Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573454 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #2370 on: November 05, 2018, 05:16:40 PM »
Since the webs are purely decoration to  make it look like the original have you considered attaching them with JB Weld? It would be simpler than the drilling and tapping and silver soldering. You could even create a small filet in the corners as a casting would have had. It will all be painted anyway.

Even soft solder would do and might not require the pins.
Good points, that would save a lot of time. And would be able to use the center block to position them to. Thanks!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #2371 on: November 05, 2018, 07:04:31 PM »
I don't think I have managed to catch up on all your progress since I last looked but splendid as ever  :praise2:  :praise2:
Best regards

Roger

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2372 on: November 05, 2018, 07:05:10 PM »
I don't think I have managed to catch up on all your progress since I last looked but splendid as ever  :praise2: :praise2:
Thanks!  Another 10 seconds and you would have had one MORE post to read!   :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2373 on: November 05, 2018, 07:06:43 PM »
Got the top plate for the travel gear train holder bolted on, and cut out the blanks for the little brackets that will go underneath. I am thinking that the shape will be most easily done with an alignment block and a hold down clamp on the rotary table on the mill....

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #2374 on: November 05, 2018, 07:53:44 PM »
I don't think I have managed to catch up on all your progress since I last looked but splendid as ever  :praise2: :praise2:
Thanks!  Another 10 seconds and you would have had one MORE post to read!   :Lol:

::)
Best regards

Roger

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2375 on: November 06, 2018, 05:20:04 PM »
Set up the tooling plate on the rotary table, and made a little recess for the bracket blanks to sit into. The recess is a little oversized, the only parts that matter on it are the outside and one side edges, to form a corner for the blank to sit against and be clamped down. That gave it a secure place so every plate went in to the same position for milling the inside arc and the inside straight edge.

Here are the parts set in place on the top plate:

I will mark out and drill the mounting holes that hold the assembly to the main frame, then come back and solder the braces in place. I like Ron's idea of soft soldering them, and will add some jb weld as filets if the solder does not leave enough.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2376 on: November 06, 2018, 08:01:08 PM »
Cool Dog looking good, but I would mill a small recess into the block where the brackets will be soldered allowing the solder to go into since they are support brackets. Just my two cents but you know .......I.........like....... :Love:

:cheers:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2377 on: November 06, 2018, 08:41:38 PM »
Cool Dog looking good, but I would mill a small recess into the block where the brackets will be soldered allowing the solder to go into since they are support brackets. Just my two cents but you know .......I.........like....... :Love:

Don
Too late, already soldered on!  The top plate is plenty strong to hold the block, and it bolts onto the flat flanges of the I beams, so it should be good. Time will tell, can always remake it!

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #2378 on: November 06, 2018, 10:20:44 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:
 All looking good as always Chris!

John

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2379 on: November 06, 2018, 10:35:19 PM »
Thanks John, parts have been painted, should have them on the model tomorrow morning. Then I think will start on the hoist clutch and brake parts.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2380 on: November 06, 2018, 11:18:04 PM »
The travel gear train end with some paint splattered on:

Tomorrow after it has cured up it can get bolted onto the frame...

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2381 on: November 07, 2018, 05:40:30 AM »
Nice soldering!  did you end up using some JBWeld to add fillets?  Also, it looks like you soldered only one edge to the base.  Is that correct? If so, why's that? I would think it would hold the gear box better if the vertical edge were soldered too.

Inquiring minds...
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2382 on: November 07, 2018, 01:10:42 PM »
Nice soldering!  did you end up using some JBWeld to add fillets?  Also, it looks like you soldered only one edge to the base.  Is that correct? If so, why's that? I would think it would hold the gear box better if the vertical edge were soldered too.

Inquiring minds...
Kim
I did not add anything to the solder joints themselves, just ran in a little extra solder and it built up the joints. The vertical joints are not soldered - tried but to get the large block hot enough was way overheating the thinner plate. I may add some JB to those joints to fill them in. The top plate is bolted to the main block, that is the place the strength is coming from.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2383 on: November 07, 2018, 03:53:28 PM »
Kim, you were right, the little gaps on the vertical seams of the brackets just did not look right. Tried a new material for the filet (at least to me), used some gel style CA glue and ran a little bead down the seam. Dried quick and looks reasonable. Some of the excess did not dry too well, so sprinkled on some baking soda to kick it, then gave it some paint:

Then went ahead and assembled it onto the frame with the bolts through the top plate. All is meshing well, so I am very happy with how the gear trains came out. I was going to start on the hoist clutch, but then remembered the drive shafts for the tracks, so those will be next. Here is what they look like on the real thing:

Each end has a 4-post universal joint inside the big hemisphere, which has a set of deep grooves so the 4-post drive can slide in and out as the distance to the track changes as the track pitches forward/back. I am not sure why they used the big seperate jawed ring (looks like a dog clutch) on the middle shaft to hold the inner hemisphere in place. The outer one just has its own cross pin, seems like they could have done the same thing on the inner one. You can see that the inner hemisphere has slipped down the shaft a bit, exposing some of the inner posts. Anyway, I think I will knock out the drive shafts first, then go back to the hoist clutch.

Here are some family shots of the whole model so far:

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #2384 on: November 07, 2018, 04:42:04 PM »
Hello Chris,

Well from the photo the seams look OK and much better than left open. Looking Good :praise2:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal