Author Topic: Midlands Show 2017  (Read 11398 times)

Offline Trevorc

Re: Midlands Show 2017- ANZANI aero engine info requested.
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2017, 11:48:13 AM »
I visited on Thursday also, many less models on display but thankfully plenty of traders. Completed my shopping list!!
I was very interested in seeing the 3 cylinder radial Anzani aero engine type Y on display on one of the Club stands. Unfortunately i could not find a Club steward to ask questions.
Where did the builder get his drawings and castings from? Are the drawings available? Perhaps the builder made his own castings. Any info would be appreciated.
Regards
Trevorc

Offline mikemill

Re: Midlands Show 2017
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2017, 11:59:27 AM »
Art

Regarding your query on the V8 It is an unfinished project by Prof H Chaddock now sadly deceased, It is a 1/12 scale BRM OHC V8 Formula 1 engine of the 60’s era  see here http://www.modelenginenews.org/meng/quorn/dhc.html.

He was also a member of The Society of Model and Experimental Engineers https://www.sm-ee.co.uk/ a group of highly regarded professional engineers who like to build models.

Mike

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Midlands Show 2017- ANZANI aero engine info requested.
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2017, 12:38:11 PM »
I was very interested in seeing the 3 cylinder radial Anzani aero engine type Y on display on one of the Club stands. Unfortunately i could not find a Club steward to ask questions.
Where did the builder get his drawings and castings from? Are the drawings available? Perhaps the builder made his own castings. Any info would be appreciated.

The Y type Anzani was made to Les Chenery's drawings as published in Model engineer using the castings from Mike Cole.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Trevorc

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2017, 01:36:17 PM »
Hello Jo, thanks for response. Do you have the date when drawings were published in ME?
Thank you
Trevorc

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2017, 02:05:16 PM »
The first part is in ME on 2nd August 1996. Followed by 6th Sept, 4th Oct, 1st Nov, 3rd Dec, 31st Dec, 31st Jan, 28th Feb&

Mike's prices on the castings are very reasonable  ;)

Jo

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2017, 02:41:24 PM »
Ummmmm....more eye candy!!  Thanks for the additional pictures Jo.

Bill

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2017, 05:05:42 PM »
Thanks for the Pics Jo and Andy.

I was going to mention to Jo that the Gypsy was in the latest advert form Eng Emp but looks like she is ahead of me. I know a man who might have liked that curved spoke flywheel in one of the pics but it may be a bit big.

Offline wirralcnc

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2017, 07:17:02 PM »
Great pics.
I will definitely have to attend next year.  The gypsy major castings, who is supplying them.

Thanks in advance

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2017, 07:27:31 PM »
Engineers Emporium best to contact them and ask for a catalogue as there website only has a fraction of what they do

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2017, 09:37:38 PM »
Just to make a correction, Art, the excellent photo selection was not done by me but by Andy "Chipmaster.."  You can have too many chips..!

But I was at the show, and grabbed a few pictures as best I could with my primitive camera.   Hope that these "non engine" shots will interest a few members

A 5" gauge LNWR "Jeanie Deans" on the LNWR soc. stand
A 3 1/2" gauge  LNWR "Jumbo" made by "Curly", LBSC himself.
A 1/7th scale 1930's MG, scratch built.
 A very nice chassis for an LNER 2-6-2 V" loco, 5" gauge, on a club stand.

Dave

Offline JR72

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2017, 07:52:43 AM »
Nice photos Dave.

John

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2017, 09:16:53 PM »
Some views here on the tube ...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8A6eH0Rfhc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8A6eH0Rfhc</a>

Dave.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2017, 04:34:36 PM »
Jo - What does a Bugl engine look like?  Google has not found one.

Hi Colin,

I had to explain to my supplier that Surus had noticed that his casting set did not come home with us  :facepalm: So today he was good enough to personally bring the last but one remaining set of Bugl castings over for Surus's personal casting collection  :noidea:

This is what the castings and the 2.5cc Mk3 BUGL Team racer engine looks like. I won't be building it anytime soon as it is far, far beyond my current machining capabilities  :disappointed: This engine will be serial number 85, the parts for engine number 86 is still with my supplier but best not ask how much he will want for it  :hellno:

Jo

P.S. the one in the photo sold a couple of years ago in Netherlands http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Rare-Paul-Bugl-MK-III-2-5cc-Team-Race-Diesel-Model-Engine-New-/311202953193

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2017, 04:55:57 PM »
Did your supplier also correct you on the name of the engine? no wonder google did not come up with anything when Colin looked ;)

Which parts are beyond your machining capabilities and does that mean you will be needing to buy more machines/tooling  :)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2017, 05:13:14 PM »
Did your supplier also correct you on the name of the engine? no wonder google did not come up with anything when Colin looked ;)

Which parts are beyond your machining capabilities and does that mean you will be needing to buy more machines/tooling  :)

On the spelling of the name...

The odd combined connecting rod/piston and getting the accurate internal securing ring mounts :paranoia: The three decimal places metric machining tolerances on some parts are a bit :o

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal