Author Topic: Midlands Show 2017  (Read 11397 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Midlands Show 2017
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2017, 05:21:09 PM »
Ah, can see something is going on there but the GA is a bit small to see exactly whats needed.

3 decimal points - no problem do it all the time with imperial :lolb:

Online Twizseven

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2017, 09:39:39 PM »
I cannot believe that anything is beyond Jo's capabilities.  It would cerytainly be well well well beyond mine.    :(   All that high class Swiss equipment. etc.  :stir:

Colin

Offline dieselpilot

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2017, 03:03:49 PM »
The odd combined connecting rod/piston and getting the accurate internal securing ring mounts :paranoia: The three decimal places metric machining tolerances on some parts are a bit :o

Jo

Did you get a full set of prints for this engine?

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2017, 04:11:25 PM »
Did you get a full set of prints for this engine?

I have 20 pages of the drawings. I have not yet been allowed to get close enough to check each of the parts against the drawings  :-\

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2017, 04:31:27 PM »
When I was working at my place of employment, I very often received from students or researchers, impressive CAD metric drawings toleranced to three or even four - sometimes more -  places of decimals.     Usually they were for making a wooden loudspeaker cabinet, or an angle iron bracket for hanging something from.....  So, three places of metric decimals doesn't absolutely always mean what it says...   ( I just made them to the nearest mm., and never heard a word of complaint...! )
   But I don't at all believe that you couldn't make these engine bits, Jo....     Dave

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2017, 04:50:04 PM »
The Bugl 2.5 Team Racer is a very famous international model aircraft racing engine, to get the performance out of it it was built to very exacting standards: Paul Bugl when he built them would have each part ground to dimension, reject parts were very common  ::). Making the engine run is one thing, making it to the original racing standard  :paranoia:

I have just had a quick peek at the drawings. They seem to be marked up MK2 drawings  :thinking:

Jo

Offline dieselpilot

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2017, 01:53:29 AM »
You can certainly believe that a 2.5CC team race engine needs fits in the microns range to be competitive. Only a few components are critical. Yes, the Bugl is the holy grail of model diesel engine collectors. I'd love to have one, but that's above my addiction spending account. But, prints would suffice if I could get them.

simplyloco

« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2017, 11:29:20 AM »
When I was working at my place of employment, I very often received from students or researchers, impressive CAD metric drawings toleranced to three or even four - sometimes more -  places of decimals.     Usually they were for making a wooden loudspeaker cabinet, or an angle iron bracket for hanging something from.....  So, three places of metric decimals doesn't absolutely always mean what it says...   ( I just made them to the nearest mm., and never heard a word of complaint...! )
   But I don't at all believe that you couldn't make these engine bits, Jo....     Dave

I encountered similar in my workshop: the submissions coincided with the introduction of electronic calculators... :old:

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2017, 11:40:01 AM »
I suppose it's a question of whether you need to build it to such tight specs, a high performance racing engine would need to be built that way and possibly need  a new piston/liner after each run. However as this will just get run on the bench occasionally (provided you can find a willing finger) you could build it as any other engine. maybe aim to build it to the specs given but if you missed them then the part could still be used rather than scrapped.

Offline dieselpilot

« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2017, 03:52:32 PM »
maybe aim to build it to the specs given but if you missed them then the part could still be used rather than scrapped.

That's the difference between building for fun and production.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2017, 04:28:07 PM »
That's the difference between building for fun and production.

The Bugl 2.5 is a international class racing engine, so it requires a little better than a production standard ::). It would seem a shame not to at least try to make it to a very high standard. I do have a suitable watch maker's milling machine and Mr Silky is always good for two decimal places (metric) But I sold my tool post grinder before I brought him :facepalm:

I was hoping to get Surus to take the castings with us into work on Monday as one of my work Colleagues (Allen Smithee on MEM) is a retired international pylon racer... but it looks like it will have to wait as Pete is on holiday up north for a while and I know he is enjoying every minute of it  :lolb:

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal