Author Topic: New Member for South Africa  (Read 2045 times)

Offline faavs730222

New Member for South Africa
« on: November 02, 2017, 04:48:14 PM »
Hi, my name is Anton. I live in a small town in the center part of South Africa. I studied Mechanical Engineering but it was only until last year that I were able to buy a lathe and a milling machine (I am 44 now). I bought the machines to help me with my other hobby - restoring old Land Rovers. I am not a trained machinist, my only experience on machine tools were during my practical year for my Engineering Diploma. The model making came later, when I got one of Harold Hall's books on the lathe. I started with simple projects to hone my skills again. I think all mechanical mined people have a love for steam engines. I remember as a child how I admired the model steam engines at the hobby store at the coast.

I also subscribed to a lot of YouTube Channels, and there my learning continued, I am very grateful for people like Mr. Lyle Peterson, (Mr. Pete222) to take the time to make those videos. My first steam engine I based on one of his videos, but I design it myself, it was as simple single acting Wobbler, and I am very proud to say, that it ran first time. My second engine was a horizontal double acting oscillating steam engine, also of my own design. (I say design but it is really only my own measurements). Mr Pete started to build a Stuart Progress from castings, and I knew, that I MUST build a Stuart Engine, but I really don't have the skill yet required to do it properly.
I must say I am quite intimidated by the quality of the craftsmanship that I see on this forum. I would ask you to forgive me because I ask a lot of questions, and I like to know why a thing must be done in a certain way.

P.S. I also would like to start casting may own casings. I completed my Furnace and would like to start melting Aluminum this weekend.

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
Re: New Member for South Africa
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 04:53:42 PM »
Hi Anton and welcome to the group.  I am sure you will enjoy it here.  Lots of helpful members.

Vince

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 06:11:15 PM »
Welcome to MEM Anton!!  :hi:  This is a patient group here but with lots of varied experiences as well. Don't be afraid to ask questions and remember we all started where you are now!!

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 07:13:31 PM »
Hi Anton,
Welcome to the forum!  This is indeed a great place to hang out, learn, and share stuff with other like minded people.
Kim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 07:43:48 PM »
Hi Anton welcome to MEM.

Dave

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 02:44:01 PM »
Hi Anton, welcome from me too....
Although now in the UK, I used to live in SA back in the 80's....liven in Germiston nr Jo'berg...
Eccentric millionaire sponsored by 'Er indoors

Offline faavs730222

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 10:38:21 AM »
Although now in the UK, I used to live in SA back in the 80's....liven in Germiston nr Jo'berg...
Hi John, I lived for a year in Kempton Park, at the Altas Training Center, it is there I did my year practical training.

Thank you for all the replies, you make me feel at home.

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 07:41:52 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline elciego

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 02:13:51 PM »
Hi Anton, welcome from an ex South African. Lived in Kempton Park for four years before moving to Spain.  If you are interested one of my brothers is in Pretoria and has his own foundry setup.

Cheeers.
Abraham

Offline Noitoen

• Setúbal - Portugal
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 06:14:30 PM »
Hi John, I lived for a year in Kempton Park, at the Altas Training Center, it is there I did my year practical training.

Thank you for all the replies, you make me feel at home.

Hi Anton,

I too lived in South Africa from 1974 to 1981. Went to John Orr Tech in Auckland Park where I started machining among other skils.

Welcome to the forum.

Helder

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal