Author Topic: A Robinson from rejects.  (Read 71950 times)

Online Chipmaster

Re: A Robinson from rejects.
« Reply #315 on: March 30, 2018, 10:01:27 PM »
Over the last 20 years I have also been using those Sievert 8852 burners in my Alyn Foundry Gardner 0 Type and have always taken spare burners to rallies in case the jets become blocked. I have a stock of five burners and each of them had the little felt pellet which I also presumed was a filter. I have always been able to clear them with a reverse blast of compressed air. However, I leave the filters out to ensure whatever caused the blockage has gone.

Here's a YouTube video of my hot tube  :o it shows two burners, one working at high pressure and the other at 2psi.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ld5cWtwtf0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ld5cWtwtf0</a>

Andy
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 08:20:18 PM by Chipmaster »

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #316 on: March 31, 2018, 11:08:12 AM »
Hi Andy.

Oh my, what a magnificent " hot tube " !!     ;D

Lovely to see the Gardner running so well, I presume the last bit of the video was using the LP burner into the " proper " gas ring ?

Cheers Graham.

Online Chipmaster

« Reply #317 on: March 31, 2018, 03:39:05 PM »
Hi Graham, pleased you were impressed by my hot tube.
You're right the last bit was indeed a proper gas ring using a 'low pressure' 8852 burner bored out to six thou.
To bore out the Sievert burner I bought a couple of packets of cheap  0.006" / 0.15mm drills from China and also made burners with 0.006" jets from scratch. However, at 2psi my low pressure burners only work with the gas ring, they don't produce a fierce needle sharp flame capable of heating a hot tube.

Andy

Offline Ian j

« Reply #318 on: April 02, 2018, 08:50:50 PM »
Re plumbed the low pressure gas  (again) to move the adjustable valve closer to the inlet valve chest using 5/32" tube, re drilled the  adapter to the inlet of the adjustable valve .3mm diam. ( smallest drill I have and see) Fitted studs for the crankshaft bearing caps. Made a new drip oilier ( similar to Jason's and Ray's)
 The engine now starts a lot easier. I experimented with different settings of the gas bottle regulator and found any thing under it's max (4 bar) the ignition tube did not get hot enough. Think I still need to restrict the low pressure gas as you will see in the video how sensitive it is.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM7m0ZHts5M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM7m0ZHts5M</a>

OOPs. should be ok now?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 09:31:42 PM by Ian j »

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #319 on: April 02, 2018, 09:15:32 PM »
Hi Ian.

Your video link appears to be missing.

Hello All.

Yesterday was spent at the Anson engine museum for the Spring opening event. In the attached video I'm in charge of the starting and running lamp.

This engine ( at present ) is a sole survivor of its type.... A Robinson type HA.

The governor is particularly interesting, a " Pendulum governor " rarely seen, and working beautifully.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlpRdfHx1Vk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlpRdfHx1Vk</a>

Some members may recall my mention of this type of unusual governor some time ago.

Cheers Graham.

Offline RayW

« Reply #320 on: April 02, 2018, 09:34:50 PM »
Well done Ian. Looks like it is running really nicely.Now it's going you can play around with the settings. I am just waiting for a couple of pipe fittings to finish my plumbing, then I have to make up the restrictor to the inlet valve. After that I should be ready to give it a try.

Ray

Graham, that's a really nice engine at the Anson. No doubt the excellent running was due in no small part to the skill of the blowlamp operator!
Ray

Offline scalemodel

« Reply #321 on: April 02, 2018, 10:13:04 PM »
Ian,
That is a nice model and running wel the more you play around with the gas the better it will get.

Graham
That robinson would make a lovely model

Jonathan

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #322 on: April 03, 2018, 11:13:14 AM »
Yes, well done Ian.

You can now understand, first hand how delicate the fuel control is!

Because of the truly heavy flywheel the Robinson seems to fire every other stroke once all is set nicely, I noticed that in your video, with a nod of approval.

The HA above was Robinson's ( tank cooled ) horizontal range that were built along side the " oblique " range that you're all building. The " pendulum " governor was also fitted to these on occasions. I'm not actually suggesting someone should try this, but....  As a cautionary note, for this form of governor to work properly the engine itself needs to be firmly anchored to a substantial base to prevent it rocking and ensure the pendulum swings.

Jonathan....

;)

Cheers Graham.

Offline RayW

« Reply #323 on: April 03, 2018, 04:32:57 PM »
Hi all,

Got a reply from the Sievert man today regarding the "cotton wool" plug in the back of the burner:

"That is a filter. As the orifice is 0.07mm in diameter it will block quite easily particularly if liquid propane tries to go through it so the filter helps most of the time".

That confirms what we suspected.

Ray

Ray

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #324 on: April 03, 2018, 05:21:25 PM »
Bu**er, now I need to find where that bit of fluff went ;)

Did not do anything on this one over the Easter but got another engine almost complete and played about trying to get the R&V vertical running - previous owner had made the needle valve hole too big so the needle just poked right through  :facepalm: Got a few more pops out of it with a new oversize needle but needs some more time spent fine tuning the ignitor.

Offline Ian j

« Reply #325 on: April 03, 2018, 05:27:50 PM »
Double bu**er. I never noticed if mine had any in,if it did it hasn't now. Is it just cotton wool?

Offline Ian j

« Reply #326 on: April 05, 2018, 01:29:31 PM »
A bit of tinkering this morning. Fitted a No.3 (.15mm) burner jet between the outlet of the needle valve and the inlet valve chest, this has improved the gas adjustment.
 Remade the key for the fly wheel which has got rid of some of the wobble ! and the clonking sound ( fly wheel was loose.)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #327 on: April 05, 2018, 06:36:27 PM »
Just ran through this thread. It's certainly full of fun and interest.
But I'm confused. How many engines are there and who all is building? :thinking:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline RayW

« Reply #328 on: April 05, 2018, 07:45:54 PM »
There are three current Robinson X type builds covered in this thread, by Jasonb, Ian j and myself.

RayW
Ray

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #329 on: April 05, 2018, 07:52:10 PM »
There are three current Robinson X type builds covered in this thread, by Jasonb, Ian j and myself.

RayW
Ah - okay, I was confused too!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal