Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 572079 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #2100 on: September 20, 2018, 06:06:28 AM »
Just amazing work on those little levers and foot controls!
Kim

Offline jonesie

« Reply #2101 on: September 20, 2018, 02:31:53 PM »
Chris this project is coming along great ,you are doing some really nice work. this is a fun project to watch as was your last build of the log hauler thanks for sharing

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2102 on: September 20, 2018, 03:04:56 PM »
Thanks guys!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2103 on: September 20, 2018, 09:13:02 PM »
And finishing up on the control levers and linkages (well, some final connections still but they cannot be done until the engines are made later on).

One thing I forgot to do the other day was give the dog clutch handle a quarter twist, so the bottom end mates up with the control arm below the floor:

Then I made up the final connecting rods for all the linkages, and got them installed. One more time to have the model do a nose-stand to be able to work underneath. In order to get the rods in place, I also removed the floor plate on that side.

Here is a view from up top at the connections:

And the levers:

Everything moves as it should, so I think this wraps up the controls for now. The next stage of the build will be the gear trains that sit in the center of the cab, some extending down through the large opening in the floor and hanging underneath the frame. Here is a render from the 3D CAD model of the trains:

At the upper left are the gears and winding drum for the slew engine, which spin the turntable left and right. In the center is the main hoist drum and gears. It has two bands around the rim of the drum, one to engage the gears and the drum to hoist the bucket, the other is the brake band for controlled lowering of the bucket. On the near side of the drum is another gear trains that sends power down to the drive shafts at the bottom, which turn the front tracks. Behind the center holder is a dog clutch for engaging the track drive to the hoist engine gear train. The shafts coming out either side are have universal joints at the ends.
All in all, quite a set of gears. I am currently updating the plan sheets for these (realized I had botched the shapes of some of the spokes in the CAD model), and calculating out the cutters and diameters for each gear. Rather than changing setups back and forth for each one, I will make them all up as a batch, then make the shafts and holding plates for them.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #2104 on: September 20, 2018, 09:39:07 PM »
Hello Chris,

Is that small wood floor all that the operator had to stand on?

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2105 on: September 20, 2018, 10:13:38 PM »
Hello Chris,

Is that small wood floor all that the operator had to stand on?

Have a great day,
Thomas
Yes - it fills the space between the A-frame and the cab front wall, and on its right is the guide sheaves for the slew chain. Having been in the real one, there is enough space for one person to comfortably stand, not much if someone needs to walk past him though.

Its interesting to look at old photos of the shovels, and notice that in almost all cases the owners (or crew) added scaffolding on the outside of the cab to get from front to back of the machine, since there is barely enough room to walk inside the cab, its more one-foot-in-front-of-the-other, since the machinery takes up almost the entire width. The only ones with much room are the boiler engineer and fireman, back behind the boiler, though that space was full of coal piles.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #2106 on: September 20, 2018, 10:37:42 PM »
By heck Chris this thread jumps ahead.
I spend a day & 1/2 traveling & you add 2 1/2 pages!
Going to have to have another coffee while I try to catch up.

Great work!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2107 on: September 21, 2018, 07:35:34 PM »
By heck Chris this thread jumps ahead.
I spend a day & 1/2 traveling & you add 2 1/2 pages!
Going to have to have another coffee while I try to catch up.

Great work!

Cheers Kerrin
:cheers:
There is my fall trip up to maine to play with the Lombard at the lumber museum coming up, that will give you time to catch up!
 :Lol:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2108 on: September 21, 2018, 07:47:01 PM »
Finished updating the plans for the gear trains, and made notes of all the diameters, thicknesses, and hub hole diameters for all the gears (there are 12 of them altogether). Given that the number of teeth and diameters were scaled down from the real machine, and that I only have certain sizes of gear cutter sets, I had to adjust the number of teeth on these slightly to maintain the desired outside diameter, which I figure is more important. The closest set I have is Module 1, which is very close but not exact to the scaled down sizes - had to add several teeth to each gear (one to the smallest, several to the largest) to get spacings to work out. Thats not bad, considering I am matching a 112 year old machine. Getting the exact size would have needed a Module 0.94461 cutter seet, which is unlikely to be in the catalogs!

This afternoon I started cutting down the bar stock for a blank for each one. Here are the first 6 of them being trimmed to thickness:

And then drilled/bored the hub holes. The smallest were just drilled, the larger ones were drilled then bored to dimension to ensure a good clean round hole.

The next batch are larger than any round bar that I have on hand, and will be cut from some 3/8"x3" flat bar. The three largest are too big to get out of the largest bar stock I have, so I have ordered some discs for those. The step after getting them to thickness and the holes bored is to make up some arbors to hold them out from the chuck for turning them to diameter and then cutting the teeth. The largest ones won't fit on my lathe, and will need to be milled round on the rotary table.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2109 on: September 21, 2018, 09:47:34 PM »
Still with you Dog and still amazed! Awesome work and well documented thread........ :ThumbsUp:

Don

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2110 on: September 21, 2018, 11:04:58 PM »
Still with you Dog and still amazed! Awesome work and well documented thread........ :ThumbsUp:

Don

Thanks Don!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2111 on: September 22, 2018, 09:41:29 PM »
A few more gear blanks to thickness/diameter and hub holes drilled. The three largest still to go...
The small ones will be taken to diameter once the arbor is ready.

Offline galland

« Reply #2112 on: September 23, 2018, 02:34:23 AM »
Was doing a little research on the Marion Shovels and found a website with a bunch of photos of a 5760 shovel being assembled. It is amazing and huge. If anyone is interested.        www.stripmine.org/5760_slideshow.htm

Gary

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2113 on: September 23, 2018, 02:52:01 AM »
Was doing a little research on the Marion Shovels and found a website with a bunch of photos of a 5760 shovel being assembled. It is amazing and huge. If anyone is interested.        www.stripmine.org/5760_slideshow.htm

Gary

Wow, that is enormous!! It needs its own zip code. Thanks!

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #2114 on: September 23, 2018, 08:45:59 AM »
OK Chris, when are you going to start building this one? :facepalm:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal