Author Topic: Monitor "Ball Hopper Motor" Help Needed  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Jack

Monitor "Ball Hopper Motor" Help Needed
« on: September 18, 2017, 06:03:38 PM »
I am building a Monitor Ball Hopper Motor and I am having trouble trying to figure out the governor mechanism. Has anyone here built this model and would you have any photos of the mechanism that you would be willing to share? i have all of the little parts made but a picture would be worth a thousand words. The plans are just not that clear, in my opinion.

Thanks

Jack

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Monitor "Ball Hopper Motor" Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 06:35:28 PM »
Which one is it? The Lone Star or Pacific Model Design one.

This is about the best photo I have of the latch on teh PMD one I did

And this video shows the latch and governor working

[youtube1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNFKEhrn0lY[/youtube1]
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 06:42:20 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 07:16:33 PM »
My buddy built one a few years ago, if I remember correctly he struggled a bit on how all the pieces when together and worked.
Attached are some pictures that he sent me. If you need a better quality picture, I could visit him and take some more pictures.

Dave

Offline Jack

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 09:13:58 PM »
Thanks

The little parts that i have made look like the ones in your photos of Lone star model but i am still struggling with the mounting point on the crankcase I sure could use a pic of the arm or or whatever it is that it mounts to. Do the little parts sit down in a channel? Thats what it sort of looks like but i am still confused.

I may have solved the problem, I didn't cut the slot to sit the rocker part down into. It is starting to make sense now, if
I can just figure out how to adjust it.

Thanks

Jack (71 years old and still trying to read between the lines on a print)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 10:32:54 PM by Jack »

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 11:46:21 PM »
Looks like you have it figured out, I was about to send this picture so I decided to send it anyway.
When the engine speeds up the weight in the flywheel hits the pin and pushes the latch under the exhaust lifter. There is a spring in there somewhere that pulls it back out of the way when the engine slows down. I can get a better picture but it might be a day or two.

Dave

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 12:17:42 AM »
I have the Lone Star casting set aging under the bench. I never did really figure out the governor drawings.  The videos and pictures here will surely help. I haven't looked at the drawings for a couple of years, but I can now revisit them with these additional resources. Thanks to everyone!

--Tim

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 07:36:56 AM »
May be worth sending Maury a PM for a pic of his engine, if anyone knows how they go together it will be him.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 11:59:02 PM »
I stopped by my friends house after work today and snapped a better picture of the governor assembly. I was mistaken, there is no return spring, gravity allows the latch assembly to open when the engine slows down and the valve lifter raises allowing  it to unlatch. You can see the bolt and jam nut that controls how much it can move. You will want the blade to just clear the lifter when the governor is unlatched.

Hope this helps.
Dave

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 12:28:31 AM »
That last shot is pretty darn clear, Dave. I just looked back through photos I took of Maury's engine at  NAMES 2013.  I discussed it with him then, but forgot most of what he told me. The photos I took were blurry and at bad angles.  I'm saving away the shots here. Thanks again.

--TIm

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal