Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 572116 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #2040 on: September 12, 2018, 12:40:27 AM »
One more bit added tonight - the bars that go from that curved control arm out under the opening in the floor (where the gear trains and chain drums will be) which will engage the dog clutch for the track drive. Simple bent bars with pivot holes, and turned one end down to fit in the hole in the end of a clevis. The bar running left/right pivots on a screw into the frame at the left end, and the other bar connects to the curved arm shown earlier. The nut/bolt at the intersection of these two bars is loctited (blue) in place with the nut left a little loose so the joint can pivot. Same at the connection to the curved control arm.

I think this is the last of the control linkages (short connectors out to each engine/drain/etc will be added as those assemblies are made), and I can start on the raised floor and levers at the operators station up front.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #2041 on: September 12, 2018, 01:29:11 AM »
Will come in handy when you do the Stanley Steamer.
(Sorry Zee..couldn't resist.)

Nothing to be sorry about. It WILL be Chris. And we ALL can't wait.  :Lol:
Well we can wait a bit...this project is pretty fascinating.

Maybe I can get Ye-Old-Steam-Dude to put a Stanley body on the big one he is building, and convince Zee that is who he was talking to....   :thinking:

Don't think so. Ye-Old-Steam-Dude is a southerner and I'm closer to being (or having been) a southerner than you.
I'm thinking hoping that counts for something.
On the other hand...if skill and knowledge counts for something...then I'm doomed.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #2042 on: September 12, 2018, 08:12:35 PM »
used the tip-model-on-its-nose trick again

Pretty soon that trick isn't going to work anymore.  Then you're either going to have to invest in either eye-bolts and chain hoists, or an electric car hoist.

Don

Offline bouch

« Reply #2043 on: September 12, 2018, 09:47:26 PM »

One thing I have been experimenting with this week is just how to get this big beast of a model into my car (Maxda CX-5) for the trip up to Maine in October (they asked me to bring up the Lombard and the Marion to their two-day fall event, I'll be joining their crew running the real Lombard again!   :whoohoo: ). I could slide it in lengthwise from the back, but that means it rides up on the back of the seats, which don't fold down quite flat. I also have a big plywood platform with padding/vinyl on one side that we used as a seat for the dogs in a Subaru, turns out that fits nicely over the top of the back seat in the Mazda and lays flat and snug - still have to see if the Marion will slide in through the side door, think it will fit with the main boom swung over about 45 degrees. Either way, I need to make a tray for the model that will cradle the tracks, and have some tie-down straps for the frame and boom to keep it from slipping around.
 :thinking:

You could make a practice run by bringing both to Clark's Trading Post this weekend ;)

Mike

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2044 on: September 12, 2018, 09:57:52 PM »
used the tip-model-on-its-nose trick again

Pretty soon that trick isn't going to work anymore.  Then you're either going to have to invest in either eye-bolts and chain hoists, or an electric car hoist.

Don
As soon as the gear trains start going in I think it will want to come back down level on its own again - may need some scaffolding from Elves Rent-A-Tool! Thats why I am trying to get as much as possible underneath done now - connecting up links to the engines can be done in some cases by taking up a floor plate.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2045 on: September 12, 2018, 09:59:44 PM »

One thing I have been experimenting with this week is just how to get this big beast of a model into my car (Maxda CX-5) for the trip up to Maine in October (they asked me to bring up the Lombard and the Marion to their two-day fall event, I'll be joining their crew running the real Lombard again!   :whoohoo: ). I could slide it in lengthwise from the back, but that means it rides up on the back of the seats, which don't fold down quite flat. I also have a big plywood platform with padding/vinyl on one side that we used as a seat for the dogs in a Subaru, turns out that fits nicely over the top of the back seat in the Mazda and lays flat and snug - still have to see if the Marion will slide in through the side door, think it will fit with the main boom swung over about 45 degrees. Either way, I need to make a tray for the model that will cradle the tracks, and have some tie-down straps for the frame and boom to keep it from slipping around.
 :thinking:

You could make a practice run by bringing both to Clark's Trading Post this weekend ;)

Mike
Wish I could - we have our season-ending submarine run and picnic this weekend, have lots of people coming. Take lots of pictures for me! Just a few weeks out to the run up to Maine to drive theirs around again.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2046 on: September 13, 2018, 12:49:36 AM »
Catching up with the progress (took the afternoon and went canoeing, first time out in quite a while due to some tendon problems, great time out today) on the controls. Next step is to make the floor that the operator stands on. It is raised up for a couple reasons probably, better view to the bucket, to leave room underneath for the hoist drum clutch rod (which goes on top of the floor), and to keep the lever arms underneath from projecting below the frames and being hit by rocks. It has a simple bar framework:

that gets a set of wide planks on top:

I took a look at those bolt heads, decided they were too thick, and sanded them down thinner:

The frames are bolted to the floor plate. Here is a view with the floor plate removed - you can see some of the control rods underneath that the levers will connect to.

The brass crossbar you see is the top of one of the short cross I-beams. Next steps will be to make the brackets for the control levers, then the levers themselves. The brackets on the real engine bolt to the vertical back edge of the A-frame support beam in front of the floor assembly. To make it easier to remove this section in one piece, I will have the brackets attach to an L-shaped piece down to the floor - position will be the same, just the attachment will differ. On the real one there is room to reach in under the floor to the brackets, not so much on the model.
Here is a view of the real floor, showing the (falling apart) wood floor timbers, and also the control levers and brackets underneath.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #2047 on: September 13, 2018, 01:43:51 AM »
Next step is to make the floor that the operator stands on.

Operator.  :lolb: We know who you mean.  ;D
"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2048 on: September 13, 2018, 02:23:10 AM »

Cool. Then you can explain it to me, you lost me on that one.   :headscratch:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #2049 on: September 13, 2018, 03:06:20 AM »

Cool. Then you can explain it to me, you lost me on that one.   :headscratch:

Pick one. You, an elf, me (as in who would't want to operate that thing), some other soul.
"To work. To work."

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #2050 on: September 13, 2018, 03:20:29 AM »
Hi Chris ,  there seem to be quite a few square nuts dotted about in the photo...more interesting work going on   :praise2:

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2051 on: September 13, 2018, 03:21:52 AM »
Well, on the real machine, there were two operators, one on the turntable controlling the crowd engine throttle/direction/drain and releasing the bucket door, and one at the station behind and to the left, controlling the hoist throttle/brake/direction/clutch, the slew throttle, the track drive clutch, the steering throttle, and the hoist/slew drains.

I would love to have a chance to actually operate either position on the real thing. Will have to settle for operating the model!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2052 on: September 13, 2018, 03:27:35 AM »
Hi Chris ,  there seem to be quite a few square nuts dotted about in the photo...more interesting work going on   :praise2:

Willy
Thanks Willy!  So far just hex nuts pn the model. There are square ones on the wood floor on the real one, but I am not sure if those are original or replacements, cannot tell if the wood is original or not, since the cab itself was changed from wood to steel at some point. All the nuts on the mechanisms are hex nuts. The cab probably dates to the 30s or 40s, but hard to be sure. The shovel was built in 1906, retired in 1949, a long career.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2053 on: September 13, 2018, 09:08:20 PM »

Willy
Thanks Willy!  So far just hex nuts pn the model. There are square ones on the wood floor on the real one, but I am not sure if those are original or replacements, cannot tell if the wood is original or not, since the cab itself was changed from wood to steel at some point. All the nuts on the mechanisms are hex nuts. The cab probably dates to the 30s or 40s, but hard to be sure. The shovel was built in 1906, retired in 1949, a long career.
Was looking through more of the photos, and you are right, there are more square nuts holding the smaller control parts on underneath than I had noticed before - good eye! Apparently the larger ones are all he, the smaller ones are a mix. Wonder why?

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2054 on: September 13, 2018, 09:15:51 PM »
Today I got the brackets that hold the cross rod for the control levers made out of some brass bar. Started by cutting in from the side, leaving the 'feet' on the bottom that they will bolt on with. The parts rested on a parallel bar in the clamp, so the distance in from each side was the same. Oh - first I had drilled the pivot holes.

Then angled the parts to cut the taper on the sides.

Then milled out the bulk of the panel on the sides to form the recess. The corners were squared up with a small dental bur in the high speed air handpiece.

After cutting the two brackets apart, the bottoms were cleaned up square with the mill.

And the two parts ready for the levers. The row of levers will ride on the shaft, with short lengths of tubing as spacers between them (real ones were done the same way - that way they rotate independantly on the shaft and dont shift sideways).

Next up I think will be the control levers...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal