Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 575749 times)

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #1335 on: May 22, 2018, 03:42:15 AM »
Pretty slick Chris  :ThumbsUp:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1336 on: May 23, 2018, 10:25:51 PM »
Pretty slick Chris  :ThumbsUp:
Thanks Craig!
Been off splitting time between outdoor fun and working on a new single-propellor gimbal mount for the sea turtle so I can ditch the belt drive, which broke out at the pond. Also, the brass bar for the front track supports arrived today, so work on the shovel will continue soon...
Chris

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #1337 on: May 23, 2018, 11:45:02 PM »
Back from a long trip to visit family.

I see nothing has changed here.  :disappointed:

Still the same old fantastic work and progress that defies the speed of light.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #1338 on: May 24, 2018, 12:02:51 AM »

I see nothing has changed here.

Still the same old fantastic work and progress that defies the speed of light.

I think that if we could clone Chris a few hundred times, we could have a man on Mars tomorrow afternoon.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1339 on: May 24, 2018, 12:18:08 AM »

I see nothing has changed here.

Still the same old fantastic work and progress that defies the speed of light.

I think that if we could clone Chris a few hundred times, we could have a man on Mars tomorrow afternoon.
At least we'd have a few hundred NASA/government beurocrats with big boot prints on their butts!   :ROFL:
Besides, Zee will send Ninja Attack Gnomes after me if I don't build a Stanley Steamer engine next!
Not sure if my design for a butane fired boiler and big steam engine will really work in space anyway...
Just finished bolting the new single-prop gimbal mount to the sea turtle's butt  :hellno: (such language when I started drilling, though he talks very slow so it is funnier than hell), need to redo the motor mount in the water tight compartment to drive a single shaft out the center rather than the two belt-drive ones I started with. Then back on the shovel...
 :cheers:

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #1340 on: May 25, 2018, 07:57:37 PM »
Don't you just hate it when old projects get in the way of new projects?  :'(
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1341 on: May 25, 2018, 08:24:38 PM »
Don't you just hate it when old projects get in the way of new projects?  :'(

Just means more to make!

Got the turtle sub reassembled, getting back to the shovel now.   :)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1342 on: May 25, 2018, 09:55:20 PM »
Back working on the shovel again, next part is the base plates for the brace rods from the frames to the track supports - last time I had made the standards for those, so I cut, trimmed, drilled some thin steel for the base plates. The ones on the right of the photo were thick enough in the center to drill/tap for some 1-72 screws to hold them for silver soldering. The ones on the left are too thin, but the head of a 2-56 screw just fit between the legs of the U, so that should do to keep them in line for soldering. They all go at a 45 degree angle to the bases, and there is a left and right of each one. The U-shaped ones go at the front corners of the frame, the others back behind the tracks. I don't know why they made them different shapes since they hold the same kind of rod at the same angle and distance out.So, will get them soldered up and cut apart later, then start making up the parts for the track supports (they are sitting on top of the 3/4" bar the track supports will be made from).

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1343 on: May 26, 2018, 01:18:07 AM »
Here are the parts soldered up, cut apart, and the front ones installed. Still need to drill the holes into the bottom of the I-beams for the rear ones, need to take the front turntable off to do that.

Next parts will be the track supports, and the brackets to hold them to the frames.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1344 on: May 26, 2018, 11:26:27 PM »
Got a bunch done on the track supports this afternoon. After working out the angles between the three sides of the triangle (twice - first time had a bit of a brain fart) I made up a set of wooden angle blocks for the different angles, so I could set the bars in the vise at the proper angles. Set my protractor (nice ebay find a while back, works great but the new prices are crazy) to the angles, and used that on top of the mill vise to set some plywood blocks (sawn to have two parallel faces).
Then milled off the top surface

and the end face

to make a pair of right triangle blocks at each of the angles. With the appropriate block under the bars, milled off the ends to the mating angles:

Here are the blocks with the inital cuts made:

Since the sides of rolled bars are not always all that flat, and to give a notch for the angled bar to rest against, milled a slight recess on the mating surfaces of the long bar:

and an angled notch on the end of the mid bar, to take the small bar:

After some careful measuring and some trimming the end of the small bars, got a very good fit of all three:

I need to make one more small rectangular block, to form the portion where the angle rod braces come in above the bottom tube, and drill some holes for temporary screws to hold everything in place for silver soldering. Also need to cut the round bar for the bottom axle tubes - I think those will be notched and pinned in place under these triangles.
So you can see where this is all going again, here is what the whole assembly will look like:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #1345 on: May 27, 2018, 01:13:04 AM »
Got a bunch done ...

:lolb: :lolb: :lolb:

What you think is a lot done...is to some of us...a life's work.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1346 on: May 27, 2018, 01:25:49 AM »
Got a bunch done ...

:lolb: :lolb: :lolb:

What you think is a lot done...is to some of us...a life's work.
Just another day in the alternate universe...   :Lol:

:cheers:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1347 on: May 27, 2018, 04:11:15 PM »
Here are the parts screwed together and ready for soldering, including the extra small bit needed for the angle brace connections.

Got the joints on the track supports silver soldered before lunch, they are in the pickle solution now getting cleaned up again. I'll check to see if the solder made it all the way through the joints, if not will do another pass from the other side for good measure, they are wide joints. I did use the whack-with-a-punch method to raise slight bumps to leave room for the solder to wick through, and could see the solder disapear into the joints, so it went part way in at least.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1348 on: May 27, 2018, 06:24:23 PM »
Yup, after cleaning found one joint on each, at the slated end of the narrow bar, which was not well flowed into. Resoldered that and repickling now...

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #1349 on: May 27, 2018, 07:14:37 PM »
Looking great Chris  :ThumbsUp:

This project must be costing a fortune in raw materials and the labour costs  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal