Author Topic: Building a Muncaster entablature engine  (Read 23252 times)

Offline Larry

• Atlanta, GA
Re: Building a Muncaster entablature engine
« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2018, 05:01:44 AM »
Looks and runs great - Congratulations ! Enjoyed following your build.

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2018, 12:44:22 PM »
Great runner Peter and love the colour.  Congratulations. :praise2: :praise2:

Vince

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #122 on: April 17, 2018, 03:26:37 PM »
Thanks guys  :)

I really enjoyed making it and it's always a great feeling once these little engines spring to life.

I really want to make a decent sized barstock Benson engine at some point and this has a few similarities, I'm hoping what I learnt in making this will prove useful later.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2018, 03:58:20 PM »
Well Jason, you asked to see it running on the hot stuff and I couldn't resist having a go.

It still needs a few finishing touches but I gave it a run on my 3" dia boiler, it is surprisingly economical with steam and fuel. The boiler can run it indefinitely at about 300 - 400rpm with the stop valve partly closed and maintain about 40psi.

At a slow tickover it uses virtualy no water or gas and runs with less than 5psi on the pressure gauge.

I guess steam is messy compared to air but its more fun and has improved chuffability  :pinkelephant:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwG3vV-Oi6Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwG3vV-Oi6Y</a>
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 07:06:28 PM by Gas_mantle »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2018, 04:21:14 PM »
That was pretty cool. I don't recall seeing a model run that slowly before.  :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2018, 04:39:35 PM »
Wow - very nice!  At the slowest tickover its almost like a hit and miss engine sound, as it just creeps up on the next valve opening.  :whoohoo:

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2018, 04:57:33 PM »
Thanks guys :-)

It will run as slow as about 40rpm and up to over 1000rpm, at full speed it is fairly powerful.

As it is warm in the UK today I'm currently trying to get my big horizontal engine running on steam for the first time. I tried earlier in the year but it was cold and it was developing a hydraulic lock (it doesn't have drain cocks) If I can get it running I'll post a video.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2018, 06:49:23 PM »
Thanks for firing it up Peter, runs well on the steam. I think about 50rpm looks nice rather than having it whizzing away which a full size would never do but it is fun to see what they are capable of. The latest High Speed engine will make its public debut in the next couple of days

One reason I like these 24mm size engines is that they are quite economical so you can run them on the compressor without the motor constantly kicking in and when the fits are right very little pressure is needed which also allows a longer run without refill. As you have found they they will not need vast amounts of steam so managing the fire and boiler is less stressful too.

The other advantage of this sort of size is that they are not vastly expensive to build as most components are of a reasonable size with the largest costs being a flywheel and lump of something for the cylinder. They can also be made of fairly small machines but are not so small that you need a magnifying glass to see the parts.

J

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2018, 07:05:37 PM »
Cheers Jason,

I look forward to seeing your vertical engine finished and running, it's something I'd consider having a go at once I have made the Stuart replicas.

As you say it's a fairly cheap engine to make, I paid about £20 for the flywheel and as I had most of the materials I'd say it only cost about another £10. If any new modellers out there are looking for something relatively easy to build I can recommend trying one of these, it's all barstock apart from the flywheel so if you make a mistake it isn't costly.

As for the big horizontal it's having none of it. I thought a warm day might help but it still hydraulic locks, the little 3" boiler I was using is a bit too small also. I think it going to be a case of fitting drain cocks as I won't be happy till it runs on the hot stuff  :)

Offline Larry

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #129 on: April 20, 2018, 05:06:49 AM »
Great seeing it run on steam. Thanks for the demonstration.

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #130 on: April 20, 2018, 01:12:29 PM »
That is a very nice running engine, and on steam it does chuff along nicely.

It is also nice to look at.

Thank you for posting that video.

ShopShoe

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #131 on: April 20, 2018, 01:46:03 PM »
Looks Great Peter and I like the color.  Thanks for sharing. :ThumbsUp:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2018, 01:53:06 PM »
Thanks guys  :)

My neighbour saw me steaming it up outside yesterday, her remark was 'I like the wooden base'  :wallbang:

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #133 on: June 24, 2018, 03:36:56 PM »
Fabulous work Peter.

You have a talent!

:cheers:

gary

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #134 on: June 24, 2018, 10:07:32 PM »
Very nicely done and documented, a great runner. If I might suggest it, you would do better if you had a better secondary light source for your photographs. I find that if I use a flash on my camera, I get a lot of "high dazzle" spots that muck up the picture. I did buy a photographers light-source (200 watt bulb) with reflecting parasol, and it works good but is kind of a pain to set up when you are in the middle of something. I get my best photographs with my office door open and lots of natural light.---Brian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal