Author Topic: A Robinson from rejects.  (Read 71941 times)

Offline Ian j

Re: A Robinson from rejects.
« Reply #390 on: May 26, 2018, 06:24:26 PM »
Looks really good Ray, well worth all all that effort 
Enjoy your hol's.

Offline Ian j

« Reply #391 on: June 02, 2018, 05:09:45 PM »
Engine number 198 finally comes alive. Same problems we all have getting the LP gas just right! This one seems even more sensitive although it's the same set up as the fabricated engine.
 We call it low pressure but surely if we are restricting the flow by passing through a 0.15 mm jet ,in this case, the pressure is increased and the volume reduced? Just a thought

Any way here is a link to it running:-<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c78nryotYFg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c78nryotYFg</a>

Still need to grind the inlet valve a bit more when I strip it down for painting.

Ian
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 05:33:14 PM by Ian j »

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #392 on: June 02, 2018, 05:40:58 PM »
Well done Ian.

Another to add to the legacy that old " HR " established!    :)

Actually the presure will remain the same both sides of the restriction what is happening is that you're slowing the time taken to reach the input pressure.   ;)

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #393 on: June 09, 2018, 05:11:51 PM »
Grahams suggestion of a smaller diameter hot tube did the trick, it now gets nice and hot and will run without an additional flame :pinkelephant: Will tweak it a bit after painting as it is missing a few times but happy that it is all working now.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXX9fP6Iglc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXX9fP6Iglc</a>

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #394 on: June 09, 2018, 07:36:18 PM »
Nice one Jason.

I've just come in from the workshop, been playing with its stablemate my Gardner.

Glad I remembered about the thinning down of the tube outside diameter its been a long time since I last built a hot tube engine.

We've got the 150th anniversary of Gardner's establishment coming up in a couple of weeks, the Anson is having a bit of a " do ". I wanted to get number 103 running nicely again. She's become rather clankey and I discovered that the crankpin had worn about 5/1000" down and the gudgeon pin possibly more!! My engine has done thousands of hours running over the years and I've only ever replaced piston rings.

Over the last couple of days I've shimmed up the big end bearings and made an oversize gudgeon pin and reamed out the little end bush. Quiet as a church mouse now.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #395 on: July 07, 2018, 05:06:13 PM »
I spotted No 122 at the Guildford show today. Interesting that it did not have the usual ring of holes on teh inlet valve block but an inlet at the opposite side to teh gas inlet and air flow was controlled by a small "cock" valve.

Offline RayW

« Reply #396 on: July 07, 2018, 05:59:09 PM »
Back from a very hot four week tour of Germany and France and keen to get back in the workshop, but just too hot at the moment. Have been looking for a suitable wooden base for the engine and found a firm in Scotland on eBay who make wooden chopping boards in a variety of timbers and will make to whatever size you want. Have ordered a nice piece of oak which should show off the engine nicely. At least the heatwave has been beneficial in really hardening off the paint job on the engine before I attempt to get it running again.
That's an interesting variation of the inlet valve on engine 122, but I would have thought that it would make getting the balance of the gas/air mixture even more difficult as it appears that you need to adjust both the gas and the air tap instead of just adjusting the gas inlet.
Ray

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #397 on: July 28, 2018, 02:33:57 PM »
Number 202 has been sitting in the workshop for the last couple of weeks in it's new shiny paint waiting for some weather that was more conducive to starting engines.

Despite what one or two may say we all know that an engine is not really finished uptil it has been painted and runs. So with a drop in the temperature and the prospect of more castings arriving soon it was out to the workshop early for some flywheel flicking :LittleDevil:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq3FptbMBrE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq3FptbMBrE</a>

I'd like to say thanks to Graham for making this engine possible by providing some of his rejects and the wisdom he has shared with those of us building the X-type in this thread.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #398 on: July 28, 2018, 03:50:12 PM »
Well done Jason.

Very nice indeed.    :ThumbsUp:

Only you and I know how bad some of those castings were, to see the engine running flawlessly and remembering the original state, number 202 is a credit to your engineering/fettling skills.

Cheers Graham.

Post Script.

I've just noticed yours and Ray's previous posts. Just looking at the engine you spotted at Guildford is that number 128 rather than 122? The picture gets a little blurry but really looks like an 8 rather than a 2. Once clarified I can give the name of the original purchaser.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 03:57:04 PM by Alyn Foundry »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #399 on: July 28, 2018, 04:10:31 PM »
Thanks Graham

Definately 122 to my eyes

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #400 on: July 28, 2018, 04:23:36 PM »
You're welcome Jason.

Most definitely 122!!

The kit was originally sold to a Mr Brian Adaway in late 1990, he became one of my " regulars " and bought many of the Alyn Foundry range.

In looking through the day book I was both reminded and discovered how I became the owner of a part built Stuart 600 gas engine. Twenty eight years is a long time!

Cheers Graham.

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #401 on: July 28, 2018, 04:42:20 PM »
Very nice Jason!  It runs well and I love the color :)

I do have one question.  Usually people paint the fly wheel up to the rim, but leave that unpainted metal.   You have chosen to paint the whole thing.  Was there a specific reason for that?   I'm just curious.

Thanks,
Kim

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #402 on: July 28, 2018, 04:50:27 PM »
Well I suppose I can let out the secrets of what Graham and I know about the castings and why they were the rejects of the rejects pile. I may well make up a pully to go on the gear side of the crank as that is what would have been used to drive the chip chopper so no real need for a bright finish on the flywheel. You do see quite a few full size with painted flywheels and bright pullies, it's just that some people like a bit of Bling.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #403 on: July 28, 2018, 07:19:37 PM »
That's a beautiful engine, Jason. And it runs so well! :praise2:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline RayW

« Reply #404 on: July 28, 2018, 09:08:33 PM »
Beautifully done Jason and an excellent job finding a way round the casting defects. I would like to echo Jason's thanks to Graham for all his advice and encouragement to us all.

Ray
Ray

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal