Author Topic: Upshur, First IC Engine  (Read 7782 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Upshur, First IC Engine
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 11:22:04 PM »
Very nice runner, happy you got the issue sorted out. I had forgotten about the resistor supplied now by S/S, the last system i bought had the resistor in the package of parts but not wired into the spark plug wire (unless it should be needed by the user). You are a happy camper now I know!!!

Bill

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 11:38:33 PM »
Sleddog,
Glad to hear the happy sounds of a running engine.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline cheepo45

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 01:46:42 AM »
Nicely done! My first engine was an Upshur horizontal farm engine.
It's a great feeling when engines run for the first time - especially when they don't want to run at first (like mine!)

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2017, 02:04:15 AM »
Very nice work on your 1st IC engine.  I'm seeing just 1 day from completion to getting it to run - that's a fine achievement itself :ThumbsUp:

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Sleddog

• South East South Dakota, USA
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2017, 04:52:58 PM »
Very nice work on your 1st IC engine.  I'm seeing just 1 day from completion to getting it to run - that's a fine achievement itself :ThumbsUp:

Cheers,
Phil

The power of the internet Phil 😏 Things (time) aren't what they appear!  Actually almost two weeks between finishing & yesterday's video. (Yesterday WAS the 1st run) There were several issues to work through. At one point I was so frustrated I thought about loading everything up & driving somewhere to seek help.
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the comments. Yes, I've been bitten. I will be starting another soon. Probably another "easy" first build.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 04:57:53 PM by Sleddog »

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 05:19:17 PM »
OK, thanks for the reality check.  I was feeling quite the dunce  :Jester: because I think I was 2 months between having all the parts made and getting a reliable runner with my first IC.

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 08:25:41 PM »
OK - this is the second thread where I can't see any video or even a hint of where it should be in the post ...  :censored:

What / where / how, is the video hosted / added to the post ?

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2017, 08:46:38 PM »
Post #14 appears to have one ..

Dave

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 10:46:57 PM »
OK - this is the second thread where I can't see any video or even a hint of where it should be in the post ...  :censored:

What / where / how, is the video hosted / added to the post ?
I am seeing it in post number 15 - what do you see there?  It is hosted on YouTube, maybe you have that blocked?

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2018, 07:46:04 PM »
Nice work sleddog, sorry I missed this build. I bought the plans for this a few years ago but never got around to making it yet. I like it’s simplicity of build but also is an attractive engine and seems a reliable runner. It will be my first ic engine too. I am planning on a horizontal air cooled with some mods to suit my own materials although I do like your vertical. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sleddog

• South East South Dakota, USA
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2018, 12:44:00 AM »
Thanks Nick, I've since completed 3 more engines. A Webster, Rupnow Vertical & Rupnow Overhead Cam.
The Upshur now runs a bit better. Just last week I modified the area where the spark plug protrudes into the combustion chamber. I think it's recessed too far the way designed. Maybe not, but it starts much easier & isn't so finicky to carburetor adjustments.

Sleddog

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2018, 08:22:49 PM »
I’ll have to remember that one. You’ll have learnt a lot building 3 more. You’ve been busy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2018, 11:46:15 PM »
Nice job. On my IC engines, I've found that flooding the cylinder with oil helps with compression till the rings seat.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal