Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573726 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #2400 on: November 09, 2018, 05:15:19 PM »
This morning I started on the inner U-joint ball fittings, turned the ends half-round and drilled to match the shafts (the shaft ends at the track axle and drive axle are different diameters).

Moved over to the mill, and drilled the cross holes in the end for the drive posts. The square collet holder gave an easy way to index the part 90 degrees for each hole, the end of the collet holder was lined up with the edge of the mill vise so all the holes were in one plane.

And a test fit of the posts on the first end:

The part was taken back over to the lathe to part off the end from the bar. An on to the next one of the 4 pieces...

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #2401 on: November 09, 2018, 06:42:25 PM »
Hello Chris,

That is a bit of nifty work there  :ThumbsUp:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2402 on: November 09, 2018, 10:19:45 PM »
Got the rest of the ball end fittings made, and the posts installed (most were press fit in, couple needed a drop of loctite). Here are the two pairs of them (small holes to inside drive shaft, large to the axle on the track sporcket).

And one of them fit on the track sprocket axle where it will go....

They will be held in place with grub screws, to allow for disassembly if needed.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #2403 on: November 10, 2018, 07:50:52 AM »
Looking good Chris!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #2404 on: November 10, 2018, 01:59:07 PM »
Nice work Chris.

Would you mind elaborating on how you formed those ball ends?

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2405 on: November 10, 2018, 02:10:44 PM »
Nice work Chris.

Jim
Hi Jim.  I don't have a ball turner gizmo for the lathe, so they were just hand turned on the ends, by eye, then cleaned up and faired in with a flat file while spinning. The file makes it easy to take off high spots and get a good curve. They are   not ball bearing perfect, but close enough to work. The arc continues back past center to the start of the flat end.
I know some here will yell at me for filing on the lathe, but it is well away from the chuck, using just the middle of the file on an outside curve so no risk of catching the file.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #2406 on: November 10, 2018, 03:36:26 PM »
Nice work Chris.

Jim
Hi Jim.  I don't have a ball turner gizmo for the lathe, so they were just hand turned on the ends, by eye, then cleaned up and faired in with a flat file while spinning. The file makes it easy to take off high spots and get a good curve. They are   not ball bearing perfect, but close enough to work. The arc continues back past center to the start of the flat end.
I know some here will yell at me for filing on the lathe, but it is well away from the chuck, using just the middle of the file on an outside curve so no risk of catching the file.

Thanks Chris.......they sure came out nice. One of these days I want to get set up with a tool rest and some gravers to try some turning.
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2407 on: November 10, 2018, 03:50:24 PM »
Nice work Chris.

Jim

Thanks Chris.......they sure came out nice. One of these days I want to get set up with a tool rest and some gravers to try some turning.
Turning with gravers is something I have never tried (bought some gravers, they still sit in the drawer...)  These ends were just cut with the normal turning tool on the lathe, etcha-sketch style with the handwheels till it was close to round, then filed fair.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2408 on: November 10, 2018, 06:51:30 PM »
This afternoon I got the blanks for the outer shells of the u-joints cut out, and started in on the first one. The hole for the axle shaft was drilled/bored out to be a sliding fit, and the outer end bored out to take the ball fitting. That hole is just deep enough for the fitting to go into, and on the original machine that was a hollow spherical shape to take the ball. Not having CNC, and knowing that the ball ends are not perfect, I just bored a cylindrical hole, and will let the bottom and outer surfaces of the ball contact that hole.

Then moved the chuck over to the rotary table, and milled in the slots for the posts. These are deep enough to let the posts rotate without touching bottom. I found when test fitting the ball, that it would go in flat and towards any one post just fine, but bind a bit when angling it between the posts, since that pushes the ends out just a bit. So, I widened the slots another few thou, and it runs fine at the angles needed.

One down, 3 to go, then I can start shaping the outsides of the shells. Given that they are all curves on the outside, I think it will need an arbor to hold them for turning.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2409 on: November 11, 2018, 05:42:28 AM »
Just fascinating work, Chris.   :popcorn:
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2410 on: November 11, 2018, 08:26:28 PM »
Just fascinating work, Chris.   :popcorn:
Kim
Thanks Kim!  Got the second U-joint shell up to same spot as the first, and halfway through the third - got some family stuff this weekend/next couple days, so will not be much shop time for a couple days...
 :cheers:

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #2411 on: November 11, 2018, 11:51:16 PM »
Looking great Chris  :ThumbsUp:

I'm always amazed how you manage to machine large components on relatively small tooling.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2412 on: November 12, 2018, 12:33:02 AM »
Looking great Chris  :ThumbsUp:

I'm always amazed how you manage to machine large components on relatively small tooling.

Hmmm.... That needs some sort of saying, how about,  with enough small bites a mouse can eat an elephant! 

Maybe thats why they are supposed to be scared of mice!   :Lol:

Actually, the 4 jaw was having a hard time on these latest parts, had to reverse the jaws so there was a small contact patch, one did slip out while boring but luckily no damage to anything.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #2413 on: November 12, 2018, 12:59:21 AM »
Hmmm.... That needs some sort of saying, how about,  with enough small bites a mouse can eat an elephant! 

You give me positive inspiration  :)

I keep pondering how big a steam engine I can realistically build on my 10x22 lathe and bench mill, I really want to make something that can do some proper work and won't be satisfied till I've build it  ;)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2414 on: November 12, 2018, 01:30:03 PM »

You give me positive inspiration  :)

I keep pondering how big a steam engine I can realistically build on my 10x22 lathe and bench mill, I really want to make something that can do some proper work and won't be satisfied till I've build it  ;)
A full size Marion?    :embarassed:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal