Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573035 times)

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #2220 on: October 11, 2018, 08:01:00 PM »
Great, now the shop elves are making up a catalog for gear making services... Some sample art for their catalog! 

:Lol:

Very artfully done!  Look like a nice stack of Onion Rings from Red Robin or something :)

That's a lot of gears Chris!
Kim

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #2221 on: October 11, 2018, 09:10:02 PM »
Looks like a stack of gold :-X

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #2222 on: October 11, 2018, 10:17:31 PM »
Chris,

It is almost becoming painful to watch our work. You certainly have a golden touch with metal.

I do hope that your models are destined for museum sites where they will be fully appreciated long into the future.

.John

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2223 on: October 11, 2018, 10:35:31 PM »
Thanks guys!
This afternoon saw some more work on the slew gear side plates - drilled the holes for the bearings:

Ready for the bearing inserts - making them out of some 3/8" bearing bronze rod.

After turning/drilling the bronze for the bearing inserts, seperating the plates, and assembling everything, here is the slew gear train so far - pics taken from angles around the assembly. I did have to mill a recess in the bottom plate to get it to clear the first large gear. Then again to put the recess on the proper side!   :embarassed:

Next up is to shape the upper surfaces of the bearing caps down, and to make the U-shaped holders for the ends of the slew chains inside the winding drum. After that I can locate and drill the mounting holes to hold the assembly down to the main frame rails.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2224 on: October 12, 2018, 04:05:21 AM »
Dog that is just too cool but you know I have to ask. Do you ever sleep? You just keep spitting out work like there is no tomorrow. Not that it isn’t quality work mind you but man give them poor elves a rest son. You just can’t work time like slaves on chocolate cookies...... :lolb: really Chris some great craftsmanship dog........and you know .......I........like......../. :Love:

:drinking-41:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2225 on: October 12, 2018, 03:24:37 PM »
Dog that is just too cool but you know I have to ask. Do you ever sleep? You just keep spitting out work like there is no tomorrow. Not that it isn’t quality work mind you but man give them poor elves a rest son. You just can’t work time like slaves on chocolate cookies...... :lolb: really Chris some great craftsmanship dog........and you know .......I........like......../. :Love:

:drinking-41:
Don
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....ZZZZZ...zzz.... huh? what...

Oh yes, plenty of sleep!

:)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2226 on: October 12, 2018, 08:33:35 PM »
Between afternoon naps, I've gotten a start on milling down the bearing caps for the slew gear train. With a tall parallel in place to set the hieght the same for each one, started out milling back the ends to leave the bolt flanges on either side:

Then used the old rod-in-the-center-hole trick to shape off the tops - with the part held down onto a piece of thin rod stock (shank of a drill works too) and the vise tightened down, a pass is made with the mill to cut the top of the arc. Then loosen the vise, turn the part a bit, tighten, and repeat the cut. It only takes 4 or 5 cuts on each side to form the arc, with the rod ensuring that the part is kept at the right height. It is important to push down on the part when tightening, and to make sure no chips get under the rod, but this is quicker than setting up the rotary table, and it gets right into the flange inner corner. Once the height is set on the first cut on the first part, leave the headstock height locked for the rest of the parts.
Here is one side done:

and the other side in process, after a couple of cuts:

Here is a finished cap alongside one ready to mill:

Once all the caps are milled, they will be assembled with some studs and nuts onto the frames. Some of the studs will have to be longer since the sheet metal gear guards are held in place on them.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #2227 on: October 12, 2018, 08:39:44 PM »
Then used the old rod-in-the-center-hole trick to shape off the tops - with the part held down onto a piece of thin rod stock (shank of a drill works too) and the vise tightened down, a pass is made with the mill to cut the top of the arc. Then loosen the vise, turn the part a bit, tighten, and repeat the cut. It only takes 4 or 5 cuts on each side to form the arc, with the rod ensuring that the part is kept at the right height.

Hello Chris,

Not only watching your build is interesting, I am always learning something new.   :noidea:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #2228 on: October 12, 2018, 08:46:10 PM »
Well while you are sleeping the elves just get on with it!

Very nice stack of gears, the slew works is rather nice too!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2229 on: October 12, 2018, 10:57:00 PM »
One more bit of work for the day - got the rest of the bearing caps shaped down, then was about to cut some threaded rod for the mounting studs for the caps when I thought of an easier way - just run in the socket head screws again with a nut in place, which allows use of the hex wrench to run them in without chance of bunging up the threads:

tighten the nuts down, and then just trim off the socket head with a abrasive wheel in a rotary tool:

Presto, installed studs.

Here is the slew gear assembly so far, set where it will be on the main floor:

Still to be added are the sheet metal gear guards and the bolts to mount the assembly to the frame. On the real machine, there are bolts out the bottoms of the side plates that go through the I-beams underneath. To allow for a little adjustment ability, I think for the model I will modify this slightly, and use a set of L-clamps on either side that grip the flange on the I-beams against the cross plate of the gear base. It will be easier to install in the first place, and also allow slight movement room for installation to ensure the small gear on the lower shaft meshes well with the hoist gear train, which is on a seperate base from this one. On the real machine they may well have made the mount holes in the frames slightly large to allow the same thing, cannot tell without dismantling it which is of course impossible for me to do.
 :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2230 on: October 13, 2018, 10:25:32 PM »
This afternoon I made up the L-clamps to hold the slew gear train onto the main frame. They are simple bits of square stock, milled on one side and drilled through for a screw into the bottom of the slew base. Slipped over the top flanges of the I-beams and floor plates then tightened down, they hold the gear train in place quite securely.

I also bent up some steel rod into U-shapes, drilled matching holes in the winding drum side and the gear wall, and loctited them in place. Since the drum side wall is fairly thin, that one was also peaned over on the outside to keep it from coming back through if the loctite fails. Here is a shot of everything in place, including some lengths of the chain that will go up to the turntable.

Note that the two chains are wound the opposite way around the drum - this way, as the drum turns the chain will be fed out on one side and taken in on the other side an equal amount (there is only one layer of chain on the drum). Since the other ends of the chains will be attached to the base of the main boom, that will let it spin the turntable up to 90 degrees without the chains slackening off.

The next steps will be to make the guards for the gears, and then I will start on the guide wheels up at the turntable end. Those wheels guide the slew chains up to the center of the back of the turntable. Here is a picture of the wheels on the real machine. Note that one is tipped up, that is to guide the chain towards the top of the winding drum, the level one is aimed at the bottom of the drum.

Once those guides are made and installed, I can attach the front ends of the chain to the boom, and make a video showing the slew chain in action.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #2231 on: October 13, 2018, 11:59:51 PM »
Hi Chris ,  :popcorn: :popcorn: lots of good work going on here  !  Will the crane have a name  ?? you could call it /her/she.. Alacrity !! due to the rapid gestation process !!

Willy

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #2232 on: October 14, 2018, 12:15:19 AM »
Hi Chris ,  :popcorn: :popcorn: lots of good work going on here  !  Will the crane have a name  ?? you could call it /her/she.. Alacrity !! due to the rapid gestation process !!

Willy

She has a name:  Miss Marion.

I think.  :paranoia:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2233 on: October 14, 2018, 12:25:44 AM »
Actually the historical society is using the name Maid (Made?) Marion Project for the stabilization and restoration work on the shovel. Its a play on words at a couple of levels, including the old children's story of Mike Mulligan and his steam shovel Mary Ann.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2234 on: October 14, 2018, 04:51:02 PM »
Bit of fiddly work today, cut some strips of aluminum sheet (same as used on the floor plates) to make the gear guards for the slew train. These were bent by hand, combination of over the gears and pliers. They are rivitted to the support brackets, narrower strips, and bolted onto the bearing cap studs.

An overall shot showing where the slew train sits on the floor. The elves were partying last night, they are passed out at the right side...  ;) I think they may have gotten hold of Zee's recipe for Stinking Hoppies! 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal