Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 576104 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #2445 on: November 16, 2018, 07:35:50 PM »
Hello Chris,

More beautiful workmanship and all the parts look really good moving in the video.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #2446 on: November 16, 2018, 09:19:25 PM »
You may have answered this earlier...

If it's going to be painted, why use expensive brass rather than steel?

Oh yeah...I'm still watching. And your little droppings in other threads have not escaped me either.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online sco

« Reply #2447 on: November 16, 2018, 09:27:52 PM »
I'm still watching too - great work and skills making up the driveshafts Chris.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2448 on: November 16, 2018, 10:34:14 PM »
You may have answered this earlier...

If it's going to be painted, why use expensive brass rather than steel?

Oh yeah...I'm still watching. And your little droppings in other threads have not escaped me either.  ;D
Thanks guys!

For the outer shells, I have brass bar closer in size than steel, would have had to go up a couple sizes for steel. The brass was easier to shape too, takes the fairing with a file easier. As you say, after painting they look the same. Working with small machines, the 303 is much easier to machine than lots of other steels, so its worth the higher cost to me.

As for cost, its not really all that different for brass vs 303 stainless, especially since I have been buying both as drops from suppliers for the large sizes, buying in lengths around 3' at a time. Since I have been buying more in bulk than just a short bit for a particular part, cost is lower plus I dont remember it as much so I can just pick what I like. Both work just as well for these parts. Besides, I just like cutting brass!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #2449 on: November 16, 2018, 11:45:12 PM »
If I was rich instead of good looking, I'd make everything out of brass. It is so much nicer to machine than steel. I just called my metal supplier for two 1" thick discs of 6" diameter steel to make flywheels for my newest project, and I dread the thought of hogging out the cavities on both sides between the hub and the rim.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2450 on: November 17, 2018, 12:09:12 AM »
If I was rich instead of good looking, I'd make everything out of brass. It is so much nicer to machine than steel. I just called my metal supplier for two 1" thick discs of 6" diameter steel to make flywheels for my newest project, and I dread the thought of hogging out the cavities on both sides between the hub and the rim.
Oh yeah, buying by the inch is a lot more expensive, but not much choice for bar that big around. Buying the 'drops' from commercial suppliers can be 1/3 to 1/4 the normal small bar prices.
Any scrap metal dealers near you that buy scraps/swarf? There are some here that pay by the pound, more for single-metal piles than mixed. Our gun range makes a lot off the .22 brass casings they collect. It could let you recoup at least part of the costs. I got lucky on this build, the income from the Lombard articles in Live Steam magazine is more than paying for the whole thing.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2451 on: November 17, 2018, 12:21:01 AM »
Got started on the parts for the brake/clutch bands on the hoist drum - figure if I make those first I'll know if I need to tweek the throw on the levers that actuate them. The throw on the real one is not that much, but on 4' diameter wheels, it does not take much to pull a band tight. Scaled down to model size, its a consideration, may wind up putting in an extra 1/32 or 1/16" of throw to make it pull tight and also realease fully.
The bands are steel, with a wood liner. That way they could replace the wood periodically, and not wear out the metal parts. As I recall from early in this thread, I think it was Locust that someone said was commonly used in this country for this - common tree here, and very tough.

The bands were bent around the bar in the photo to form them. The wood will be some strips of Pear or Cherry, bent using the tool in the left center. It is a heat bending gizmo, made years ago by Mantua for their ship model kits, basically a shaped head on the end of a soldering iron. A instrument-makers bending iron works too. A little water on the wood, press and bend on the tool, and it spot-steams the wood and allows for pretty precise curves.
Oh, for you metal-only folks, this 'wood' stuff is what is inside those 'tree' things in your yard, that have all those flappy little 'leaf' things, and drop branches on your power lines. It can be used to make things - sort of a home-grown aluminum, just in rough-cast form!   :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2452 on: November 17, 2018, 01:23:40 AM »
Cut down some strips of Cherry and Pear, looks like Pear is the winner for a bend this tight. First piece is mostly there, needs to be a little tighter bend. First I need to make a little jig to put it in to set up and dry, otherwise it tends to spring back a bit. Technique is to wet the wood, all four sides, in a short section, then apply it to the hot iron and as it warms you can feel it go more flexible and plastic - pulling on the ends and rocking it will form it over the iron. It takes several applications of more water and heat to get a tight bend, but it works quite well. I am sure Willy will be most familiar with this, from his instrument making days, as its basically how side panels are formed for string instruments (though usually with wider heating forms).

Oh, and the darker patches on the inside of the curve are from the small table saw, blade is going dull and needs to be replaced.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2453 on: November 17, 2018, 01:56:13 AM »
Dog that is slicker then grease on a slip and slide. Awesome results Chris now did I say ......I ......like...... :Love:

:cheers:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2454 on: November 17, 2018, 02:39:52 AM »
Dog that is slicker then grease on a slip and slide. Awesome results Chris now did I say ......I ......like...... :Love:

:cheers:
Don
Thanks Don!   :cheers:

We need to start a thread for treat sayings like that one!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #2455 on: November 17, 2018, 03:55:32 AM »
Oh, for you metal-only folks, this 'wood' stuff is what is inside those 'tree' things in your yard, that have all those flappy little 'leaf' things, and drop branches on your power lines. It can be used to make things - sort of a home-grown aluminum, just in rough-cast form!   :Lol:

:lolb: :lolb:

:ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2456 on: November 17, 2018, 04:09:42 AM »

:lolb: :lolb:

:ThumbsUp:
8)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2457 on: November 17, 2018, 06:44:00 AM »
Continuing to enjoy your build, Chris.  And thanks for the video. Its nice to see it moving every once in a while!

Nice work with the wood too.  How thick is the wood your bending for the break pad?

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2458 on: November 17, 2018, 01:06:44 PM »
Continuing to enjoy your build, Chris.  And thanks for the video. Its nice to see it moving every once in a while!

Nice work with the wood too.  How thick is the wood your bending for the break pad?

Kim
The pads are 3/16" thick, 1/4" wide. The rim of hhe drum is just under 3" diameter.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2459 on: November 17, 2018, 03:01:28 PM »
A little more bending this morning, and both wood pad strips are to size, and sitting inside the metal bands to dry thoroughly. The way they sit, the inside diameter is slightly more than the OD of the drum rim, which is good - that way they will self-release when tension on them is removed. After they dry, they will be trimmed to length (they will end just before the end of the arc in the bands) JB-welded to the bands. While waiting for that, I will get started on the end fittings for the bands...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal