Author Topic: Upshur, First IC Engine  (Read 7931 times)

Offline Sleddog

• South East South Dakota, USA
Upshur, First IC Engine
« on: September 24, 2017, 02:28:44 PM »
After a couple of simple steam engines I wanted to attempt a IC engine.
I've been making chips.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Upshur, First IC Engine
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 04:01:48 PM »
Nice start sleddog!!! It's great to see a couple of new builds starting off too and I look forward to following along  :popcorn:

Bill

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 07:12:16 PM »
I'll be watching along Sleddog.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 10:50:59 PM »
Hi Sleddog, it appears to be an Upshur Farm Engine, vertical air-cooled. is that correct?

--Tim

Offline Longboy

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 11:33:56 PM »
After a couple of simple steam engines I wanted to attempt a IC engine.
An easy single to build.....yer gonna get so hooked on gas, you'll be dreaming "put-puts" all nite! :Lol:
Wadda you mean, "It don't run"???

Offline rudydubya

• Western Arkansas USA
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 01:31:34 AM »
I'll be following along, Sleddog.  My first engine was an Upshur.  I have fond memories of its first runs.

Regards,
Rudy

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 03:36:48 AM »
Sleddog,
I don't think that you will regret building a Hamilton Upshur designed IC engine as a first IC engine. My first was the vertical single from Strictly IC.
Here is a video of it running.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFlv2U7e-r4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFlv2U7e-r4</a>

The beauty of this hobby is that you can modify as you see fit. I wanted more cooling and didn't want to shave 1/4" of stock to get the required stock. So, using the stock I had I used ball bearings for the cam and mains. It'll spin 7500rpm on a good day!
I'll be watching along.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Sleddog

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 10:11:31 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys.

tvoght, yes it is

Art k, that's a nice running engine.

I spent yesterday (I can't believe it took so long) making the connecting rod. I'm not pleased with the result, so I'll be doing another

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 10:18:10 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys.

tvoght, yes it is

Art k, that's a nice running engine.

I spent yesterday (I can't believe it took so long) making the connecting rod. I'm not pleased with the result, so I'll be doing another

Ah yes, one of the "joys" of this hobby....

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 10:35:00 PM »
For what it's worth, if you haven't already seen it, I have a build log of the horizontal water cooled version here:

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,341.0.html

I say for what it's worth because mine has only been known to run once for about 5 seconds. Still you might find something of value in the log. I'll get back to it eventually.

--Tim

Offline Sleddog

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 02:08:58 PM »
Tim, I had found, read & bookmarked your build. Thanks for taking the time to post. 

Offline Sleddog

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 03:09:32 PM »
A little more progress on the Upshur engine.

I had forgot to put snap ring grooves on the valve stems before parting them off.

Here, I held the Dremel in the 3-jaw. Made a fixture & held it in the QCTH. Then, ground a groove for the snap ring.

Almost ready. Needs carburetor & ignition.

Now we're ready to see if it will run!

:( :( :(
Not even a POP! I figured it was due to a lack of compression. Initially it seemed pretty good, but went away. So after lots of messing around I decided to do away with the CI rings & use viton O-rings. Now I've got good compression...all the time! After going with the O-rings & turning it with a cordless drill I can get an occasional fire.

As you can see I'm using S/S ignition & Hall sensor. The timing light shows it's firing at TDC. (I've tried a few degrees before TDC too) Doesn't make any difference. Exhaust valve movement is about BDC to a few degrees before TDC. I've played with Intake spring tension & believe that's not the issue. It seems that the only time I can get it to fire is when the needle valve is screwed way out & throttle wide open, then it's so rich fuel is flying all over. I've had the needle valve from completely  closed to very rich while it's turning over. Again, the time it does fire isn't consistent, they are several revolutions apart. Something that does seem to help is if I hold my finger over the exhaust! I don't know what that's about.
I have been using Coleman fuel. Yesterday I tried some 2-stroke gas I had for the weed-eater, that seem to fire a little better but far from running without the cordless drill.

Any comments would be appreciated......I'm not going to let this beat me

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 03:29:10 PM »
So you seem to have the compression under control now, and it sounds like the carb is letting in fuel even if you have yet to get it regulated to where you want. The other thing is spark. The timing light shows that the Hall sensor is working but are you actually getting a good spark at the plug? Nice looking engine and it will run...just being stubborn at the moment.

Bill

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 06:27:09 PM »
Others have had problems with the inlet valve spring. It should just be capable of closing the inlet valve. If it is too strong you get no induction. The occasional pops may be fuel that is flooding the system mixed with fresh air that has come in via the exhaust.

Looks good though  :praise2:  with some persistence and help from the group you will get it running  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Sleddog

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 10:34:08 PM »
Well, after considerable trouble shooting there is finally success...What a good feeling :whoohoo:

The S/S ignition system has a resistor inline with the plug wire, I removed it & the engine fired right up.

And as they say.....It didn't happen if there isn't

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2QKxlJxmnI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2QKxlJxmnI</a>

Thanks for watching...

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 11:22:04 PM »
Very nice runner, happy you got the issue sorted out. I had forgotten about the resistor supplied now by S/S, the last system i bought had the resistor in the package of parts but not wired into the spark plug wire (unless it should be needed by the user). You are a happy camper now I know!!!

Bill

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 11:38:33 PM »
Sleddog,
Glad to hear the happy sounds of a running engine.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline cheepo45

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 01:46:42 AM »
Nicely done! My first engine was an Upshur horizontal farm engine.
It's a great feeling when engines run for the first time - especially when they don't want to run at first (like mine!)

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2017, 02:04:15 AM »
Very nice work on your 1st IC engine.  I'm seeing just 1 day from completion to getting it to run - that's a fine achievement itself :ThumbsUp:

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Sleddog

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2017, 04:52:58 PM »
Very nice work on your 1st IC engine.  I'm seeing just 1 day from completion to getting it to run - that's a fine achievement itself :ThumbsUp:

Cheers,
Phil

The power of the internet Phil 😏 Things (time) aren't what they appear!  Actually almost two weeks between finishing & yesterday's video. (Yesterday WAS the 1st run) There were several issues to work through. At one point I was so frustrated I thought about loading everything up & driving somewhere to seek help.
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the comments. Yes, I've been bitten. I will be starting another soon. Probably another "easy" first build.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 04:57:53 PM by Sleddog »

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 05:19:17 PM »
OK, thanks for the reality check.  I was feeling quite the dunce  :Jester: because I think I was 2 months between having all the parts made and getting a reliable runner with my first IC.

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 08:25:41 PM »
OK - this is the second thread where I can't see any video or even a hint of where it should be in the post ...  :censored:

What / where / how, is the video hosted / added to the post ?

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2017, 08:46:38 PM »
Post #14 appears to have one ..

Dave

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 10:46:57 PM »
OK - this is the second thread where I can't see any video or even a hint of where it should be in the post ...  :censored:

What / where / how, is the video hosted / added to the post ?
I am seeing it in post number 15 - what do you see there?  It is hosted on YouTube, maybe you have that blocked?

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2018, 07:46:04 PM »
Nice work sleddog, sorry I missed this build. I bought the plans for this a few years ago but never got around to making it yet. I like it’s simplicity of build but also is an attractive engine and seems a reliable runner. It will be my first ic engine too. I am planning on a horizontal air cooled with some mods to suit my own materials although I do like your vertical. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sleddog

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2018, 12:44:00 AM »
Thanks Nick, I've since completed 3 more engines. A Webster, Rupnow Vertical & Rupnow Overhead Cam.
The Upshur now runs a bit better. Just last week I modified the area where the spark plug protrudes into the combustion chamber. I think it's recessed too far the way designed. Maybe not, but it starts much easier & isn't so finicky to carburetor adjustments.

Sleddog

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2018, 08:22:49 PM »
I’ll have to remember that one. You’ll have learnt a lot building 3 more. You’ve been busy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2018, 11:46:15 PM »
Nice job. On my IC engines, I've found that flooding the cylinder with oil helps with compression till the rings seat.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal