Author Topic: A Geneva Wheel  (Read 3117 times)

Offline philjoe5

A Geneva Wheel
« on: September 27, 2017, 04:05:28 PM »
I thought I'd share a video and photo of my latest mechanical movement called a Geneva Wheel.  It's similar in function to Movement #68 shown in

http://507movements.com/mm_068.html

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh8M1xE6ilE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh8M1xE6ilE</a>

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
Re: A Geneva Wheel
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 04:32:04 PM »
I like that Phil, very nicely made.  :ThumbsUp:
It's even got a rocking valve engine which I would like to add to my collection at some point.
Jim
The person who never made a mistake never made anything.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 05:15:55 PM »
That makes a nice display Phil, especially for those observers that may not be familiar with Geneva mechanisms.  Well executed also!!!

Bill

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 12:10:57 AM »
Jim - thanks, that's a Ray HasBrouck mill engine #3 at 125% scale.

Bill - thanks, and also for the advice on using the proper technique/equipment. 

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 12:18:02 AM »
I need to look through my Ray Hasbrouk plans book again. That is a very handsome engine as well and perfect for the Geneva wheel. Thanks for noting that Phil.

Bill

Offline Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 09:50:03 AM »
Phil - Thanks for the steer to the design of the engine.  I have found a UK supplier of Ray Hasbrouk's book of designs and will be ordering it.
The fascinating addition of the Geneva Wheel looks straightforward in concept (as many ingenious mechanical devices do at first sight) though not in practice, so I may even have a go at making a copy of that.
Thanks again for showing your fine model, the more I look at it the more I think it could be my next project.
Jim
The person who never made a mistake never made anything.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 12:30:14 PM »
Phil, I did indeed find the #3 in the book of Ray's plans. Guess I had just never paid much attention to it. When I get around to it I may give it a go in half scale though, which would be a great size for the Cowell's/Sherlines. Again, thanks for the info.!!

Bill

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 02:03:33 PM »
Jim, Bill,

It was just 10 years ago when I completed Ray's #3 Mill engine, my first steam engine.  That started a journey into this hobby where I've met so many great fellow model engineers.

I've seen the #3 Mill engine at half scale and I've built it in 1x, 1,25x and 1.5x scales.  I often run the 1.5x engine with live steam at the Rough & Tumble shows

Cheers,
Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal