Author Topic: 1/2 size Lauson TLC349  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
1/2 size Lauson TLC349
« on: October 02, 2017, 08:42:59 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5OQs3TITp8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5OQs3TITp8</a>

Another Lauson I built after the RSC Model.  This is the slightly larger Lauson TLC349.  This model is built in ½ size so it has a bore and stroke of 1 1/8th  x 1 1/8th inches. 
The Lauson TLC, is another popular engine built by Lauson.  It also was built from 1939 through till after WWII.  I purchased a full size TLC349 shortly before building this model; therefore, during its renovation I had ample opportunity to make careful measurements of the full size.  That allowed me to build this model as a very accurate representation of the full size.

The model is built from aluminum bar stock, there were no castings used in the creation of this model.  I have around 700 hours invested in this model. 
The model uses ball bearing main bearings (because the full size uses ball bearings and I was trying to closely reproduce the full size).  The model incorporates a one piece crankshaft, a cast iron cylinder liner and cast iron valve seats and guides, a functioning flyweight governor on the crankshaft (as the original), and a functioning float carburetor.  The ignition is battery-coil, though the points are under the flywheel as the original. 

This engine, being built after the RSC model allowed me to avoid some of the pitfalls I encountered in the construction of this earlier RSC.  Its construction duplicates the construction of the RSC in many aspects.

I’ve included a few of the more interesting pictures I took during the build process.

1- fabricating the block
2- fabricating the block
3- completed block
4- completed rings
5- valve components
6- crankshaft with flyweight governor
7- float carburetor and components
8- blower housing fabrication
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal