Author Topic: New 3D printer for metal  (Read 1102 times)

Offline kvom

New 3D printer for metal
« on: September 12, 2017, 09:30:33 PM »
I just watched a webinar on a system to print metal parts from a company called MarkForged that I've been following for a while.  They started out making a printer for kevlar.

The new system is still well above home shop pricing, but much lower than others I've seen.  Basically a 3 machine system with a total list price of $125K for the three machines.

Machine 1 ($100K)  is the printer.  The print medium is powdered metal bound with two types of plastic binder.  Unlike the method used by Shapeways, the printed part isn't fragile.  The maximum size is fairly large and can print parts that weigh up to 10 pounds or so.  To print you upload an STL file.  The software adjusts the sizes for shrinkage.

Machine 2 ($10K) is a parts washer.  Here a special fluid removes most of the binder leaving the part porous.

Machine 3 ($15K) is a sintering oven that uses a cycle of heating and cooling to finish the part.  Oven is electric but baking is in at nitrogen-argon atmosphere.

The demo part shown was a type of machine jaw in 17-8 steel.  3 hours to print, 9 hours to wash, and some number of hours to bake (can't remember exactly).  Accuracy of the finished part is several thou per inch.  The part shown in the webinar didn't require any machining afterwards.

Unlike the Shapeways SS parts, there is no other metal infused.  Currently they are supply 17-8 and 316 stainless, and have aluminum in testing.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: New 3D printer for metal
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 09:51:19 PM »
Nice to see the technology advancing like that!

You mention that in step 2 the part is left porous - is the final baked part porous too? If so no good for pressure holding parts, but fine for outer structural stuff.

Lets see, Zee must have a corner left in that new shop where he can put these machines...!

Offline kvom

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 10:46:01 PM »
The final part isn't porous.  The sintering creates crystals across gaps, and in fact the part is as strong along the print layer direction as other directions.  I suspect the pores are pretty small anyway.

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 02:28:44 AM »
I asked this company to come and give a presentation to us at the university I work at...that will be this Friday. I will report back!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal