Author Topic: B&S Collet question  (Read 1396 times)

Offline philjoe5

B&S Collet question
« on: September 17, 2017, 05:02:24 PM »
I'm making a geneva wheel.  I made one using this well worn rotary table and while it's functional I wanted to try using my dividing head which a bit more robust.  The problem is that when I place the workpiece in the B&S collet and use a standard 3/8" bolt as a drawbar I can't swing the dividing head into a horizontal position.  The bolt head doesn't stand clear.  I'm wondering if I can remove the drawbar once the collet is tightened.  Any thoughts on that?

Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: B&S Collet question
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 06:02:12 PM »
I wouldn't Phil. Any slight movement from the cutting forces could loosen the part in the collet resulting in a ruined workpiece and likely a broken end mill as well. Just my 2 cents.

Bill

Offline philjoe5

Re: B&S Collet question
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 08:17:46 PM »
Bill,
Good advice, which I took.  I wanted someone to tell me they used these collets all the time without a drawbar.  The only reason I thought this might be possible is because it's quite difficult to release a part from them.  My dividing head has a 40:1 worm making it easier to find the angles I needed so i had hoped to use it.  Instead I used my 6" rotab with a 90:1 worm and an MT2 collet with drawbar.  Anyway I did have a successful end product ;D  That said, making one gear without a meshing gear means you're only halfway home.  So I'm off to make a driver for this Geneva Wheel

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal