Author Topic: Otto Langen internal combustion atmospheric engine  (Read 6099 times)

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
Otto Langen internal combustion atmospheric engine
« on: October 02, 2017, 04:10:51 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqK655fZZ7o" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqK655fZZ7o</a>

I built this Otto-Langen replica around four years ago, just as I was retiring.  I had little information, regarding the originals, to use in its construction.  I designed and built it from a line drawing and some youtube videos.  The column and base are of cast iron constriction and were machined.  There are no castings in this model except for the small gate valve used to control the exhaust which was purchased.

A challenge in building this model was boring and honing the column for a good fit with the piston.  Since this engine runs on atmospheric pressure any amount of leakage greatly diminishes the power produced.  Another challenge was designing and constructing the sprag clutch.  This clutch must free-wheel with minimum resistance so the drive shaft can coast between firing cycles, yet grab instantly and positively in the reverse direction.  Any slippage will, again, diminish the ability of this engine to run on atmospheric pressure.  The ratchet and pawl on the idler shaft must engage and disengage cleanly. and in that respect, they have undergone several revisions since this video was taken.

While the original full size engine uses open flame ignition, I chose spark ignition for this model.  I don’t believe flame ignition could be used at scale in an engine this size.

I performed all the fabrication on this engine, including cutting the gears and rack.   It took many months of trial and error to coax the model to fire and then many more for it to run dependably; acetylene was finally chosen as the fuel of choice.

I take this engine to the engine shows here in North Carolina I attend.  It is a real attention grabber since most of the spectators have never seen this type engine before.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Otto Langen internal combustion atmospheric engine
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 05:02:08 PM »
That runs well :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 07:04:30 PM »
Excellent  :praise2:  :praise2: You should be proud of that  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 07:35:43 PM »
That's a very good effort from scratch.

I'm doing a 1/4 scale too, it was just going to be an enlarged version of the plans you mention in the other thread but I will modified just about every part to more closely match the first engine. Having looked through the 1000plus photos of Wayne Grenning's full size replica I just could not bring myself to do the Lenaz design.

J

Offline fidlstyks

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 03:38:43 AM »
Since you retired I bet they really miss your talents now. I am beginning to think you were a well kept secret. Did you show at Ashville ? I use to go there and met some modelers. This year they are having their show during Coolsprings. So going to miss it.
   You should bring these models to Coolsprings in another week, and to the scale model show At the Pecision Museum the next weekend (28th) in Vermont.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 03:44:41 AM by fidlstyks »

Offline Nick_G

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 06:47:49 AM »
A wonderful creation you have made there.  :ThumbsUp: :)

Nick

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 01:01:35 AM »
Fidlstyks
Don't know of a show on Asheville?

I've been meaning to get to coolsprings for a while, but not this year.  Vermont is waaaaaaay to far.

I'm thinking of exhibiting at cabin fever this January in Lebanon,Pa.

Thanks to everyone and your kind words.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline fidlstyks

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 07:57:07 PM »
The Ashville show is actually at Arden. It is directly across the street from the South end of the airport. There are two show grounds close to each other, it is the South one. People will be there in full swing, 2 weeks from today. Take some money as there is a good flea market.
  It's called the WNC Fall Harvest Days at Arden NC.
Banger Pa also has a show the about the ? 19-21. I think a Sat-Sun show.
   There are some model builders at Arden show.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 08:54:42 PM by fidlstyks »

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 04:48:28 AM »
Ah yes, the Arden show.  I attended many years ago, haven't been back for years.

I remember it was raining cats and dogs the year we went and they were having a fabric fair in one of the nearby buildings.  The wife and I spent some time at the fabric fair, out of the rain.  The wife still brags about the home made sweater she bought at the engine show. :Lol:
Craig

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 10:14:59 PM »
This is too funny not to share. 

Last weekend my friend (Gordon Miner) and I attended the John Blue Cotton Festival with our model engines exhibits.  My Otto-Langen model was front and center of my exhibit and it ran pretty much the whole day with only occasional stops to check to see that no potential problems were brewing.  With all those hours of running I met some interesting people who had some interesting comments.  I’ll share one of them with you.

This guy walks up and says “That’s the funniest pump I’ve ever seen”.

I politely informed him that it wasn’t a pump at all but rather it was a model of the first successful internal combustion engine, the full size built by two German inventors in the 1860’s.  As he (I thought) intently listened, shaking his head (I thought) to indicating that he grasp what I was saying I continued to give him details regarding the original full size engine as well as details regarding the model he was viewing. (With 24 years at an educational institution I guess I’m still looking for that “teachable moment”).  When I finished my explanation he thanked me.

Walking away and shaking his head I heard him mumble, “Funniest pump I ever saw”.
Craig

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 10:19:43 PM »
This is too funny not to share. 

Last weekend my friend (Gordon Miner) and I attended the John Blue Cotton Festival with our model engines exhibits.  My Otto-Langen model was front and center of my exhibit and it ran pretty much the whole day with only occasional stops to check to see that no potential problems were brewing.  With all those hours of running I met some interesting people who had some interesting comments.  I’ll share one of them with you.

This guy walks up and says “That’s the funniest pump I’ve ever seen”.

I politely informed him that it wasn’t a pump at all but rather it was a model of the first successful internal combustion engine, the full size built by two German inventors in the 1860’s.  As he (I thought) intently listened, shaking his head (I thought) to indicating that he grasp what I was saying I continued to give him details regarding the original full size engine as well as details regarding the model he was viewing. (With 24 years at an educational institution I guess I’m still looking for that “teachable moment”).  When I finished my explanation he thanked me.

Walking away and shaking his head I heard him mumble, “Funniest pump I ever saw”.

:ROFL:

Maybe hook it to a REAL pump, and hope he comes back - tell him its a perpetual-motion-pumping machine!!

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 11:57:48 PM »
That is a fantastic model Craig.  If you are ever in the neighborhood of Kinzers, PA I could show you our Otto Langen at the Rough & Tumble Museum.

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 01:28:01 AM »
Craig, we had our big show this past weekend in NC, but closer to Charlotte. Unfortunately I was the only modeler there, but I still love going. So many of the questions/comments are priceless. I guess we take for granted what we do as a hobby, but the occasional kid that shows a real interest far outweighs the naive questions if the adults.

Bill

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 03:03:42 AM »
Bill
You're absolutely right.  I enjoy exhibiting the otto langen because it's an engine that people rarely see.

Phil
I was at Kinzers this summer to help celebrate the 150 ansversary of their otto langen.  They put my model in the Wilock building with the full size.  In the photo: Wayne Grenning's full size replica and the Crosley built engine on loan from the Henry Ford Foundation.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 03:44:28 AM by Craig deshong »
Craig

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 02:48:56 PM »
Craig,
You're way ahead of me.  I missed the Reunion show for the first time in many years.  Hopefully I will get to see you at a Cabin Fever show

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal