Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573435 times)

Offline Chester

Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #2250 on: October 17, 2018, 05:23:17 AM »
Beautiful work with the brown stuff, I love the way the knot works as an eye. Your repertoire of talent amazes me to no end

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2251 on: October 17, 2018, 03:12:04 PM »
Beautiful work with the brown stuff, I love the way the knot works as an eye. Your repertoire of talent amazes me to no end
Thanks Chester - that is not a knot, that is the eye carved in to the wood. This is based on an old weathervane that is a bit stylized, I am copying its pattern.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2252 on: October 18, 2018, 04:55:03 PM »
Yesterday I got a coat of paint on the gears and guide wheels - the interior machinery is going to be all a steel color, which is how the real machine is (frame/floors/booms are black).

And got a start on making up the fixture blocks to hold the guide wheel bracket for silver soldering. Couple of blocks, notched in the corners to avoid soldering the fixture to the parts. They also came in handy for setting the angle on the parts to mill the ends to fit each other. Here, the angled end is at rough cut length:

Here is the end cut down and notched:

And the guide wheel bracket ready for silver soldering. The fixture has some NicroBraze on the mating surfaces to keep any rouge solder from sticking them to the parts. The same fixtures will be used for soldering up the smaller bracket, which holds a set of guide blocks.

After soldering, the ends of the top will be milled to match the angles, and the bottom rail will have the center cut out leaving just the 'feet' at the ends.

Offline JC54

• Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #2253 on: October 18, 2018, 08:13:06 PM »
Chris, you do realize with painting all those gears that you are going to be in trouble with Don. I bet he was waiting to see if you polished them.  :Jester:   :NotWorthy: :praise2: to both Chris and Don. :old:  :DrinkPint:
When the Fun Stops,, Stop!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2254 on: October 18, 2018, 09:26:27 PM »
Chris, you do realize with painting all those gears that you are going to be in trouble with Don. I bet he was waiting to see if you polished them.  :Jester:   :NotWorthy: :praise2: to both Chris and Don. :old: :DrinkPint:
Oh well!  I guess if he wants to travel up here to polish them I can strip the paint....   ::)
 :cheers:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2255 on: October 18, 2018, 09:34:34 PM »
Got both of the guide wheel supports silver soldered up, pickled, and brushed clean this afternoon. The funny shaped bits at the left side are the soldering jigs.

Then trimmed the feet to length and trimmed off the top ends and the bottom center. Now they are ready for some JBWeld to fill the temporary holes from the soldering jig, and drilling the mount holes for the feet-to-floor screws and the axles for the wheels...

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2256 on: October 18, 2018, 10:18:43 PM »
That's some mighty nice fabrication work there, Chris!

So, what are you using for your 'steel colored' paint?  It looks nice. But now that I've got paint on the brain, I guess I need to know what you're using  :embarassed:

Kim

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2257 on: October 18, 2018, 10:29:29 PM »
That's some mighty nice fabrication work there, Chris!

So, what are you using for your 'steel colored' paint?  It looks nice. But now that I've got paint on the brain, I guess I need to know what you're using  :embarassed:

Kim
Hi Kim,

I have recently started using DupliColor ceramic engine spray paint, goes on nice and thin, can take high heat but needs no baking. This is thier Cast Aluminum color, is a good match for the 303 stainless color. I have used their black for the frame and floors, also on the rc boats, holds up well.  It needs a couple thin coats, can be recoated in ten minutes. Nice stuff.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2258 on: October 18, 2018, 11:31:16 PM »
Well Dog you done gone and did it painting them brass gears no more nice guy anymore. You done a bad thing and against my grain so I am going to seal theme elves from you and retrain them the Don way...... :lolb: Dog they look great polished or painted so you know .....I.........like......   :Love:

:drinking-41:
Don

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2259 on: October 18, 2018, 11:36:56 PM »
Well Dog you done gone and did it painting them brass gears no more nice guy anymore. You done a bad thing and against my grain so I am going to seal theme elves from you and retrain them the Don way...... :lolb: Dog they look great polished or painted so you know .....I.........like......   :Love:

:drinking-41:
Don

:ROFL:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #2260 on: October 19, 2018, 01:56:53 PM »
Chris, those guide wheels painted up look just like full size freshly sandblasted iron castings on a foundry floor. Great work (as usual!)
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2261 on: October 19, 2018, 04:30:25 PM »
Today I got the slew chain brackets bolted to the floor, and was able to hook things up for a test. Turns out that I had to unhook the chains, and line up all the links without any twists, or it wanted to walk off the turntable edge. Makes sense, cuts down on wear as well. 

Here are a couple of photos, then a video of it in action:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-tQ4-2Jp9s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-tQ4-2Jp9s</a>
Here is how the forward ends of the chain go around the end of the boom, and get drawn in by a pair of hooks. The hooks go through the boom, and a nut on the other side (the hardware kind, not me... well, me too) can tighten them up to tension the chain.

Offline Farmboy

• England
« Reply #2262 on: October 19, 2018, 05:26:55 PM »
Whoa! Looks like a potential Elf 'n Safety issue there, even if he is wearing a hard hat ...  :slap:

We all ran out of superlatives long ago but some great work on those gears, and the control levers and, well, everything  :cheers:

Mike.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2263 on: October 19, 2018, 05:28:21 PM »
Dog that is so cool I get chills watching it in action! Not bad work for not being a coonass like me.  :lolb:
Really Chris some awesome work!    :praise2:

:cheers:
Don

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2264 on: October 19, 2018, 05:55:16 PM »
Thanks guys!

That elf is standing where the real boom operator would have, who would have had a normal cap or hat on, no hard hat!  Even the main operator stands inches from the spinning guide wheel, no guards there. It was definitely pre OSHA!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal