Author Topic: Unit steam engine  (Read 4131 times)

Offline samc88

Unit steam engine
« on: September 23, 2017, 04:47:24 PM »
Just a little kit I found online for £20 so thought I'd give it a go. The crankshaft assembly has been done and it spins over nicely when lined up with EP90, anyone else with a series land rover will appreciate the smell of that stuff.

Being made on my 7x14 mini lathe

Sent from my VFD 510 using Tapatalk

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: Unit steam engine
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 05:29:20 PM »
Looks like a nice kit.

Thomas
Thomas

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 05:31:10 PM »
£20 that is a good price. Looks like the sort of thing that would be good for a beginner to try their hand at  8)

Can you give us a link to where you brought it... My nephew could have one as his first set of castings   :)

I will be following along  :popcorn:

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 05:36:15 PM »
Cute little engine ...  :D

Is that the same one that was advertised in Model Engineer extensively some decades ago?

If it is the same I think it was possible to couple them together.  (IIRC up to a V-eight ??)

Or maybe something else entirely ...  :headscratch:    :old:

Dave

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 05:44:27 PM »
did a pair for the grand kids a while ago
just machined the parts up tested then striped down and gave the ta bag of bits and the plans , they did get them together and they both ran fine and got two happy girls

but alas photosucit has blocked the pics in the thread its on here but without the pics there is no point linking it

I believe the white metal parts are pink alloy as mine were quite hard but machined to a good finish

now alas they have grown up a bit and its phones / tablets ( iPad/android) that interests them

they do run very well

here you go Jo. http://www.forest-classics.co.uk/Unit%20Steam.htm
yes dave you are correct they can form a multi unit

« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 05:47:54 PM by Stuart »
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline samc88

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 05:49:45 PM »
I got it from here http://forest-classics.co.uk/Unit%20Steam.htm

It seems quite good to be fair with a good little sheet giving you machining operations and the drawings are pretty clear (other than it being mostly metric with some imperial measurements but that's not an issue).

Been using my lathe for proper jobs on vehicles and things such as making bushes and fancied a cheap little kit just to get into the model engineering side of things

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 07:35:06 PM »
Nice little kit. I like how it is expandable too.

Bill

Offline samc88

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 06:26:33 PM »
Bit more progress today, managed to machine the cylinder and piston and do a trial assembly. Before the final assembly I'm going to polish the mating face between the base and the cylinder to get as good a seal as possible. It's already pretty good when I hold it to the light but I think it could feel smoother. The plan is to paint t the upright part black and leave the other parts as machined so it has a good contrast.

Apologies for the poor pictures, haven't got a laptop at the minute to upload pics from my camera so having to use the camera on my phone which isnt ideal but hopefully you get the idea

Offline samc88

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 07:03:27 PM »
Piston rod and big end have been made and the engine has been assembled to test it and I'm pleased to report that it turns over nicely. Next step is to drill the steam ports in the standard and hopefully get it running

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 07:38:54 PM »
That is looking very nice....shouldn't be long at all till you have a nice runner there :)

Bill

Offline DTR

• UK
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 08:22:54 PM »
£20 that is a good price. Looks like the sort of thing that would be good for a beginner to try their hand at  8)

Can you give us a link to where you brought it... My nephew could have one as his first set of castings   :)

I will be following along  :popcorn:

Jo

I got it from here http://forest-classics.co.uk/Unit%20Steam.htm

It seems quite good to be fair with a good little sheet giving you machining operations and the drawings are pretty clear (other than it being mostly metric with some imperial measurements but that's not an issue).

Been using my lathe for proper jobs on vehicles and things such as making bushes and fancied a cheap little kit just to get into the model engineering side of things

Watching with interest! I'm in a similar position; been using the lathe for years but haven't got round to any model engineering yet. I was recommended to start with either a Stuart cast kit or an Elmer, so it's interesting to see this. Thank you for the link!
Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal