Author Topic: S/N 10 Shay  (Read 18457 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: S/N 10 Shay
« Reply #135 on: May 09, 2022, 02:40:35 AM »
Popcorn is a poppin...   :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Hi Chris, it just dawned on me that popcorn kernels are really very tiny boilers without safety valves. :zap: I guess that it is good that popcorn is tiny and tasty  :noidea: other wise  :facepalm:

Cheers Dan
Great. Now the shop elves want safety goggles on before we make popcorn. Thanks.   :facepalm:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #136 on: May 09, 2022, 12:27:22 PM »
Oh oh, the safety genie is out of the bottle!  :Lol:
Off to my computer to design a .005" long edible safety valve for corn kernels. Could be the next big thing! Order now!  :Lol:
(sorry, only metric version with M0.05 x .008 threads will be available in the first run)  :zap: :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #137 on: May 09, 2022, 12:42:13 PM »
Oh oh, the safety genie is out of the bottle!  :Lol:
Off to my computer to design a .005" long edible safety valve for corn kernels. Could be the next big thing! Order now!  :Lol:
(sorry, only metric version with M0.05 x .008 threads will be available in the first run)  :zap: :Lol:
I'd like to order 10,000 of them....   :Lol:   Installation is going to be very tedious though...

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #138 on: May 09, 2022, 01:10:00 PM »
Hold the phone guys.....it really defeats the purpose of popping popcorn by adding a safety valve.

It is simple to keep the safety officer at his desk shifting papers. We just change the name to controlled demolition and the safety man is off the hook. (sorry Chris the elves will still need goggles to be in compliance with the new safety regulations.)

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #139 on: May 09, 2022, 01:13:19 PM »
The chewing of unpopped corn kernels might get a bit tedious too!  :Lol: (the micro safety valves would theoretically prevent the characteristic 'pop')

I hope the shop elves don't leak it to the media that popping corn is a series of hundreds of pressure vessel explosions right in a pan on your stove burner!  :Lol: :cheers:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #140 on: May 09, 2022, 01:19:18 PM »
Some clear thinking there Dan!  :Lol:

Now if we got the safety officer doing the paper shifting in compliance with a full bore ISO 9000 P (for popcorn) process, we'd probably never hear from him again, the paper mill would need to add a third shift to keep up, and he would likely be deliriously happy and would pay to go to work!  :cheers:

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #141 on: May 09, 2022, 01:34:57 PM »
Whoa there CNR6400, I have never seen a happy safety officer  :pinkelephant: the thought of a safety officer who is deliriously happy is a very scary thought. :noidea:

:popcorn: :cheers: :popcorn:
Dan
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 01:42:03 PM by Dan Rowe »
ShaylocoDan

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #142 on: May 09, 2022, 02:09:54 PM »
Whoa there CNR6400, I have never seen a happy safety officer  :pinkelephant: the thought of a safety officer who is deliriously happy is a very scary thought. :noidea:

:popcorn: :cheers: :popcorn:
Dan
Wrap the safety officer in bubble wrap, in a box of foam peanuts, stuffed in a closet fulll of mattresses. Well, the officer may not be happy, but we will!   :LittleDevil:

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #143 on: May 09, 2022, 10:42:37 PM »
Pin chucks can be very handy to well hold pins.  :ThumbsUp:

Here is a drill chuck with a #2 morse taper held in a vice in a vice. This makes it stick out very handy for the jeweler's saw to trim a bolt to length. I have added a spare nut to straighten any bur left by the saw blade.

Now here is the next step with a small four-jaw pin chuck. The head is grabbed by the chuck and the spare nut is at the end to stabilize the shank. A small fine file is used to bevel the end of the screw or pin.

As the photo says this is the Stephenson valve gear assemblies.

Most of the time I would use the book to assemble an engine  :happyreader: but in this case, the engine was designed to rotate like a Shay engine. It is not well known that the very early Shays had the pinion gears on the other side of the bull gears. This will make the truck run in reverse when compared to a modern Shay. So we have to reverse the Shay engine so the Johnston bar or reverse lever will work properly.

This is very  :Director: SIMPLE. I just have to remember to put the valve gear assemblies on the other way around. They are mirror assemblies so the forward one goes on the rear cylinder and vice versa.

Cheers Bob and Dan

« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 10:47:22 PM by Dan Rowe »
ShaylocoDan

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2023, 03:58:24 PM »
Hi Dan

I see that you have been posting again today - and that made me wonder about the status of this interesting model  :stickpoke:

Per          :cheers:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal