Author Topic: Dangerous Cargo for the U.K.  (Read 5497 times)

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
Dangerous Cargo for the U.K.
« on: September 26, 2012, 09:44:33 PM »
A month or so back, I ordered a Knurling Tool kit from Hemingway Kits. I was about to contact them to let them know that the parcel must be lost as orders from Arc Eurotrade sem to show up in the USA in a few days.

This morning, a parcel is on the front porch with this label.

The contents are here.

Not being that familiar with the U.K. definition of goods which are dangerous to ship by air, please let me know which of these pieces of steel is the offending bit so that I can isolate it and perhaps store it out of the shop. Is a Hazmat Suit necessary?

Best
Stan
Best,
Stan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Dangerous Cargo for the U.K.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 10:19:01 PM »
I betting its the spring...guess they thought it might escape and go bouncing around or something. Then again it could do that in the back of a big brown truck too :)

Would be funny if not for the fact you were waiting on it for so long and thought it lost.  Maybe that label is supposed to explain away a cheaper shipping method. The Hazmat suit might get the neighbors talking though...just what is Stan doing out in that shop anyway...lol

Thanks for sharing, sorry for your delay in getting it but i needed a smile this afternoon and this provided it!

Bill

Arbalest

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 10:20:38 PM »
There seem to be some strange folks in charge at Royal Mail at the moment ...
So I'm not really that surprised at your tale.  ;) I expect someone shook the box and was alarmed that it contained metal "things".

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 01:22:36 AM »
The rattle would explain it if each but were not individually wrapped in bubble pack.
Someone at Madmodder suggested it was because the steel was not "aircraft grade" :D
Stan
Best,
Stan

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 01:47:58 AM »
Either that or they X rayed it and couldn't figuire it out......

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 07:30:17 AM »
If you paid for air freight and it arrived surface I would have thought that you should get a refund on some of the postage costs.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline xatxtal

• South Devon, UK
    • xtal
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 08:43:44 AM »
Xray showed what appeared to be a  canister.
I had the same experience with a brass coffee grinder from India.
Trev
:old:

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 10:14:57 AM »
When my mum died, dad kept her ashes in an urn on top of the TV so that they could be buried together. In his last months he came down from Tweed Heads to live with us.

I was given the job of selling up their home and effects and bringing to Adelaide whatever he wanted from their home. I got a fairly short list. As I was walking out the door to go to the airport, from the bedroom came a strong and commanding voice, "Whatever you do........don't forget to bring back your mother!!"

Job done and mum safely tucked in her urn in my briefcase I arrived at Coolangatta airport  for the trip home. I passed through security and a rather overbearing lady security guard marched up and said, "IS THAT YOUR BRIEFCASE?" "Yes," I replied. "Come over here, open it, we cannot identify a suspicious package inside. I opened the case, "Don't touch anything, we will inspect it!" "Aha what's this?".........."It's my mum, would you like to see her remains?" I offered. Ms overbearing rapidly placed the urn on the counter, (at least she had the good grace to blush), and I went on my way thinking mum would have really enjoyed that little encounter.

Thank goodness I had her with me or who knows where she would have ended up.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline ketan swali

• Leicester, United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 12:01:27 PM »
A month or so back, I ordered a Knurling Tool kit from Hemingway Kits. I was about to contact them to let them know that the parcel must be lost as orders from Arc Eurotrade sem to show up in the USA in a few days.

Stan

Stan,

There are indeed some funny people working at Royal Mail at present. We had a stub milling arbor returned to us with the same sticker as yours. It was destined for South Africa.!. Re-sent it thinking that it might be something to do with the packaging or someone having a bad day on the x-ray machines. This time it is stuck somewhere in the U.K. after more then a month :facepalm:...I have refunded the customer, told him the story, and I am awaiting its return from Royal Mail. May be they have sent it off by sea :wallbang:
Ketan at ARC.

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 12:29:51 PM »
Perhaps Royal Mail is trying to justify the exorbitant charges by adding stickers? With all the extra handling, you are supposedly getting more value for your money  ::)

Gerrit, who is hoping this doesn't happen to his Oerlikon drawings just shipped by John Lambert.
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 03:29:37 PM »
Was the item posted during the London Olympic Games?  There where a lot of restrictions during that period on what could be sent by Royal Mail.

Or else if this happened after the Olympics then Royal Mail forgot to lift the restrictions.

Vince

Offline ketan swali

• Leicester, United Kingdom
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 11:20:01 AM »
Was the item posted during the London Olympic Games?  There where a lot of restrictions during that period on what could be sent by Royal Mail.

Or else if this happened after the Olympics then Royal Mail forgot to lift the restrictions.

Vince

Vince,

It takes place at random, especially since they started working with GLS.. ARC is supposed to be on their 'safe' list during the Olympics. Mind you, it was all stupidness with reference to carriage during the Olpymics, - jobs for the big courier boys with the best connections I guess.
Ketan at ARC.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal