Author Topic: Which slitting saw for a small hobby bench mill ?  (Read 5916 times)

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
Which slitting saw for a small hobby bench mill ?
« on: October 02, 2017, 09:54:53 PM »
Hi,

I'm contemplating buying a slitting saw set up to use on my small hobby mill (a Chester 20v) but having never used one I'm wonder what type and size to go for to carry out small general hobby work.

I realise it's difficult so say without knowing exactly what I want to cut but can anyone offer a few guidelines of what to look for or what to avoid?

At the moment I'm looking at something like these but not sure what sort of size to aim for :-

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Cutting-Tools/Slitting-Saws-and-Arbors/MT2-Stub-Milling-Arbor-16mm

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Cutting-Tools/Slitting-Saws-and-Arbors/HSS-Fine-Tooth-Slitting-Saws-63mm

Does a 16mm arbor with a set of 7 63 mm discs sound like a reasonable starter set up ?

Many thanks

Offline Chipswitheverything

Re: Which slitting saw for a small hobby bench mill ?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 10:11:53 PM »
Hi G-M,  just looked at the references you included.  Wouldn't think you could go far wrong with the 16mm., 63mm set up if you fancy that.  Has the advantage that the peripheral speed won't be too high if your mill has a rather fast bottom speed.  But the max. cutting depth will be a bit limited, 15 - 16mm possibly, as against using a larger saw dia.   All depends on your likely requirement, but I'm sure it would accommodate most jobs. I find that sploshing plenty of soluble oil type coolant on the sawing job ( steel ) helps it along...    Dave

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 10:18:33 PM »
Thanks Dave,

At the moment I don't think I'll be needing to cut any deeper than 15mm, I've found the last few months there have been a few occasions where a slitting saw would have been useful so I think it's time I bought a basic set up.

I was wanting to make a longer handle for a boiler manual feed pump I have and slitting saw would help.

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 10:20:15 PM »
Slitting saws come in two basic varieties, fine tooth and coarse tooth. The fine tooth saws are really only suitable for shallow cuts like slotting screw heads. If you try and take a decent depth of cut the gullets get jammed with swarf and bang goes the cutter. If you need to cut deep then get coarse tooth saws.

Don't worry if the saw doesn't cut evenly on all teeth, they never do, however good the setup.

Andrew

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 10:47:01 PM »
Peter

Don't go buying a slitting saw arbour, they only take a little while to make one yourself.
I tried one of those you have been looking at and was very disappointed with it, the trouble is the amount of room the locking nut and washer takes up in front of the saw seriously restricts how close you can get to the vice, you will find you are struggling to hold things for slitting.

I overcame that problem by making "back to front" arbours where the saw is right at the end almost, see this earlier thread on the subject.
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,6313.msg128844.html#msg128844

You can make the the end to suit whatever holding method you want in the machine, but for simplicity just make a straight shank and hold it in a collet.
I will attach some drawings below to give you an idea what I did for my little Boley jig borer, but you can adjust your dimensions to suit.

Phil

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 10:55:12 PM »
Thanks guys that's given me some things to think about  :)

I like your idea Phil but think I'd have to resort to holding a parallel shank in the ER collet chuck as I don't want to start cutting a Morse taper

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 12:52:13 AM »
Making a straight shank saw arbor is just fine.   I have a few that are 3/8 shank so I can put them in either the Clausing, or the Aciera.

The Clausing is ER25 while the Aciera is W12.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 01:49:05 AM »
A small, poor, shop doesn't need a bunch of different types of tool shank to mess with. Keep everything with a straight shank as much as you can so the tools will fit as many places as possible.

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 08:33:31 AM »
Hi Phil, those drawings would be much nicer in metric measurements, nice round numbers  :Lol:

Peter: Keep your eyes open at the shows I often find boxes of quality slitting saws from the likes of the second hand tool dealers for 50p each. I then if necessary I make an arbour to fit  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 10:24:19 AM »
I had an exchange of e-mails with Ketan at ARC about slitting saws. He was going to send me the two items you link to as part of the batch of stuff to use for the magazine articles. I turned them down as the tooth count is all the same and got him to send the 22mm bore set which has different tooth counts so more suited to cutting things like big ends and bearing housings.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Cutting-Tools/Slitting-Saws-and-Arbors/HSS-Fine-Tooth-Slitting-Saws-80mm

I also prefer a screw arbor for slitting saws. You generally have the item to be cut held in the vice so will need to have it sticking up quite a long way if you are going to avoid the nutted type hitting the vice jaws, save the nutted ones for gear cutting.

https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=arbor&PN=Engineering_Menu_Slitting_Saw_Holders___Stub_Arbors_217%2ehtml#a202800

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 12:05:41 PM »
Thanks everyone, I hadn't thought much about the arbor restricting the cut but I now have a better idea what to look for or make  :)

Hi Phil, those drawings would be much nicer in metric measurements, nice round numbers  :Lol:

Jo

Jo, poor old Phil still works with 1/64 of 252/5 mm  :pinkelephant:

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 12:24:59 PM »
If you go for the MT arbor remember to always use a draw bar to stop the arbor falling loose and spinning in the spindle. A parallel shank arbor is held securely and does not have this problem

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 01:07:05 PM »

Peter: Keep your eyes open at the shows I often find boxes of quality slitting saws from the likes of the second hand tool dealers for 50p each. I then if necessary I make an arbour to fit  ;)

Jo

Jo

They are in metric dimensions, its just a really tiny slitting saw arbour   :stickpoke:

Phil

simplyloco

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 03:42:36 PM »
There are a lot of teeth on the average slitting saw, meaning lots are in contact with the work and they will rub - and get blunt- unless the feed is fairly quick at the usual overspeed ME machine condition!
It takes courage to do this... :mischief:
John
PS. I use 3/8" home made arbors as well.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 04:21:58 PM »
If you go for the MT arbor remember to always use a draw bar to stop the arbor falling loose and spinning in the spindle. A parallel shank arbor is held securely and does not have this problem

Mike

But you still need to remember to use a drawbar to make sure whatever you hold the plain shank with does not come loose :LittleDevil:

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 02:08:53 AM »
I made my saw arbor 5/8" diameter on the shank, and thraded the end twenty tpi to fit in my milling chuck.
Ian S C

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 01:05:46 PM »
Just a bit of nonsense related to the topic.   When I was a young model engineer and a student, back in 'seventy something, I bought my then one and only slitting saw , 3" dia, 1/32" thick, the one in the photo with the red tag.  It cost a lot, as everything then seemed to, but as a penurious student I chose well, the teeth are well gulleted, and the saw has been useful.   Then later on, when I bought one of my s/h milling machines, in the tray, for free, was a box with a few more in it...!!   ( There were more, I gave some away...)   Dave

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2017, 01:31:30 PM »
Slltting saws, or slotting saws? There is a difference is there not? Does the difference relate to the depth, width, side relief, and speed of the cut, and how they are held in the holder?
Mosey

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2017, 02:37:49 PM »
You don't have to be limited to a single slitting saw. I mounted seven 35 thou slitting saws with 26 thou spacer washers onto an arbor when I cut the cylinder head fins for my Bristol Mercury radial engines. I cut the circular fins on the cylinder heads with a vertical mill and rotary table, the top of the cylinder head were done with a horizontal spindle in the machine vice.

It looks scary, but it is easily done. The best advice is to be confident and plunge to full depth then rotate or feed steadily. That way, you are cutting into solid metal and leaving the delicate fins behind you. My deepest cut with five saws was 3/4" (19mm) on the centre line of the cylinder head.

Clearing the chips is essential, so the wider the tooth spacing (fewer teeth) the better. You will need a deluge of coolant to wash away the chips, a dribble of coolant just makes grinding paste.

Hope this helps

Mike
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 02:58:57 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline DTR

• UK
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2017, 03:43:18 PM »
That's brilliant, gang milling in the extreme!
Dave

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 01:07:03 PM »
Hugely impressive, Mike, and without doubt a brave piece of machining, very much so when one considers how much previous work has gone into the components...!   Did you do some trial runs before "taking the plunge"?   Presumably you bought all the saws new as a batch together?  - mine all seem to be slightly different nominal diameters.    Dave

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 05:01:56 PM »
May thanks to everyone who replied and showed some of their impressive work  :)

Just one more question, I notice some set ups have keyways and others don't, does it make much difference for light hobby work ? Are the saws prone to digging in,  if so presumably a non keyed arrangement would be preferable ?

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2017, 05:11:12 PM »
Don't use a key  :ShakeHead:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2017, 07:38:43 PM »
Just one more question, I notice some set ups have keyways and others don't, does it make much difference for light hobby work ? Are the saws prone to digging in,  if so presumably a non keyed arrangement would be preferable ?

There are those who do, and those who don't. If the saw has a keyway I use it. If you get the feeds and speeds right the saw isn't going to dig in.

Andrew

simplyloco

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2017, 08:24:23 AM »
Don't use a key  :ShakeHead:

Jo

I agree. I use home made 'dustbin lid' washers as a friction drive.
John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal