Author Topic: Telescopic Bore Gauges  (Read 1679 times)

Online Twizseven

Telescopic Bore Gauges
« on: September 15, 2017, 07:09:27 PM »
I have a set of Mitutoyo telescoping bore gauges and a couple of Starrett small hole gauges. I would like to know the best way to clean these.

There are a couple of the telescopic ones which have plungers which are a bit on the sticky side and need freeing off.  The Starrett gauges have a pair of moving ball bearings and these have a bit of dirt and dust behind them preventing full movement.

I have had a search on the web but cannot see (have not yet found) any disassembly/cleaning instructions.

Has anyone taken their gauges apart to clean them.  I do not want to damage them or have small springs and ball bearings vanishing into the hands of the shop elves.

I do have an Ultrasonic cleaner available and compressed air.

Thank you.

Colin

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Telescopic Bore Gauges
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 07:38:51 PM »
I'd soak them in Paraffin to start with - actually 32 second burning oil as I have hundreds of litres of the stuff to use up. Paraffin in the ultrasonic cleaner might be better.

Best avoid taking things apart if you don't have to..

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 08:39:18 PM »
Jo,

Many thanks will try your suggestion.  I guess rather than change the solution in the ultrasonic cleaner I could just but a glass jar (large coffee jar or similar) of paraffin in (sat in the basket) and put the gauges in that.

Must admit very dubious of taking them apart.

Colin

PS Now have set of metric collets from 1 to 10mm plus a few other metric and imperial for the Aciera.  Just need to find a 3/8" now.  4 jaw chuck now fitted to W12 mandrel.  Slowly but surely its coming together.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 08:49:33 PM »
PS Now have set of metric collets from 1 to 10mm plus a few other metric and imperial for the Aciera.  Just need to find a 3/8" now.  4 jaw chuck now fitted to W12 mandrel.  Slowly but surely its coming together.

:o You are doing well. If it is only one common size needed then Eric might have multiples  :noidea:

I won't let Sexy know how well your machine is doing he only has the basic tool holding W12 size collets  :(

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 10:01:03 PM »
Jo,

I check Ebay every day to see if any of the collet sizes are available.  Very few Imperial seem to come available. :(

Need to fix up the suds etc to the machine.  Thinking of making the pump and tank mobile so can move between the Aciera and other machines.  Ideally I would need some sort of quick release connection on each machine for the feed side, perhaps an airline connector.

Colin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal