Author Topic: Do I want to buy a Myford Super 7?  (Read 5745 times)

Offline DTR

• UK
Do I want to buy a Myford Super 7?
« on: September 25, 2017, 01:59:17 PM »
I can hear the collective groan of the forum from here  :facepalm:  I'm sorry, I suppose I just wanted to air my dilemma.  A problem shared, and all that.

I currently have an ML7 dating from 1951.  No major issues (touch wood), and I am comfortable with its capacity.  However I have discovered a Super 7 (1960s, I suspect) for sale nearby and its gearbox has piqued my interest.  I don't do much screwcutting, but when I do I long for a gearbox.  I may even be more inclined to screwcut if I had one.

The main advantages of this Super 7 compared to my ML7, as I see it:

Quick change gearbox - no faffing with changegears
Countershaft clutch - less stressful on the motor?  Also handy for screwcutting up to a shoulder, I understand?
Longer cross slide - handy for mounting a rear toolpost
Wider range of pulley speeds
VFD motor already fitted - not sure how useful that will be on a lathe
Myford octagonal stand included - I've long been contemplating a workshop reorganisation, and the stand would save me the trouble of building a new one.

The Super has been advertised for £1,000;  I doubt I could recoup much of that by selling the ML7.  I've yet to view it in the flesh so this may all be moot anyway.

So what say you, oh wise engine makers?  Will my life be immeasurably enriched by the aquisition of a Super 7?
Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Do I want to buy a Myford Super 7?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 02:49:30 PM »
I sold my Super 7B for £1K with a lot of gadgets including metrics thread conversion set, lots of chucks, quick change toolpost, dividing head, capstan conversion stuff etc... So for me it is over priced

The main problem with the older Myford is the small diameter hole up the nose of the lathe. I upgraded to my Prazimat which as well as being German Engineering has a good sized hole up its nose (20mm) and power crossfeeds. It is now sitting gathering dust as Mr Silky does that sort of work and he has a good 28mm through his nose  :)

Jo

Edit: While the Prazimat is an excellent lathe its second hand value isn't and the chucks and DRO are worth more as spares around the workshop than I could probably get for the lathe... It will probably stay until a little Schaublin moves in  :naughty:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 03:01:27 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 03:10:05 PM »
You could make it cheaper by looking at all the minor faults with it .......take some measuring equipment with you also an accurately turned morse taper with with a long protusion like a die threading holder and use a DTI to measure the wear on the front of the bed...........but any faults you find will have to be lived with or sorted out. Also ask if there is an 127 change wheel etc etc

Offline malbenbut

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 07:00:24 PM »
You could get a good quality Boxford Or Viceroy lathe which are much better than a Myford for that price. I would shop around first to see whats on Ebay or Gumtree  to see whats on offer

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester UK (where the lathes were made)
    • Bill's website
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 07:11:50 PM »
I'm trying to find a home for 1740 dsg  if you have big enough bench :-).

nice lathe, cheap  far too good for the scrap man

Offline DTR

• UK
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 09:21:50 PM »
Thanks for the opinions so far. My ML7 is already kitted out with chucks, steadies and so on, so any extras with the Super 7 could be sold off. For the same reason I'm not willing to convert to a Boxford as I'd have to start from scratch.

Keep the opinions coming, if you can talk me out of it end of the week you'll save me some dosh :D
Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 07:46:37 AM »
They would have to be sold with the ML7 to give it any value (after you chose the better ones  :-X ).

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 09:13:12 AM »
I have always been extremely pleased with my Super 7, which is a 1976 power cross feed one that I bought new and have had for 40 years.  Having the gearbox is a most useful feature, and the clutch too, and the longer cross slide allows of a rear tool post left mounted.  The gearbox was always a very expensive addition to the plain lathe.
  As the capacity has not been an issue for you on the ML7 then the features of a larger machine of different make may not have relevance, and you usefully retain compatibility.
  If you have the room to still keep your ML7 , there is a lot to be said for having the two machines available, making up a little jig or gauge, studs, etc. while the other lathe is occupied by a longer term job, that sort of thing. 
  The price is going to be a matter of personal opinion, but if the Super is in good condition, it seems like a decent buy to me.   Much better value than what I get for six month's Council Tax, for instance....!   Dave

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 01:11:34 PM »
I had an ML7 for many years until I inherited my late fathers Super 7 which he bought new with all the accesories to go with it.

I personally think the Super 7 is a much nicer lathe to use than the ML7, and have never considered swapping it for anything else, having said that I also have a Harrison L5A and a Pultra 1770 and a Boley watchmakers lathe, all of wich are very well tooled up. So I tend to use whichever lathe suits the size of job in hand.

If ever I had to down size the workshop, I would hang on to the Myford and let the others go first though.

Phil

Offline DTR

• UK
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 03:54:47 PM »
They would have to be sold with the ML7 to give it any value (after you chose the better ones  :-X ).

Jo

Naturally ;)

I personally think the Super 7 is a much nicer lathe to use than the ML7,

Phil

That's interesting, would you mind elaborating please?

As the capacity has not been an issue for you on the ML7 then the features of a larger machine of different make may not have relevance, and you usefully retain compatibility.
  If you have the room to still keep your ML7 , there is a lot to be said for having the two machines available, making up a little jig or gauge, studs, etc. while the other lathe is occupied by a longer term job, that sort of

I must admit there have been times when capacity has been a problem, but those occasions are few and far between. If I had a bigger lathe, I'd just find bigger things to get frustrated by. I'd love to keep the ML7 too but I just don't have the space. It would probably work out quite expensive too, once you take the resulting divorce bill into consideration.....

Thanks again all, your opinions are very much food for thought

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal