Author Topic: Hoglet flywheel crankshaft assembly  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Trevorc

Hoglet flywheel crankshaft assembly
« on: October 04, 2017, 04:14:34 PM »
Hello once again. Based upon past experience i am sure there is somebody who can help me with the problem i am facing with assembling the flywheel/crankshaft. I have successfuly made both halves of the flywheel assemblies consisting of steel inner and bronze outter. All holes are reamed to size and square with axis and the halves run true on a madrel. The problem that i am facing is getting a mechanically strong joint between the crankshaft ends , the crank pin, with the steel centre. The design seems to rely upon the screw deflecting tne steel inner thus gripping the ends and pin. I feel the design is mechanically flawed. The srew just cannot exert enough force to get sufficient deflection to effect a mechanically secure joint. Have others found this probem, if so what was your solution?
I am considering using some sort of key betwen the crank ends and the bore in the steel centre. Perhaps not a square key but a small set screw tapped into the joint line. I have also considered using some kind of super glue or Loctite product.
Any suggestions would be most welcomed.
Regards
Trevorc

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Hoglet flywheel crankshaft assembly
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 04:19:25 PM »
Two ways I know of - a keyway and a taper lock. There have been several threads here that have used taper locks to fix flywheels to crankshafts successfully, I showed it in my Corliss twin build. A tapered key is also very secure, no chance of the shaft spinning in the hole with it.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 05:26:12 PM »
Trevor, are you asking about connecting the various components of the crankshaft to each other, or affixing the flywheel to the completed crankshaft?

Bill

Offline crankshafter

• Molde, Norway
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 09:34:50 PM »
Hello once again. Based upon past experience i am sure there is somebody who can help me with the problem i am facing with assembling the flywheel/crankshaft. I have successfuly made both halves of the flywheel assemblies consisting of steel inner and bronze outter. All holes are reamed to size and square with axis and the halves run true on a madrel. The problem that i am facing is getting a mechanically strong joint between the crankshaft ends , the crank pin, with the steel centre. The design seems to rely upon the screw deflecting tne steel inner thus gripping the ends and pin. I feel the design is mechanically flawed. The srew just cannot exert enough force to get sufficient deflection to effect a mechanically secure joint. Have others found this probem, if so what was your solution?
I am considering using some sort of key betwen the crank ends and the bore in the steel centre. Perhaps not a square key but a small set screw tapped into the joint line. I have also considered using some kind of super glue or Loctite product.
Any suggestions would be most welcomed.
Regards
Trevorc
Trevorc
I used a power- hacksaw (sloooow speed) and made some slits from the shaft-bore( both main and crank) to get some more deflection when tigthen up the bolt. Works grate :whoohoo:
CS
"I cut it twice, and it's still to short"!!??">#%

Offline Trevorc

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 08:40:19 PM »
Hello Bill. The Hoglet flywheel comprises two discs ,with steel centre and bronze ring, and two seperate crankshaft halves that fir into the steel centre. The crank pin also fits into centre. The only means of securing it is to try and compress the steel centre around the shaft halves. In my experience there isnt sufficient flex to achieve a secure mechanical fixing.
Regarfs

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal