Author Topic: Chris's Lombard Log Hauler Complete  (Read 12675 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Chris's Lombard Log Hauler Complete
« on: October 12, 2017, 12:17:39 AM »
It's 11 days shy of one year since I started the Lombard build thread, but I think its time to call this one complete!!

To recap:
This is a model of a Lombard Log Hauler, which was the first commercially successul vehicle with a track drive, back in the early 1900s. They were used in the northern woods (mainly USA, some went to other countries) to haul logs on sleds out of the woods to the sawmills and rail terminals. They were steam powered, using a locomotive style boiler and two double acting engines, one on each side, just like a locomotive, but rather than drive wheels that had a track mechanism on each side and runners at the front (runners could be switched to wheels for moving when no snow on the ground). Here is a picture from the original patents of the engine and the track system:

There are several of these engines still running, and the Maine Forest And Logging Museum up in Bradley Maine restored theirs just a few years ago, and they have put up a TON of pictures, videos, and drawings on their website that is an absolute treasure trove of information, much more than is available for lots of old engines. They did a complete teardown and restoration of their engine, which is now in beautiful running order.
http://www.maineforestandloggingmuseum.org/lombards-in-bradley
If you go through thier site, you can see all the steps they took, with photo and video documentation along the way. A lot of the work involved students from the University of Maine, which also has lots of information. They have a lot of history of these engines, including vintage photos, and even the parts catalog from the manufacturer!
I went up to the museum to take detail photos and lots of measurements of their hauler, and used them to design my model in Autocad's Fusion360 3D CAD system, which was a new thing for me. The 3D model was used to generate all the plans used in building the model.

So, here is the finished product sitting out in my driveway:

and also it sitting with its big brother at the museum up in Maine:

The folks at the museum were awesome to deal with, got LOTS of information and photos from them, and on the visits they kindly allowed me the privilege of driving the real one around the grounds quite a few times - really a thrill!

And, of course, we need a video of the model in action:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ8mqxKmJJg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ8mqxKmJJg</a>

Thanks very much to all of you on this forum as well for all your help, tips, encouragement, and of course jokes!!
 :cheers:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 07:17:39 PM by crueby »

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
Re: Chris's Lombard Log Hauler Complete
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 03:53:34 AM »
Well, it's been quite a trip Chris. An amazing one and I hate to see it end. But you've demonstrated abilities far exceeding many of us and shown us what can be done if one is dedicated.

Oh, and thanks for the Mint Chip cookie recipe!!

Eagerly awaiting your next project while I savor the Lombard,

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 05:36:36 AM »
Just amazing, Chris!  A beautiful model, well executed, and wonderfully documented.
Congratulations!  And thank you for bringing us along!
Kim

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 06:00:00 AM »
An amazing and very detailed build log with a beautiful model as a final result. 

Vince

Online sco

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 07:50:42 AM »
It's been really enjoyable to follow your build Chris, but where are the logs? :-)

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 11:19:48 AM »
It's been really enjoyable to follow your build Chris, but where are the logs? :-)

:lolb:

But seriously - thank you for another wonderful project Chris  :cheers:

Best wishes

Per

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 11:43:47 AM »
Its been a great ride Chris. Thanks for taking us along for it!!

Bill

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 12:14:57 PM »
Can't wait for the next series of "As The Lathe Turns".

I highly suspect that you will never lose that smile you had on your face as you steered the real thing. What a thrill and an honor to be allowed to do that.

Thank You for the wonderful entertainment along the way.

Cheers

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 01:46:39 PM »

Followed this from the beginning. A very impressive build indeed. I learned a lot in how you fabricated things, thanks.   :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant:

Ron

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 01:47:31 PM »
I can't say it enough.

Well done in every aspect of the project.

I followed all of it  and my main memory is watching the tracks being made and thinking "This will take years." Once past that, it seemed to come together  fairly well.

Thanks for all of the posts.

--ShopShoe

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 02:53:03 PM »
Thanks everyone! Been a great ride with great company!

Just like a boat, a large model like this is never really 'done', always little tweaks and additional bits get added over time, like carved figures for the steersman and engineer, stack of wood in the woodbox, a log sled behind it maybe...

Been doing some research and drawing on the steam shovel, will be starting a thread on that soon...

Should be at Cabin Fever with the models this year, hope to see a bunch of you there!

:cheers:

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 09:38:37 PM »
It's been great fun riding along on this project Chris.  :)  Not only the building process, but your design work as well.

I'm looking forward to the start of your steam shovel project.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline jschoenly

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 03:55:03 PM »
Fantastic!  Hope to see it in January!  :)
Jared
                                 Cabin Fever Expo
--- Model Engineering and Home Shop Hobbies in all Forms! ---

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 04:01:17 PM »
Fantastic!  Hope to see it in January!  :)
Planning on being at Cabin Fever - bringing the Lombard, the Shay, the Corliss Twin and the Twin Beam engines. Hope the tables are strong!  :Lol:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 05:02:19 PM »
Dog, Dog, Dog, what can I️ say man that was an inspirational built Chris. A great achievement and excellent craftsmanship. From start to finish just love seeing it take shape. So I️ guess your head is all swollen up now that you finished and I️ know I️ would be. Thanks for taking us along building it..... :praise2:

:drinking-41:
Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal