Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 600149 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #2235 on: October 14, 2018, 06:56:22 PM »
Got a start on the chain guide wheels. Closest size I have is in brass, some leftovers from the gears, so am going to make them out of that. First step was to turn in the inside of the rim, like where the tire would go on a car rim. After parting off, they will be mounted on an arbor to mill in the spoke area. The turning was done with a parting tool, then the surface was filed smooth with a half-round file.

First one turned and parted off, here is where it will go on the model, holding the chain around the back side of the turntable. One more to turn, then can start milling....

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2236 on: October 15, 2018, 04:53:41 PM »
Continuing on with the slew chain guide wheels - mounted the wheels on an arbor on the rotary table, and milled out the recess in each of the sides:

The inside edge of the wheel got a pass with a small corner rounding mill. This was done on both sides of each wheel.

Then used a 1/8" end mill to drill the holes at the corners of the spokes (these spokes are straight sided, and will be notched in at the tops).

and like the gears, cut the arc at the ends of the openings then the straight sections down the sides:

Last step on this side was to use a 1/8" ball end mill to outline the edges of the spokes to form a narrower spoke edge. This is pretty close to the shape on the real wheels, they have squared off inside corners on the ends of the narrow parts of the spokes. Not exactly the same, but it gives the same general appearance.

Next the wheel will be turned over, and the last two steps repeated on the other side.

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #2237 on: October 15, 2018, 07:46:06 PM »
Hi Chris, impressive.
Poor elves.
Are you not worried about some unexpected contact between  them and one of your famous unions ?
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2238 on: October 15, 2018, 07:49:49 PM »
Hi Chris, impressive.
Poor elves.
Are you not worried about some unexpected contact between  them and one of your famous unions ?
Shhhh - they still think unions are just something to join pipes with!   :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2239 on: October 15, 2018, 07:51:43 PM »
Between some on and off work on the latest submarine project (a WW-II Delphin), got the other guide wheel done.

Next will be the support stands for the guides....

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2240 on: October 16, 2018, 12:25:33 AM »
Now all you have to do is put some coonass style tires on them and they are ready to go..... make swamp buggy with them :lolb: looking good dog some more excellent work..... :praise2:

:cheers:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2241 on: October 16, 2018, 12:32:18 AM »
Now all you have to do is put some coonass style tires on them and they are ready to go..... make swamp buggy with them :lolb: looking good dog some more excellent work..... :praise2:

Don
They do look like old wood car tire rims, don't they?  Have to make sure the elves don't steal them for thier hot rod!

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #2242 on: October 16, 2018, 01:33:52 PM »
Just Beautiful Shiny Things.

Gotta say again your attention to detail and build speed is incredible.

Several Dozen more of those wheels and your Christmas tree decorations are all ready in time for the season.  :Jester: :ThumbsUp:

--ShopShoe

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #2243 on: October 16, 2018, 05:41:20 PM »

[/quote]
Have to make sure the elves don't steal them for thier hot rod!
[/quote]

I thought this WAS the elves hot rod.

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2244 on: October 16, 2018, 07:16:49 PM »

Have to make sure the elves don't steal them for thier hot rod!

I thought this WAS the elves hot rod.

Don

They have sliegh with a small block, 600 riendeer power...   :Lol:

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #2245 on: October 16, 2018, 07:35:24 PM »
Yeah, right.  Next you're gonna tell me they have their own submarine too.

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2246 on: October 16, 2018, 08:19:40 PM »
Yeah, right.  Next you're gonna tell me they have their own submarine too.

Don
Well, they let me borrow one from the fleet once in a while...   :Jester:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2247 on: October 16, 2018, 10:20:58 PM »
Not much to show today, figured out how I am going to make the bases for the guide wheels and milled down the stock to width and put the recess in the undersides of the pieces.

The two bases are different widths, so a stack of 1/2" parts and a stack of 5/8" parts. The thin bars at the bottom will be the bases that bolt to the floors, the long pieces above that are the tops, and the short pieces above those will be the angled sides. I will mill the ends of the sides to length/angle, and make up a set of temporary braces for silver soldering all the parts together.
Here is a screencap from the 3D model to show where all this is going:

Offline bouch

« Reply #2248 on: October 16, 2018, 11:26:51 PM »
Actually the historical society is using the name Maid (Made?) Marion Project for the stabilization and restoration work on the shovel. Its a play on words at a couple of levels, including the old children's story of Mike Mulligan and his steam shovel Mary Ann.

As a total aside, when you drive from NY to ME, you probably drive up route 495 in Massachusetts.  You pass just a few miles away from West Newbury, MA, where "Mike Mulligan" was written.  If you look at the book, you'll see " *Acknowledgments to Dickie Birkenbush. " on the page where a little boy suggests Mary Anne becomes the furnace.  Well, that's because 12 year old Dickie Berkenbush suggested to the author how to solve the problem because she had written Mary Anne into the cellar and couldn't figure out how to get her out.  (yes, its spelled wrong in the book)  That little boy was on West Newbury's fire department for almost 40 years, and became fire chief, police chief, and selectman of the town...  (and, and an even further aside, West Newbury is also where Wrestling superstar John Cena grew up)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2249 on: October 17, 2018, 01:39:00 AM »
Actually the historical society is using the name Maid (Made?) Marion Project for the stabilization and restoration work on the shovel. Its a play on words at a couple of levels, including the old children's story of Mike Mulligan and his steam shovel Mary Ann.

As a total aside, when you drive from NY to ME, you probably drive up route 495 in Massachusetts.  You pass just a few miles away from West Newbury, MA, where "Mike Mulligan" was written.  If you look at the book, you'll see " *Acknowledgments to Dickie Birkenbush. " on the page where a little boy suggests Mary Anne becomes the furnace.  Well, that's because 12 year old Dickie Berkenbush suggested to the author how to solve the problem because she had written Mary Anne into the cellar and couldn't figure out how to get her out.  (yes, its spelled wrong in the book)  That little boy was on West Newbury's fire department for almost 40 years, and became fire chief, police chief, and selectman of the town...  (and, and an even further aside, West Newbury is also where Wrestling superstar John Cena grew up)
Great info!
Yup - I go up the turnpike then take 495 around (going through Worcester like the GPS keeps recommending is totally out, traffic is terrible).

Thanks for the background, I'll pass that along to the folks at the historical society, they will love it!
No more done on the model later this afternoon, been sidetracked making a replacement for an old weathervane at my mothers house that has taken some rot damage, here it is roughed in. Its carved out of a block made from a 4x4 from her old redwood deck, glued up to get the height. This is a couple hours with the flex-shaft and a large roughing bur. The dark lines are the glue joints, the surface of the 4x4 had been stained. A bit more sanding, and ready for some finish work.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal