and test fit:

Next is to drill the holes at the opposite end and then trim off the sides of the blanks, so the rods taper down to the opposite end.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #2690 on: December 18, 2018, 03:59:45 PM »
Great fits on those rods Chris, well done.

Going back to the pondering of the trunk guides for a second, I missed the fact that the cylinder flange was flush with the base front face. (I was probably overcome by rum fumes over the phone  ::)) The flange OD would not be machineable with a flycutter type tool on the between centres boring bar I had in mind, as you mentioned. (unless you made a non-protoype relief slot below the flange on the base front face). Anyway, got the  :popcorn: ready for when you tackle the trunk guides.  At the great rate you are working, it won't be long.

Regarding the "infinite radius arc" discussion about the expansion link - are you sure the slot faces aren't actually two 450,000-faced polygons?

(I'll get me coat and hat now - hmm, time for some egg nog maybe........ :paranoia:)
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2691 on: December 18, 2018, 05:34:09 PM »
Great fits on those rods Chris, well done.

Going back to the pondering of the trunk guides for a second, I missed the fact that the cylinder flange was flush with the base front face. (I was probably overcome by rum fumes over the phone  ::) ) The flange OD would not be machineable with a flycutter type tool on the between centres boring bar I had in mind, as you mentioned. (unless you made a non-protoype relief slot below the flange on the base front face). Anyway, got the  :popcorn: ready for when you tackle the trunk guides.  At the great rate you are working, it won't be long.

Regarding the "infinite radius arc" discussion about the expansion link - are you sure the slot faces aren't actually two 450,000-faced polygons?

(I'll get me coat and hat now - hmm, time for some egg nog maybe........ :paranoia: )
:lolb:
Maybe more egg, less nog....   :ROFL:
I think I have the sequence figured out now, with all the help from the group. The taper on the base to match the angle of the flange I may just do by hand with the rotary tool and files, the rest will be machined. Wont be long now, I am just finishing up the connecting rods so the guide trunk will be the next thing up - maybe except for assembling the crankshaft onto the model...
 :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2692 on: December 18, 2018, 05:40:02 PM »
And here is the last installment on the connecting rods - drilled the hole for the crosshead bolt, and milled down the sides, using a bar through that hole to line up the parts, milled both together to make them match.

The ends were then sawn off and rounded on the belt sander. Here are the crankshaft parts so far:

The bearings were still a little sticky on the posts, so I mixed up a little Timesavers very fine grit lapping powder in a few drops of oil and spun them for a bit, now they run pretty smoothly. Here are all the parts in place, ready to go on the model. They are not adjusted for timing, just run in on the shaft:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #2693 on: December 18, 2018, 07:27:25 PM »
That setup should help when I get to the Stanley engine project, it has two cylinders connected by a bridge piece like this base, this will let me shape that block too. Which will make Zee happy as well...

:ThumbsUp:

:pinkelephant:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2694 on: December 19, 2018, 02:21:18 PM »
And for all you engineer types out there, just was sent this amazing video of how to get back at package thieves. We may need a steam powered version of it.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoxhDk-hwuo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoxhDk-hwuo</a>

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #2695 on: December 19, 2018, 02:32:19 PM »
Neat solution, but a lot of time and money invested just to thwart sneak thieves. We have a lot of package theft in my neighbourhood . Most effective deterrent I've seen is Granny on the porch or inside the front door with a loaded 12 ga shotgun. "Just waitin' fer the ducks to land, officer....."

PS Granny does not partake of the egg nog, just FYI....safety first......
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #2696 on: December 19, 2018, 02:43:11 PM »
Don't you think it might be just a LITTLE suspicious when the safety valves on the boiler start popping off?  Now running it on compressed air, that you MIGHT be able to do - wouldn't need a chimney sticking out of the package either.

Are you sure you want to pursue this?  Might give the elves ideas that you really don't want them to have.  On the other hand, it would be a use for all that brass swarf.  Sending the idea to Zee's shop gnomes might be OK, anonymously of course.

Don

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #2697 on: December 19, 2018, 03:13:13 PM »
Sending the idea to Zee's shop gnomes might be OK, anonymously of course.

:cussing:

It's a shame you've moved to the 'other' side of Santa's list.
I hope you enjoy Chris' company.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2698 on: December 19, 2018, 03:17:45 PM »
Sending the idea to Zee's shop gnomes might be OK, anonymously of course.

:cussing:

It's a shame you've moved to the 'other' side of Santa's list.
I hope you enjoy Chris' company.
I like the one guys comment I saw the other day - getting coal in your stocking is fine as long as you have a coal fired boiler!
So - substitute swarf for the glitter (if steam powered, heat it up in the flue...). We could add a really shrill whistle... Some dog poo (koala poo for those down under)....  A wifi virus to constantly play bad polka christmas tunes on their smart phone (loudly)....  :LittleDevil:

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #2699 on: December 19, 2018, 05:04:39 PM »
Chris

Rather than the polka song I would use the “Larma song “ do not google it to find the oridiginal one you will not get it out of your head a ear worm is a understament

As a closing comment you are doing some fine work with the tools you have ,keep it up

Put a mince pie out for the elf’s for Xmas

Have a metaphorical shot of Glenfarclas 105 full cask strength scotch

Have a good holiday and a productive new year
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal