Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 574247 times)

Offline JC54

• Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #2280 on: October 21, 2018, 09:53:05 PM »
Many thanks Chris you answered what I really wanted to know, I thought those edges looked a bit delicate?     :old: :DrinkPint:
When the Fun Stops,, Stop!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2281 on: October 22, 2018, 10:33:05 PM »
Catching up on the recent work - made and installed the half-loop that holds the end of the hoist chain...

And made up the bearing holders for the hoist drum:

Here they are with the shaping done, ready for the bronze bearings and mounting bolts to the floor. They take a huge horizontal load, so they made the bearing blocks very long to spread the shock load across length of the I-beams.

Next up will be to start shaping the axle...

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #2282 on: October 22, 2018, 11:47:33 PM »
Sweet! Nice work.. :ThumbsUp:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2283 on: October 23, 2018, 12:26:14 AM »

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2284 on: October 23, 2018, 12:50:26 AM »
Does the inner drum connect to the end plates at all? Or is it completely free-spinning?  The end plate must connect to the shaft somehow?  Or to something?

Nice work, as always, Chris!
Kim

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #2285 on: October 23, 2018, 01:22:16 AM »
Hi Chris , i laike all those gears and i have to make one for my next engine ..however to be correct it will have to look like this ?? Im sure you could machine one up quite quickly  but this looks quite difficult to cast  ? !! So fabrication is on the cards....!

willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2286 on: October 23, 2018, 01:43:15 AM »
Does the inner drum connect to the end plates at all? Or is it completely free-spinning?  The end plate must connect to the shaft somehow?  Or to something?

Nice work, as always, Chris!
Kim
The drum and the end plates are loctited together, on the real machine I think they were one large hollow casting. The drum freewheels on the axle until the clutch engages. That clutch is a steam activated piston that tightens a band around the rim of the drum. The clutch and band are attached to the larger gear next to the drum. The two gears at either side of the drum are fixed to the axle. Lots of parts to go on this assembly! There is also a brake band on the other rim of the drum. The secong gear drives the gear train to the front tracks. This whole section will be under construction for quite a while...

:cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2287 on: October 23, 2018, 01:46:15 AM »
Hi Chris , i laike all those gears and i have to make one for my next engine ..however to be correct it will have to look like this ?? Im sure you could machine one up quite quickly  but this looks quite difficult to cast  ? !! So fabrication is on the cards....!

willy

Thanks Willy, given a mill and rotary table that one is readily done from brass stock, straight spokes and flat sides make it a lot easier. How big will yours need to be? What gear module is it at the model scale?

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #2288 on: October 23, 2018, 01:51:51 AM »
One of these days really soon I need to study that patented clutch to really understand how it connects to the rest of the unit. I have the info you sent me last year, and you've posted more info, I just need to sit down and examine the pics/dwgs to put it in my mind.

That 'one stick' direction/throttle valve is still a mystery but I'm sure it will all be cleared up when you build those sections...

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2289 on: October 23, 2018, 02:07:16 AM »
One of these days really soon I need to study that patented clutch to really understand how it connects to the rest of the unit. I have the info you sent me last year, and you've posted more info, I just need to sit down and examine the pics/dwgs to put it in my mind.

That 'one stick' direction/throttle valve is still a mystery but I'm sure it will all be cleared up when you build those sections...

Pete
I'll be putting up a video of how the clutch set works once its made, its a pretty clever setup they invented. I think there is a good description and drawing of the throttle in one of the catalogs, will post that later...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2290 on: October 23, 2018, 02:26:08 AM »
Found this set of descriptions of the main hoist valve in my copy of Marion's catalog number 30 - thier old catalogs are a gold mine of information. This describes how the hoist throttle can be used to hoist, hold, and lower all with one lever, clever stuff. Hope the detail comes through well enough to read. Apologies for the larger size of these images, but scaled down they were illegible.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2291 on: October 23, 2018, 02:34:15 AM »

Pete
The throttle/direction valve that is in the crowd and slew engines are shown starting back in posts 109 through 127 of this thread. Since then I have simplified the model version of the control valve even more, making it another D-valve with triangular end ports, which will give better throttle action. That whole valve setup is pretty complex, definitely will come up with more diagrams and descriptions when I get to the engines later on (wow, its been over a year so far, and no sign of an engine on this build yet!)

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #2292 on: October 23, 2018, 05:13:29 AM »
Thanks for the pages, Chris. I'll be reading them completely.

I am really looking forward to your working on the engines and such.

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2293 on: October 23, 2018, 03:29:30 PM »
Thanks for the pages, Chris. I'll be reading them completely.

I am really looking forward to your working on the engines and such.

Pete
I am looking forward to that part too, find out if I really interpreted those patents correctly!   :insane:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2294 on: October 23, 2018, 03:36:19 PM »
This morning I got the hoist drum axle turned down to shape. The middle was left 1/2", the ends turned down for the gears and bearings. The end with the large gear was drilled on the end for a #6 o-ring, which will be used for the steam feed into the hoist clutch on the large gear. A 1/8" passage beyond the o-ring seat was drilled up to the base of the large gear.

Then a cross hole was drilled to meet the steam passage, this hole will take the steam up to the clutch piston on one of the spokes.

Here are a couple shots of the parts test fit on the main frame. Still more work to do on the large gear to fit the clutch and counterweight, and need to drill the mount holes for the bearing blocks into the I-beams.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal