Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573843 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #2175 on: October 02, 2018, 09:22:16 PM »
Hello Chris,

Out of curiosity tell me the actual size of the largest gear that you just finished making and in relationship the actual size of that gear on the real machine.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2176 on: October 02, 2018, 09:55:52 PM »
Fine work your doing with your gears, Chris.

The clock looks great too!  Unfortunately, it seems to be missing a few hands - hard to tell what time it is that way.  Of course, I guess you can just listen to the hour and half hour strikes I guess :)

Kim
Yeah, well, that shot was taken as the frame was finished, and before final assembly on the wall. Here it is in place and working:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2177 on: October 02, 2018, 10:00:49 PM »
Hello Chris,

Out of curiosity tell me the actual size of the largest gear that you just finished making and in relationship the actual size of that gear on the real machine.

Have a great day,
Thomas
The largest one is 4-1/2" diameter, the real one is 16 times that, or 6 feet in diameter - quite a large beastie. It is the one for the main hoist winding drum, it will also have a steam operated clutch piston bolted to one of the spokes to clamp in with the clutch band. Quite an interesting mechanism, it takes steam from the valve though the axle and up the side of the spoke, there is a rotating gland at the end of the axle to feed in steam through the axle. Due to the weight of that piston, there is also a counterweight on the opposite spokes, like the ones on a driver wheel on a locomotive. Another place where finding the original patent documents filled in a lot of internal mechanisms not visible on the machine. The other end of the same axle has a gear that connects down to the track drive gear train, that has its own dog clutch to engage the tracks.

:cheers:

« Reply #2178 on: October 02, 2018, 10:22:26 PM »
Thanks Chris, it is incredible the amount of research that you have done on this project and the time that you spend replicating each part.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2179 on: October 03, 2018, 01:08:08 AM »
Ah... there are the hands :)
Nice clock, Chris!
Kim

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2180 on: October 03, 2018, 01:40:48 PM »
Thomas, here is a drawing out of the Marion patent about the hoist clutch, showing the piston that is mounted to the spoke of the large gear. It is fed steam through the axle shaft from a small slide valve on the floor.

These two captures from the 3D CAD model show the same thing, including the band around the drum that the clutch operates:

Note that the clutch piston revolves with the gear. The drum sits on the axle shaft, but freewheels on the shaft unless the clutch band is tightened down to make it spin with the gear. One end of the band sits on a pin on the gear rim, the other end is on the end of the arm moved by the piston.

« Reply #2181 on: October 03, 2018, 01:58:11 PM »
Hello Chris,

Wow, amazing.....I just love to see how our forefathers worked through problems. Thanks for showing this information, it makes your project even more interesting....if that is even possible.

Wouldn’t you love to have been an apprentice working on that project back in the day?

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #2182 on: October 03, 2018, 02:04:10 PM »
Hey again Chris,

Studying their original drawing, it appears that one cylinder is a "one-way" action and the second cylinder is a "spring return" action. Cool.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #2183 on: October 03, 2018, 02:06:49 PM »
Hello Chris

I love your attention to detail and the painstaking research that is behind it. You not only build a better model but you capture and record part of the history of a bygone age.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2184 on: October 03, 2018, 02:08:56 PM »
Hey again Chris,

Studying their original drawing, it appears that one cylinder is a "one-way" action and the second cylinder is a "spring return" action. Cool.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thats right - the smaller cylinder has a coil spring to return the piston and arm when there is no steam pressing on it. They actually ran the exhaust and drain from the piston back down through the axle to keep it from spraying hot water drops around as the gear was spinning. For the model, that extra piping may not be possible.  Patent filings give an amazing amount of detail to mechanisms, that is well worth digging for on any project.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2185 on: October 03, 2018, 02:11:29 PM »
Hello Chris

I love your attention to detail and the painstaking research that is behind it. You not only build a better model but you capture and record part of the history of a bygone age.

Mike
Thanks Mike! I am amassing a lot of notes that hopefully will make it to a article/book about the Marion 91 someday, there is very little currently published about them except for photo collections of them at work. I guess at the time they were just everyday machines not worth documenting, and when obsolete they were forgotten.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #2186 on: October 03, 2018, 06:03:17 PM »
This is an absolutely fascinating build, and great fun as a spectator. Thanks for taking us along!
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2187 on: October 03, 2018, 09:16:03 PM »
Thanks Stuart!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2188 on: October 04, 2018, 12:20:43 AM »
Not much time in the shop today, lots of other stuff going on, but I did get the recesses cut in the one gear, which forms one side wall of the winding drum for the slew chain. Started with normal turning tool to get the recess started towards the hub, angling in on a few cuts, then put on the boring bar and took the recess out to the rim. Same both sides.

Also milled off the wider part near the hub on these last three, leftover material from the blank. On the smaller ones this was done on the lathe as the blanks were prepped, but these three are too large to hold in the chuck, and this center section is left over from holding the blank on the arbor.

Thats all I had time for today, partly since I kept being startled when walking into the room and seeing this:

AHHHHHHHH!!!!! Where'd the model go?!?!?!?!?   :o :o :o :o
Oh, yeah, packed up for the trip....
Whew.... :Lol:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2189 on: October 04, 2018, 01:05:41 AM »
As always Dog top work and nice looking gears...... :praise2:

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal