Author Topic: Which small diesel - Looking at Midge and Weaver  (Read 219 times)

Offline DaveInWesternNY

Which small diesel - Looking at Midge and Weaver
« on: April 04, 2024, 08:12:16 PM »
I am looking at building my first IC engine.  From what I have found it looks like the Midge and the Weaver Motor Boys plans would fit the bill with fairly simple shapes and easily available materials.  Both look like fairly simple projects and are well within the range of the equipment that I have.  It looks to me like the Midge is the simpler build due not having a simpler case shape and not having an internal threads that need to be single pointed.  Looking for reasonably easy starting and enough power for a small FF or 2 channel RC plane.   Diesel instead of glo so I don't need to carry a battery around or mess with glo plugs.

Are these good choices?  Are there others that are similar that I should look at?  Any particular reason to choose one over the other?

Dave

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Which small diesel - Looking at Midge and Weaver
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 08:49:30 PM »
The Boll Aero is quite a popular starter engine as well, should be able to find the drawings on the web.

https://modelenginenews.org/bollaero/index.html

Can you get or mix your own fuel OK? Glow driver is small enough to put in your pocket so not too much of an issue to carry around.

Offline DaveInWesternNY

Re: Which small diesel - Looking at Midge and Weaver
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 10:06:46 PM »
I can mix my own diesel if I use starting fluid ether.  I won't need much so it is not too bad to get.  I can probably purchase glo fuel with a 60 mile drive or mail order it.  I flew glow engines for a lot of years and have the hearing loss to prove it.  I want to try a diesel for a different type of noise.

That is an interesting engine and I will add it to my options.  A larger displacement like that will usually be easier to start and run.

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal