Author Topic: Rods verision of the Lombard  (Read 5898 times)

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
Re: Rods verision of the Lombard
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2018, 04:07:51 AM »
Ah, another who is willing to admit his weakness to the siren call of bigger, taller, wider, more power!! :mischief:

As if that was an unusual condition..... :lolb:

Pete@very weak
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline rspringer

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2019, 12:10:54 AM »
After a long absence, I have started doing a little bit of modeling.  Still too hot, plus I canít stand long, to be in the shop for more than a short time.  In the live stream train world there is a saying " build the tender first."  So I decided to build a sled for the Lombard.  This is where the cross buck is connected to the runners. 

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2019, 12:19:02 AM »
Hey rod, glad to see you are able to get back to the model!  I'll be up in Maine in two weeks driving theirs, will tell it that it has another little brother in the works.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline rspringer

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2019, 12:40:59 AM »
In the last year I have not just been sitting around.  Well not all of the time anyway.  I acquired an Atlas 6 inch lathe and a Taig lathe.  I bought a 4 jaw self-centering chuck for the Taig.  It drove me crazy.  Look at it wrong and it would be 15 thousand off and then it would be 5 thousand off.  Come to find out it was a Sherline chuck.  The spindles are the same size except Taig is a little longer and the chuck would not seat properly.  Once the problem was found a simple 1/8 collar fixed it right up.  Looking for a mini-mill to put in spare room.  Love to have machines in the house.  You can tell I am single. I can sit at the lathe and actually get something done.  I have been making Square nuts and bolts.  Boy do they take a lot of time to make.  The photo is a 1.25 inch 2-56 bolt started with 1/8 square stock.  Right hand cut tool and a inverted cutoff tool.  First time using an inverted tool on the back of the saddle.  Worked well.  Chris how did you train your elves?  Mine only know how to hide stuff in plain sight. 

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2019, 12:45:34 AM »
Training the shop elves is a tricky thing, you need to find thier favorite food (up here chocolate chip cookies) to bribe them with. Keep their beer locked up, or you'll find your socket wrenches threaded on the shop light cords...

I agree about a shop in the house and lathe/mill you can sit at, much easier for long shop sessions.